This Day in Pop: 'Rolling in the Deep' turns 10!

DignifiedLove

rollinginthedeep.jpg.30bfaa404bffef8ed4c27f9b3df0599b.jpgab67616d0000b2736000f2a3f71f600debc3366a

'Rolling in the Deep', the lead single and opening track off of Adele's second studio album '21', became a worldwide phenomenon selling over 20 million copies to date and remains as one of the best-selling digital singles of all time. The track received widespread critical acclaim and became a commercial breakthrough, propelling Adele to global superstardom. The song reached number one in TWELVE countries, including on the Billboard Hot 100 where it was number one for seven weeks. 

Rolling Stone Magazine placed the track at number one on their list of "50 Best Singles of 2011". Time Magazine named "Rolling in the Deep" one of the Top 10 Songs of 2011. MTV chose the song as their "Song of the Year". The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop annual critics' poll ranked "Rolling in the Deep" as the top single of 2011. In 2019, Rolling Stone Consequence of Sound, and Pitchfork ranked the song as the 3rd, 8th, and 171st best song of the 2010s, respectively. Additionally, Time Magazine named it as one of the 10 best songs of the 2010s and Billboard chose the song as one the 100 "Songs That Defined the Decade".

Once again, happy 10 year anniversary to this CULTURAL RESET. :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

What an iconic song especially considering it isnt raunchy or generic.

Her success proves you can success without taking your clothes off

She really became the biggest breakout star that year. Her world domination amidst the era of the over-the-top, extravaganza acts who also dominated like Gaga / Nicki / Rih / Katy was impressive, I must say

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, AGUILEGEND IS A QUEEN said:

I always found RITD to be a bit overrated. idontknowney.gif 

Set FIre to the Rain is a masterpiece however. :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

I did get the appeal but they made me loathe it after I kept listening to it everywhere. Even this radio station my dad used to listen to that only played like classic hits from the 70s or 80s for some reason started playing this song too, and I was like :wyd_wtf_meme_hand_umm_wth_what_the_hell:

Someone like You remains my favorite though, and actually one of the few Adele songs I really love. Her talent is undeniable but I don't know why I'm not a huge fan of most of her songs. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I did get the appeal but they made me loathe it after I kept listening to it everywhere. Even this radio station my dad used to listen to that only played like classic hits from the 70s or 80s for some reason started playing this song too, and I was like :wyd_wtf_meme_hand_umm_wth_what_the_hell:

Someone like You remains my favorite though, and actually one of the few Adele songs I really love. Her talent is undeniable but I don't know why I'm not a huge fan of most of her songs. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

I mean I enjoy a lot of her music but can't say I'm a big fan or anything

This is one of her all-time greatest songs ever imo :fakecry_christina_aguilera_xtina_crying_tears_wipe_sad:

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Stefani said:

Ugh the birth of a legend. My scalp is still sore from having my weave snatched so many times by Adele's success. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

She really did that in the midst of an era INFILTRATED with Gaga clones wearing bubble wrap and paper mache as garment. I may not be a big fan but she really showed the girls how it's done. A true underdog. :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block