Who Are The 10 Most Important Pop Stars Of All Time?

7 hours ago, Turogue said:

Your list is nearly the most spot on but Cyndi? I mean she is known for 80s hits but you should have put Cher in her place, she had hits in four consecutive decades from the 60s to the 90s and she's still going.

Maybe you’re right. I was going to choose Cher, but Cyndi was to one of the most important singers from the 80’s because of her looks and different styles. But to be fair, even Elton John could be in that spot as well. Maybe 10. Elton John 11. Cher 12. Cyndi 

10 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Why you keep disrespecting Britney like that? :pika_pikachu_slap_fighting_hitting_mad:

I love Britney, but a lot of great and important artists came before her. I’m not saying that she’s less bc of it, she’s amazing, have a lot of talent that need to be explored. She’s the most important artist since the beginning of the 00’s. But compared to others, she arrived yesterday, and need to follow the path as many others did before her. Probably I was wrong to choose Cyndi as my 10th option, when Elton and Cher are strong machines that got the stardom and sustained it long before the 00’s generation. I even left out Kylie, the first female that hit number one in 5 different decades. 

• Love 1
On 11/26/2020 at 3:48 AM, AGUILEGEND IS A QUEEN said:

Depends on your definition of 'pop star' and I wouldn't be able to do an all-time but since the beginning of the MTV era in the early 80s, I'd say:

- 2Pac
- 50 Cent
- Aaliyah
- Adele
- Alanis Morissette
- Amy Winehouse
- Ariana Grande
- Avril Lavigne
- Beyoncé
- Billie Eilish
- Billy Joel
- Britney Spears
- Bruce Springsteen
- Celine Dion
- Christina Aguilera
- David Bowie
- Dr. Dre
- Drake
- Eminem
- George Michael
- Gloria Estefan
- Janet Jackson
- JAY-Z
- Jennifer Lopez
- Justin Bieber
- Justin Timberlake
- Kanye West
- Katy Perry
- Lady Gaga
- Lana Del Rey 
- Lil Wayne
- Madonna
- Mariah Carey
- Michael Jackson
- Miley Cyrus
- Missy Elliott
- Nicki Minaj
- P!nk
- Phil Collins
- Prince
- Ricky Martin
- Rihanna
- Sean Combs
- Selena
- Shakira
- Shania Twain
- Sting
- Taylor Swift
- Tina Turner
- The Notorious B.I.G.
- Whitney Houston

Without a doubt, all these artists helped define an era/genre and cemented their status as definitive pop music icons aka the best of the best. 

So you just listed every artist ever? It's a Top 10 floP :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

It feels really weird to include some, because as successful as they are, did they define and impact their time, or were they just a product of it? For Rihanna, I really think it's the latter. For a while she was really considered a trend-hopper. As hard working as she was, I don't think she really did anything outstanding to make her stand next to the likes of Madonna, music wise. Fenty is actually more impressive and it's the main reason I'd put her in my top 10 (though I won't lol)

For a lot of older artists they definitely feel like an epitome of their time. But just because we still use their stuff doesn't mean they were important. What I mean by this is, the music landscape would've changed and progressed just the same without them. 

Taylor's impact probably lies in some of her feminist messages; women aren't always the *****, men can be the ***** too. A man breaking a woman's heart, etc. A lot of her stuff is self-written too which is a plus in my book. But it's hard to tell because it feels recent and normal now. Everything has changed gradually, but maybe five years from now we'll be able to look back and see if she made any real change. 

MJ

Madonna

Prince

Britney

Selena

Whitney

Mariah

Lady Gaga

Aretha Franklin

Janet

On 11/29/2020 at 8:18 AM, janetjackson said:

But this lists of Billboard are based in the sales or positions in the Billboard lists, in this case the Hot 100. And lists its not the same that impact or importance.

And wow Janet its so big in the USA (Hot 100) its above Michael.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block