Ariana Grande's "positions" Album Review

5fcd6a3fa11375296cb3ed04f44c109c.1000x10

"Trapped."

(two minute read)

Within the span of three years [2018-2020] Grande has accomplished any recent female artists would've done, releasing three albums consecutively. And today, she delivered her newest offering in follow-up to her side jobs with Bieber and Gaga, to named a few of her collaborators.

The sixth installment of Grande's brand kicked off with the release of title track single, positions. It introduces a sultry take of God is a woman, while dressed up as the first lady of the White House for appropriation. Sonically, the lead song follows the acoustic elements of Stuck With U. And between the two, positions is obviously the underdog.

The obvious influences of hip-hop genre to Grande has became prominent overtime. While the trap sound is gradually becoming the new pop trend, the overused of these style and production are what the album's greatest issues. Most of the tracks end up having a very similar sound. And although the production is ambitiously mixed with other instrumentations, that effort is not not enough to rescue the potential bangers; shut up and love language for example.

As Grande started to drawn herself into songwriting and self-producing, positions demonstrates the lack of progressive direction. Most tracks share identical songwriting style and analogies of being too conversational. The absence of depth and figurative topics make the album's narrative less enjoyable despite the insightful opening tracks. Even the use of vile words sound rushed, and generalizing a very ridiculous idea.

The production efforts with some of the tracks exceptionally stand out, but the lyrics are too off-putting to reconsider them as bangers. shut up and my hair embrace this common flaw, and both share an awkward hook:

How you been spending your time? (How?)

How you be using your tongue? (How?)

You be so worried 'bout mine (Mine)

Can't even get yourself none

You know you sound so dumb (So dumb, so dumb) 

You know you sound so dumb (So dumb)

(lyrics taken from "shut up")

Grande's enunciation is one of her signatures. And despite the severity of mumbling, it surprisingly suits the some of the tracks such as 34+35, just like magic and nasty, heightening the swag-gy and playful attitudes. Still, the subtlety of her pronunciation is one of the things she has to improve regardless.

Moreover, some of the tracks still manage to showcase greater potentials; like the closing ballad, pov, a reminder of Grande's soaring vocal abilities that's missing in the album, and the flirtatious take to 7 rings, 34+35, that implies a chant-y and clever chorus.

Disappointingly, she has failed to redeem herself from the featured track's disaster since the Sweetener era. Like the monotonous attempt of the Weeknd's off the table, and the predictable rap verse of Cat, motive ends up one of those urban songs. safety net shares a different light though, arguably one of the best tracks but featured a wrong collaborator.

The lack of theme also makes the record indistinctive. Take the kinky and **** appeal of Dangerous Woman, the recovery and healing of Sweetener, and the romantic frustrations of thank u, next.

positions' somewhat started with another **** attempt she's been doing over the years. It has no identity or story to begin with, to captivate it's listeners.

Grande is probably at the point of comforting herself to a follow up, instead of finding a progressive sound. It isn't a bad thing at all, reinventing artistic image is not a requirement for any artists to be interesting. Some artists have a more tentative core, while others are conventional.

In general, releasing positions is a very brave decision to follow up thank, u next, considering how big her fifth album has become. It's probably not a highlight in her career, but still a tolerating gift to those who enjoy her discography.

Btw, here's my personal ranking of each tracks:

1. positions

2. 34+35

3. pov

4. safety net

5. just like magic

6. nasty

7. west side

8. love language

9. six thirty

10. obvious

11. motive

12. my hair

13. shut up

14. off the table

positions: 4/10

These are just my thoughts, but y'all think of the album?rev-ari.jpg.a7c2e413843d854c1c0e01147065d68c.jpg

Related:

Edited by Albert Aspera
  • Love 3
  • Like 2

Its an amazing review Albert! Long but worth the reading, and i applaud this review because it is T.R.U.E :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas: In my opinion, it was pretty gutsy of Ariana to release such a mediocre record after having the Best Album last year with Billie Eilish. It comes along the lane of Changes as one of the most disappointing releases of this year :queenriri_rihanna_red_wave_carpet_smile: But what do you expect, she never takes a freaking break. People be thinking this is her artistic peak when it clearly isn't, as this record plainly shows as an excuse for Ariana as she cannot leave this genre to seethe as a Late-2010s Fad :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: Overall, boring album...5.1 for me.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Its an amazing review Albert! Long but worth the reading, and i applaud this review because it is T.R.U.E :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas: In my opinion, it was pretty gutsy of Ariana to release such a mediocre record after having the Best Album last year with Billie Eilish. It comes along the lane of Changes as one of the most disappointing releases of this year :queenriri_rihanna_red_wave_carpet_smile: But what do you expect, she never takes a freaking break. People be thinking this is her artistic peak when it clearly isn't, as this record plainly shows as an excuse for Ariana as she cannot leave this genre to seethe as a Late-2010s Fad :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: Overall, boring album...5.1 for me.

Thank you so much! :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

Well, I think Ariana was hype-ing this record so much because it showcased her personal efforts and contributions in the whole album.

It's so sad because I always thought she has a very cohesive discography, can't believe she will produced this kind of... abomination. 

Guess it will never grow on me like Sweetener did. Been playing it now for two days straight, and I'm running out of alibis to listen to it. :clown_meme__makeup_green:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Albert Aspera said:

Thank you so much! :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

Well, I think Ariana was hype-ing this record so much because it showcased her personal efforts and contributions in the whole album.

It's so sad but I always thought she has a very cohesive discography, can't believe she produced this kind of... abomination. 

Guess it will never grow in me like Sweetener did. Been playing it now for two days straight, and I'm running out of alibis to listen to it. :clown_meme__makeup_green:

EXACTLY! All the anticipation and hype for such a mediocre "body of work" was so useless. Everyone was expecting an amazing follow-up to Thank U, Next (Just like how we got In The Zone (her 2nd Best album) after Britney peaked in Self-titled) but all we got was some rebundant over-produced Trap rubbish people will only remember because it is Ariana. I feel that the album is going to tank honestly :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Blackout2006 said:

EXACTLY! All the anticipation and hype for such a mediocre "body of work" was so useless. Everyone was expecting an amazing follow-up to Thank U, Next (Just like how we got In The Zone (her 2nd Best album) after Britney peaked in Self-titled) but all we got was some rebundant over-produced Trap rubbish people will only remember because it is Ariana. I feel that the album is going to tank honestly :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: 

Eventually, it will peak No.1 on BC200 (shame Dangerous Woman didn't) out of technicality. But yeah, I agree that it will plummet down in following weeks.

Btw, it's not the charts Ariana should worry about but the reviews from critics. She'd been a critic darling from her recent albums, wonder how hard they will slam this generously. And of course, those haters that will take the opportunity to pun around.

• Love 1

What if this is only a marketing strategy? :zoomzoom_britney_annoyed_irritated_blink:

I mean, Ariana intentionally released a less enthusiastic record so she can build a momentum for her next album after this. She's in top of her game right now, and losing a few cards with a mediocre era will not cost her to bounce back commercially and artistically.

20 hours ago, Albert Aspera said:

Eventually, it will peak No.1 on BC200 (shame Dangerous Woman didn't) out of technicality. But yeah, I agree that it will plummet down in following weeks.

Btw, it's not the charts Ariana should worry about but the reviews from critics. She'd been a critic darling from her recent albums, wonder how hard they will slam this generously. And of course, those haters that will take the opportunity to pun around.

Idk im not getting great vibes of a monstrous era :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe:

• Love 1

Thanks for your review!

I gave it a second spin yesterday with the hopes of it to grow on me. I love Ari and I want to like her music. Nevertheless, that second listen didn’t do much for me. 

Ariana is exceptionally talented to give herself to the awful trap trends. Her gifted voice deserves flawless production. 

I now feel better about tracks such as ‘Safety Net’ and ‘Just Like Magic’. But the ones that let me down are still a big disappointment (‘Off the Table’). 

I do support grow and evolution, but Max Martin is greatly missed in this project. Maybe a future record will mend all of that. 

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Albert Aspera said:

I hope you actually read the whole article before labeling me a "hater". 

But aren't you the same person who made a thread about thank u, next being overrated or something?

There's clearly a trend going on. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green: It's evident that you're obsessed with Ari as I have not seen you make these "reviews" (if you can even call it that) on other artists but Katy Perry (who you stan).

Word to the wise, and also to you. I'd review my grammar first, before reviewing albums. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

• Haha 4
  • Content Curators

There are some standout tracks. I disagree with some parts of your review, but also agree with some. I think this is a very cohesive effort.

I love songs like motive, 34+35, positions, pov, just like magic, safety net, my hair, but a lot of the others fall on the bland side (not bad but not good either). The lyrics overall of this album is generally bad.

POV is just beautiful. 

Overall, i think this album is serviceable, like just an addition to stans who will appreciate it, but not a highlight of her career. maybe 6 or 6.5/10 for me.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block