19 years ago , Jlo and Ja Rule's "I'm Real (****** Remix)" topped the hot 100 (but also remember Jlo said the N-word in that song)

@Spicechinodiva @monkeystar88 @Stefani @Isla If I understand correctly, only Black artists (or half-Black artists) may use the N-word in songs... I understand the concept of reappropriation (gay people purposely using the term "fa.....", Black people purposely using the N-word, etc.). This means that it is okay for Lil' Wayne (Black) or Drake (mixed-race, half-Black) to often use the N-word in their songs. It may be okay for Nicki Minaj (Carribbean blood), Cardi B (Carribbean blood) or Doja Cat (Carribbean blood) to use that term, but not J-Lo (Hispanic)... If so, Mariah Carey should be entitled to freely use that term since her father was Black, right?

This is all semantics to me in the sense the N-word is usually used in those songs as a term of endearment or as a synonym for "fellow" or "guy." What matters to me is the intent. What if 10 people (incl. 5 non-Black people) were in a room singing/miming along to some rap music and the N-word came up? Should the 5 non-Black people automatically stop singing/miming along every time the N-word came up? Wouldn't that look pretty weird? It would to me... I would not take offence (I'm Black) if all 10 kept singing/miming.

I just find it weird that a certain word can only ever be used in songs by artists that are deemed to have enough Black blood or ancestry... Non-Black people are literally forbidden to sing/mime along to those songs... This is why I, for one, do not and will not use the N-word in my songs.

@bas che @Gayseus911 @wehoyon771 I'm with you on this.

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

@Spicechinodiva @monkeystar88 @Stefani @Isla If I understand correctly, only Black artists (or half-Black artists) may use the N-word in songs... I understand the concept of reappropriation (gay people purposely using the term "fa.....", Black people purposely using the N-word, etc.). This means that it is okay for Lil' Wayne (Black) or Drake (mixed-race, half-Black) to often use the N-word in their songs. It may be okay for Nicki Minaj (Carribbean blood), Cardi B (Carribbean blood) or Doja Cat (Carribbean blood) to use that term, but not J-Lo (Hispanic)... If so, Mariah Carey should be entitled to freely use that term since her father was Black, right?

This is all semantics to me in the sense the N-word is usually used in those songs as a term of endearment or as a synonym for "fellow" or "guy." What matters to me is the intent. What if 10 people (incl. 5 non-Black people) were in a room singing/miming to along some rap music and the N-word came up? Should the 5 non-Black people automatically stop singing/miming along every time the N-word came up? Wouldn't that look pretty weird? It would to me... I would not take offence (I'm Black) if all 10 kept singing/miming.

I just find it weird that a certain word can only ever be used in songs by artists that are deemed to have enough Black blood or ancestry... Non-Black people are literally forbidden to sing/mime along to those songs... This is why I, for one, do not and will not use the N-word in my songs.

@bas che @Gayseus911 @wehoyon771 I'm with you on this.

Yeah I’m baffled by the word too. I honestly think it’s a stupid and offensive word and I’m aware it’s a racial slur towards blacks, yet many black artists will happily use it in their own songs.... it doesn’t make any sense to me.

• Like 1
  • Super Mods

Omg it was written by black people and produced by black people and it’s intention was to gain the urban market, like it wasn’t THAT bad as the media made it out to be. 

The real issue is that Tommy pulled out all the stops like purposefully yanked ja rule from his tour just to shoot the music video and rush the release just to prevent his ex wife from getting a number 1. 

No.

Why would she have to? A lot of rap music contains the N word. Look at N. In Paris.....it's okay to use it in rap music but not okay in pop music and more detailled in a remix of almost 20 years old? Come on...people are taking it too far. I find it quite hypocritic honestly. Or you ban the word entirely or you don't but saying one can't use and and some others however can is complete BS imo.

Who even has got time to dig all of this up lmao.

To be clear; I am pro banning the word but only if its ENTIRELY banned for EVERYONE.

Same goes for the fa...t word used by gays. Just because I am gay doesn't give me the right to use such a harmful word. N. and fa... have hateful origins and that doesn't change when a gay or black person uses it. It's herritage stays as bad as it is. 

As long as people keep using the word, it will live on which it shouldn't so let us al agree that NOBODY should use this word and colour, ****** oriantation or whatever doesn't change a thing.

• Like 1
On 9/10/2020 at 3:12 PM, Urbanney said:

I had no idea who Ja Rule was or had heard of him until Fyre Festival :quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke:

I've never heard of this song either, but if it features Ja Rule and JLo says the n-word, then:

britney spears GIF

How do u not know who ja rule is and this song? Thats wack af

u need to listen always on time, put it on me, down *** *****, if we

11 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

No.

Why would she have to? A lot of rap music contains the N word. Look at N. In Paris.....it's okay to use it in rap music but not okay in pop music and more detailled in a remix of almost 20 years old? Come on...people are taking it too far. I find it quite hypocritic honestly. Or you ban the word entirely or you don't but saying one can't use and and some others however can is complete BS imo.

Who even has got time to dig all of this up lmao.

To be clear; I am pro banning the word but only if its ENTIRELY banned for EVERYONE.

Same goes for the fa...t word used by gays. Just because I am gay doesn't give me the right to use such a harmful word. N. and fa... have hateful origins and that doesn't change when a gay or black person uses it. It's herritage stays as bad as it is. 

As long as people keep using the word, it will live on which it shouldn't so let us al agree that NOBODY should use this word and colour, ****** oriantation or whatever doesn't change a thing.

Omg chill. Its a completely different thing when black people say it. If youre not black dont say it. And If it ends with an A rather than an er it’s completely different.

yes if youre gay than you have more of a say if the f word is used. As a white person how r u gonna say where or not black people should use it now. White people used it as a derogatory term so black people have taken back the word. That is mostly their decision. How r u to say what they cant and not say among their own people. 

By the way: Rihanna gets punished for used the N-word too. :ririshade2:This is ridiculous! And I don´t want to be a racist, I don´t care for this stuff, but Jlo is not white. Her roots are from Puerto Rico.

Why do we care for such a nonsense instead of spending time together and make the world a beautiful and safe place for everyone?!:surething:We are all here on this earth and have to live together if we want it or not.:checkit:And we are all connected.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, helloitsme said:

Omg chill. Its a completely different thing when black people say it. If youre not black dont say it. And If it ends with an A rather than an er it’s completely different.

yes if youre gay than you have more of a say if the f word is used. As a white person how r u gonna say where or not black people should use it now. White people used it as a derogatory term so black people have taken back the word. That is mostly their decision. How r u to say what they cant and not say among their own people. 

You can't say some peiple have the privillege of using words and some not. That's just plain dumb. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block