19 years ago , Jlo and Ja Rule's "I'm Real (****** Remix)" topped the hot 100 (but also remember Jlo said the N-word in that song)

19 years ago Jlo and Ja Rule topped the Hot 100 with "I'm Real (****** Remix)."

While celebratory, Billboard changed the remix rules, even though both songs are called "I'm Real." The ****** Remix was a completely different song after the music industry called foul on Billboard. 

The original version, which uses the firecracker sample, is another controversy in itself. 

That birthed a lifelong hatred of Jlo from Mariah and her Lambs. 

Although some say the hatred and anger should be aimed at Tommy Mottola (and not Jlo) as some believe she had no idea what was going behind the scenes and is innocent of Tommy's ~evil ways.~ 

Also another controversy.... Jlo said the N word (cringe worthy then and still is). I think if I was Jlo, I would ask Sony Music to censor that word out. Capitol Records did it to all explicit versions of Friday night by Lily Allen, removing the "c" word, but kept all explicit content.

Still to this day, The c word is actually more accepted in the UK, but never the US. 

So my question is, do you think Jlo should request Sony music to remove the racist word on the explicit album from her verse?

jlo-ja.jpg.9a91f7fc7f2d7bbb2cbffe9c159713d7.jpg

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Iconic 4 U said:

I didn't know this, what a mess

Ja Rule wrote the lyrics. Spice is older than me acting like they weren’t different times and she didn’t say it on her own. Funny he doesn’t mention his queen used the slur barely 6 years ago and she’s what? 62? Was 56 at the time? Old enough to know the difference? https://www.cnn.com/2014/01/18/showbiz/madonna-n-word-apology/index.html

• Love 4
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Ja Rule wrote the lyrics. Spice is older than me acting like they weren’t different times and she didn’t say it on her own. Funny he doesn’t mention his queen used the slur barely 6 years ago and she’s what? 62? Was 56 at the time? Old enough to know the difference? https://www.cnn.com/2014/01/18/showbiz/madonna-n-word-apology/index.html

Omg :ohwut:

• Like 2

I was 11 when this song came out :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: and it was a smash at the time. It was all over the radio and MTV :parisok: Anyway, I bought the remix album and had the original album too. I don't recall the info circulating regarding Mariah/JLo etc at the time...it was more hush hush (no social media at the time)but look who is having the last laugh and who is flopping now :gunriah:

Also, there was controversy regarding JLo using the N word at the time but I believe the media silenced the black community :(

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I used to love J. Lo's music growing up... I had the J. Lo, J To That L-O Remix album, This is Me... Then, and Rebirth CD's and would listen to them on repeat... although, I have to admit Rebirth made me lose interest in her music and I haven't listened to an album in full by her since. 

I remember when "I'm Real (Remix)" was #1 and all the cool kids in 6th grade would sing the song and jam to it. What a time to be alive.  I remember letting a girl borrow my J.Lo CD in school because she loved "Play" and we would always get so shocked when she said the F word. :gagasmile: Funny looking back I didn't realize her saying the N word was all that bad because the hispanic community I grew up around threw it around like it was nothing. :hideous:

Anyway, stream:

Walking On Sunshine (From the J. Lo album) - SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SINGLE!!! :werk:

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Madonna apologized, Jlo didn't

I actually do remember J.Lo apologizing for it. I'm not saying anyone has to accept her apology (black, or white), but I do remember her responding to the N-word backlash. Maybe, it wasn't a good apology? I don't know, or remember. :fran:

You know that if 2001 was 2011, Twitter feeds and Facebook news would be having a field day about it. :runga:

• Like 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block