What are your favorite and least favorite music trends?

For me, my probably top 2 favorite trends are:

• The tropical house moody pop that was most popular from 2015-2018 (Justin Bieber’s Purpose, Glory, Selena Gomez, Julia Michaels)
  • The r&b-infused dark electropop trend in 2006-2007 (Blackout, Futuresex/Lovesounds, Nelly Furtado, Keri Hilson)

Also, this seems to be an unpopular opinion here on Exhale, but I really liked the trend of having beat drops as choruses rather than melodies. 

My least favorite music trends:

• The hyper-aggressive overproduced EDM of 2011-2013. I liked some of it at the time, but looking back, it’s aged so poorly and was just such a weird time. Does anyone remember What Does the Fox Say?, Gangnam Style, and furries low-key going mainstream? Such a weird time, I hated it.
  • K-Pop: tumblr_mdiisdjusT1qihp55o1_250.gif

What are your favorite and least favorite music trends?

7563021F-7D43-4105-8AD4-A59C655599B4.jpeg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

My favorite music trend is Britney Spears. A trend that lasted from 1999-2005. :barbie:

My least favorite is the depression trend. The prevailing theme in today's music. The subject of mental health and depression and suicide and sadness. I'm not into that. :imacat:

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 3
37 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

My favorite music trend is Britney Spears. A trend that lasted from 1999-2005. :barbie:

My least favorite is the depression trend. The prevailing theme in today's music. The subject of mental health and depression and suicide and sadness. I'm not into that. :imacat:

I agree. The depression thing was refreshing at first because pop music was basically only happy, high-energy songs, but now it's like only sad, dark songs. Thank God for Dua  Lipa and Future Nostalgia giving us fresh happy 80s summer vibes.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Urbanney said:

I agree. The depression thing was refreshing at first because pop music was basically only happy, high-energy songs, but now it's like only sad, dark songs. Thank God for Dua  Lipa and Future Nostalgia giving us fresh happy 80s summer vibes.

Yeah totally. It's okay for one or two songs but when we already have Logic's 1-800 song and then Ariana does it, and then Billie does it, and everyone else does it. I can't. :eheeek:

• Love 1
1 minute ago, AmorProhibido said:

I absolutely do not get K-Pop. Or at least, the current K-Pop. Early 2000s K-Pop like BoA is phenomenal and sounds like a mixture of NSYNC/BSB/Britney. It's amazing. However, the newer stuff sounds like mass produced garbage. It sounds very soulless. 

OMG you listened to K-Pop too? Late 2000s and early 2010s is the Golden Age of K-Pop. Which was when I stanned. I no longer follow K-Pop cause I cannot appreciate the sound. It's so different now. Plus, all my idols have either disbanded or is on indefinite hiatus anyway so there's really nothing for me to go back to. :imacat:

• Love 2

,Well right now...

Favorite Trends-

- The 70s-90s Techno and synth pop and disco slowly rising:letitburn:: I really love how they r sampling music from the best eras of music and making amazing music:rihclap:I am so glad that this trend has overtaken the top spot for most popular music genre. Future nostalgia, After hours, Say so, Stupid love, SAWAYAMA, Daises, Maniac all are simply fantastic music released this year that follow those genres:bsass:

Howeveeerrrrr.......

Least favorite trend-

Commercial Hip hop/trap/rap (from 2005 onwards) :typing:- It’s the absolute WORSE:byesmoke: I don’t get how people listen to music where they play the same repetitive beats, write some gibberish, talking only about girls, money, houses, Lamborghini and Ferrari’s, cannot go without putting ATLEAST ONE swear word in a verse, put some trap beats in, horrible music videos and no class and then they call it “rEaL MuSIc” :airpls: like sis hell no:jlostare: it’s so sad to where rap came from to how it is now:tiffsniffle: from 2pac, The notorious B.I.G, Eminem, Lauryn hill and Missy Elliot to freaking lil pump:shocked:, Travis scott:ohwut: (the only song I EVER enjoyed of his was Astroworld), migos:nydisgust:, future:sobbing:, and 6ix9ine :orangu:. How is it possible? What happened to writing meaning and substance to songs?:mhm: I am so glad that hip-hop is slowly falling off the charts and I am thanking the lord for it. God I hope that hip-hop has a HARD death this decade (similar to of disco, only difference was that disco was freaking AMAZING:werk:) and those so-called “Rappers” are no more that famous. Oof I spit here.

Gender double standards- If a woman spits the truth, she is bitter and un-classy. If a man basically says the same thing, he was applauded and praised for it:watrusayin: if a woman collabs with any trending artist, they are called desperate. But if a man does it, they are called smart:zoomzoom: if a female artist album debuts with 100-120k sales, she is called a flop. But if a mans debut sales are 20k-40k, it’s considered a huge hit:mcorangu: once a woman is 35+ years old, her time of relevancy is up. But if Eminem were 60 years old, his albums will still sell like hotcakes:chrissy:  now we are living in 2020. Please end this 💩

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

OMG you listened to K-Pop too? Late 2000s and early 2010s is the Golden Age of K-Pop. Which was when I stanned. I no longer follow K-Pop cause I cannot appreciate the sound. It's so different now. Plus, all my idols have either disbanded or is on indefinite hiatus anyway so there's really nothing for me to go back to. :imacat:

They really were. :tbh: And I feel you, the group I really loved, TVXQ (or DBSK if you're more familiar with their J-Pop :gimmemoar:), are just a duo now and the sound is not at all the same. :kidcries: Though I love J-Pop more than K-Pop so there's plenty of idols left for me to stan. :barbie:

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I love the dark and moody electro pop vibes but I’m tired of the mumble whisper pop stuff. Please bring dance pop back is the best. 

sameee, dark pop is the best, and I'm enough of all that whispering 

+ I hate overly auto tuned songs, awful :eheeek:
I don't get auto tune at all
I love that Future Nostalgia includes pure sounding vocals

• Love 1
  • Leader
3 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

- The 70s-90s Techno and synth pop and disco slowly rising:letitburn:: I really love how they r sampling music from the best eras of music and making amazing music:rihclap:I am so glad that this trend has overtaken the top spot for most popular music genre. Future nostalgia, After hours, Say so, Stupid love, SAWAYAMA, Daises, Maniac all are simply fantastic music released this year that follow those genres:bsass:

:katycry: Nailed it

• Haha 1
  • Content Curators
18 minutes ago, JordanMiller said:

I'm so happy to read someone else feels this way. 

I used to judge myself so much when I was writing about music cause I would see all these other music sites trashing a song and I was thinking 'but it's a bopppp?!' :lollipop:

Yes I feel it's a mind set where people get used to liking music from a certain time of their life but I feel that you have to expand, people miss out on so much amazing new music, so many great artist go unnoticed.

I wanna be there when you touch fire

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block