The Top 40 Best-Selling Albums of 2020!

Blackout2006

Hey guys! :hiii_britney_wave_glaad_2018_waving_hello:

Last time, I had opened a thread on the 40 most popular songs of last year and now MediaTraffic has finally released the list for best-selling albums of 2020 which is a top 40 list including artist like Weeknd, Harry, Dua and etc on the list. Please note that these are equivalent sales (not pure copies) since MediaTraffic has been counting streaming services since 2016 or 2017.

ALBUMS

COUNTDOWN 2020

compiled and provided by
MediaTraffic

Map of the Soul: 7 - Wikipedia

1. BTS (Bangtan Boys) - Map Of The Soul: 7
Big Hit Entertainment - 6.519.000 equivalent sales
 2. BTS (Bangtan Boys) - BE
Big Hit Entertainment - 3.362.000 equivalent sales
3. Harry Styles - Fine Line
Erskine / Columbia - 3.265.000 equivalent sales
4. Pop Smoke - Shoot For The Stars, Aim For The Moon
Victor Victor / Republic - 3.260.000 equivalent sales
5. Taylor Swift - Folklore
Republic - 3.188.000 equivalent sales
6. The Weeknd - After Hours
XO Recordings / Republic - 3.174.000 equivalent sales
7. Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
Darkroom / Interscope - 3.146.000 equivalent sales
8. Post Malone - Hollywood's Bleeding
Republic - 3.004.000 equivalent sales
9. Juice WRLD - Legends Never Die
Grade A Productions / Interscope - 2.750.000 equivalent sales
10. Lil Baby - My Turn
Capitol / Motown - 2.571.000 equivalent sales
11. Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent
Vertigo / Virgin - 2.299.000 equivalent sales
12. Roddy Ricch - Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial
Atlantic - 2.235.000 equivalent sales
13. Lil Uzi Vert - Eternal Atake
Generation Now / Atlantic - 2.137.000 equivalent sales
14. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
Warner - 2.124.000 equivalent sales
15. Eminem - Music To Be ******** By
Aftermath / Shady / Interscope - 2.064.000 equivalent sales
16. Kenshi Yonezu - Stray Sheep
Sony Music Japan - 2.013.000 equivalent sales
17. Soundtrack - Frozen II
Walt Disney - 1.723.000 equivalent sales
18. DaBaby - Blame It On Baby
South Coast / Interscope - 1.687.000 equivalent sales
19. Luke Combs - What You See Is What You Get
Columbia Nashville - 1.683.000 equivalent sales
20. Justin Bieber - Changes
Def Jam - 1.648.000 equivalent sales
21. Lady GaGa - Chromatica
Interscope - 1.648.000 equivalent sales
22. Original Broadway Cast - Hamilton: An American Musical
Hamilton Uptown / Atlantic - 1.566.000 equivalent sales
23. Bad Bunny - YHLQMDLG
Rimas - 1.555.000 equivalent sales
24. Juice WRLD - Goodbye & Good Riddance
Grade A Productions / Interscope - 1.491.000
 equivalent sales
25. Queen - Greatest Hits
Hollywood / Parlophone - 1.451.000 equivalent sales
26. Seventeen - Heng:garae
Pledis Entertainment - 1.450.000 equivalent sales
27. Blackpink - The Album
YG Entertainment / Interscope - 1.415.000 equivalent sales
28. Travis Scott - Astroworld
Cactus Jack / Grand Hustle / Epic - 1.410.000 equivalent sales
29. Drake - Dark Lane Demo Tapes
OVO Sound / Republic - 1.408.000 equivalent sales
30 Halsey - Manic
Capitol - 1.375.000 equivalent sales
31. Taylor Swift - Lover
Republic - 1.369.000 equivalent sales
32. Ed Sheeran - No.6 Collaborations Project
Asylum / Atlantic - 1.345.000 equivalent sales
33. Post Malone - Beerbongs & Bentleys
Republic - 1.344.000 equivalent sales
34. Ed Sheeran - Divide
Asylum / Atlantic - 1.301.000 equivalent sales
35. Billie Eilish - Don't Smile At Me
Darkroom / Interscope - 1.240.000 equivalent sales
36. Elton John - Diamonds
Rocket / Virgin EMI - 1.211.000 equivalent sales
37. Seventeen - Semicolon
Dreamus / Pledis - 1.199.000 equivalent sales
38. NCT 127 - NCT#127: Neo Zone (The Final Round)
Sony Music Entertainment - 1.182.000 euqivalent sales
39. NCT - Resonance Part 1
Capitol / Dreamus / Sony Music - 1.181.000 equivalent sales
40. Luke Combs - This One's For You
Columbia Nashville - 1.159.000
 equivalent sales

As we can see here, the top spot has been taken over by the worlds biggest K-pop group, BTS with their 8th album "Map Of The Soul: 7" which became the only album from not only this year but since 2018 to shift over 5 million equivalent units globally. However, they weren't done yet!...they released another album a few weeks ago which featured the mega-smash hit "Dynamite" which sold 3 million copies in its first week alone, setting it at the #2 position. Congratulations @Invitation !
At #3 arrives Harry Style's sophomore effort "Fine Line" which is officially the best-selling western album of 2020..shifting over 3.265 million copies, outdoing his debut album in its first year of release, which was the 21st best-selling album of 2017 for selling over a million units. He is also the first British artist since Adele to have the highest-selling western album and the album now has accumulated 3.3 billion streams making it also the 4th most streamed album of 2020.

Taylor Swift leads the female game with highest-selling female album of this year with her folk-pop crossover album "Folklore" which not only debuted at #1 in the United World Charts for selling 1 million units, but became the best-selling album in the US. The album opened up with one of the biggest first-day streams in Spotify and to this day has sold over 3.188.000 equivalents.

At #6 is After Hours by Weeknd which included 2020's biggest hit "Blinding Lights". Not only did the album welcome massive acclaim in its first week alone with a monumental 83% score, it became a massive commercial success and proved to live up to the success of his last album which was Starboy. It is the third best-selling male album of the last year gathering  3,174,000 equivalents worldwide.

Billie Eilish well-known weapon is longevity and she simply proves it furthermore with this achievement. Her debut studio album "When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" even though released last year, managed to still crack into the top 10 making it the 7th best-selling album of 2020 for shifting over 3,146,000. What really is a mind-boggler is that it is just a few thousands of units away from almost outselling "After Hours" which was a newly-released album with massive promotion and hit song. Billie's feature does not stop here though, with her 2017 EP "Dont Smile At Me" being the 35th highest-selling record of 2020!

At #14 is the disco queen Dua Lipa AKA @CrazyButItFeelsAllright whom had the 14th highest-selling/3rd highest-selling female album of last year selling over 2.1+ million units globally with the most critically acclaimed female pop album of 2020, "Future Nostalgia". It even out-did her debut album which sold just 1.3 millions in its first year of release, breaking not only the sophomore-album curse but even the best new artist grammys curse! She has bagged so far 4 hits with her sophomore era including her latest top 10-hit single "Levitating". It is also the most streamed female album of 2020 and has even outsold Eminem whose latest album appears right after Future Nostalgia for selling over 2.0 million units.

Even though not as successful as the first soundtrack of the All-time blockbuster disney movie "Frozen", the soundtrack for the second movie is the 16th best-selling album of 2020 for shifting nearly 1,725,000 units which is still amazing for a soundtrack of a movie released just last year of November. Long live Arendelle!

At #20 & #21 are the new studio albums from artist whom had a seemingly long "studio-album" hiatus after the release of Purpose and Joanne...Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga. Both of their new albums "Changes" and "Chromatica" sold 1.648.000 equivalents WW and it was bad and good for one another. This has become a new low for Justin as it has become his first album not to crack to the top 15 of highest selling albums of a year, and was his first ever album to have sold below 2 million copies. Whereas for Lady Gaga, this has marked the true comeback nobody ever saw coming...returning back to her modernized-disco and dance-pop roots that made her famous but with a 90s House-pop twist to the magic. It has been her first album since 2013 to have sold over 1.5 million copies in their first year of release, after Joanne had sold an underwhelming 850k+ by 2016.

Blackpink has the higest-selling female k-pop album of the year with the ironically-titled album "The Album" which sold 1,4+ million equivalents becoming their highest selling album since their last album released in 2019. Congrats to the biggest female group in the world!

Dark Lane Demo Tapes has become a underperformance for Drake as it sold quite poorly for a rap-giant like him and albums like Positions by Ariana Grande didnt make the top 40.

What do you think of the list? Shocked? Happy? Lemme know :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

560C232D-D375-4789-B816-EE77AA6AA1C3.thumb.jpeg.ea253af1f0565038365ea8ca3ebbb7f0.jpeg

Edited by CrazyButItFeelsAllright
  • Love 2
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Confetti didn't make the list :otears_oprah_crying_tissue_napkin_tears_sobbing_sad:

I wish it was atleast in the 20, as a cute "I love you" for the little mixers to Jesy :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

It is the fourth biggest female album of 2020 and is about to surpass Chromatica here :wigsnatched_point_you_wow_yes_yas:

At least in the UK they are doing great :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad: Hopefully LM3 start doing promo internationally again or their awful label actually finally promote them in the US! 

Do you like Confetti?! this praise from you is so new:omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Slayer said:

It is the fourth biggest female album of 2020 and is about to surpass Chromatica here :wigsnatched_point_you_wow_yes_yas:

Really? But how would it surpass Chromatica if the #40 lowest selling was 1,159 million units, wouldnt Confetti need 500k more units in order to surpass Chromatica then? :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

And wouldnt it make it the 5th highest selling since blackpinks new album outsold :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

Regardless, this is amazing news! 5th highest selling album for a girl group with a trash label and decent promotion is a huge achievement and i am happy to see it :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom:

4 minutes ago, Slayer said:

At least in the UK they are doing great :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad: Hopefully LM3 start doing promo internationally again or their awful label actually finally promote them in the US! 

Ah yes, the UK really are die-hard mixers :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

4 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Do you like Confetti?! this praise from you is so new:omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

I havent listened to the record yet, but all the singles released from this era were great! i also was rooting for them since they all have gone through alot and it would be nice to see hard-working people get the success they deserve :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Really? But how would it surpass Chromatica if the #40 lowest selling was 1,159 million units, wouldnt Confetti need 500k more units in order to surpass Chromatica then? :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

And wouldnt it make it the 5th highest selling since blackpinks new album outsold :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

Regardless, this is amazing news! 5th highest selling album for a girl group with a trash label and decent promotion is a huge achievement and i am happy to see it :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom:

Ah yes, the UK really are die-hard mixers :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

I havent listened to the record yet, but all the singles released from this era were great! i also was rooting for them since they all have gone through alot and it would be nice to see hard-working people get the success they deserve :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

Nooo I mean surpassing Chromatica UK sales! :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: They definitely wouldn't pass internationally!

You need to listen and stan :holduplisten_hold_up_listen_preach_telling_wisdom_wise: Yes they do deserve, stream Little Mix for clear skin!

• Love 1

Nooo I mean surpassing Chromatica UK sales! :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: They definitely wouldn't pass internationally!

Oh okay lol! i was so confused :didilie_nicki_lmao_laugh_haha_lol_hehe_cackle_minaj_hat:

You need to listen and stan :holduplisten_hold_up_listen_preach_telling_wisdom_wise: 

Omg my listening schedule is so packed up, @Hooked-On-Knee just today told me to listen to george michaels discography, i have to listen to 1999 by Prince, and then check out some of David Bowies music :queenie_falling_dying_dead: but i will for sure check out their new album as a honor to Jesy :) 

2 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Yes they do deserve, stream Little Mix for clear skin!

And holiday for free holidays :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

• Haha 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block