Are you guys multilinguals?

IUSAtonight

I suppose every non-native english speaker here, speaks at least English decently but other than that?

Are you learning any languages atm? How? :mj: 

Personally, apart from my mother tongue (Greek), I speak English, which I understand very well but have trouble expressing my thoughts in it. Also, my grammar is a bit off.

I can also speak some German but not very well (B1-B2). Hallo, wie geht es euch allen? :hiii:

Right now I'm trying to learn some basic Spanish with Duolingo. I'm at a very early stage tho. :mhm:

What about you?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kalispera 😉

I have two mother tongues: Croatian & German. Started learning English at the age of 3, speak Spanish (understand everything, should communicate in it more), Italian (a bit less than Spanish but understand it very well), very beginner French and Romanian, know about 10 Greek words or phrases but want to learn Swedish, Portuguese, Icelandic and French! 

I hold a master's degree in English and German so I am not a "normal" case here but LOVE languages and think it's great to learn them. It gives you so many perks while traveling. 

Sorry, didn't want to brag, just passionate about it 🤷🏽‍♂️

Latvian is my mother tongue. :brityes:

I can obviously speak English and have always been able to for as long as I can remember. I can thank cartoons, music and YouTube for that. :unbothered:

I know Russian, but I'm definitely below average. I can understand things pretty well and I can also read, but when it comes to writing / talking / grammar I'm absolute trash (even though I had like 6 years of obligatory Russian at school). :ponderney:

I've been taking Norwegian for a bit over a semester, and I can already speak / write / understand at a pretty decent level. At this point, I'm already much better at Norwegian than I am at Russian. :jtum:

Lastly, I can read Korean, but I only know like 20 words, so yeah... :embarrassed: Definitely planning on actually learning Korean, though. :barbie:

42 minutes ago, IgorMarleyBasic said:

Kalispera 😉

I have two mother tongues: Croatian & German. Started learning English at the age of 3, speak Spanish (understand everything, should communicate in it more), Italian (a bit less than Spanish but understand it very well), very beginner French and Romanian, know about 10 Greek words or phrases but want to learn Swedish, Portuguese, Icelandic and French! 

I hold a master's degree in English and German so I am not a "normal" case here but LOVE languages and think it's great to learn them. It gives you so many perks while traveling. 

You're allowed to brag. That's very impressive and very awesome! Especially since you're genuinely passionate about it. :katybelt: I'm doing a bachelor's in English / Norwegian right now, and I wish I'd picked this major sooner instead of wasting a year in law school (especially considering I'd always been good at languages). You live and you learn, I guess. :barbie:

52 minutes ago, IgorMarleyBasic said:

Kalispera 😉

Καλησπέρα και σε σένα :saycheese:

22 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Latvian is my mother tongue. :brityes:

I can obviously speak English and have always been able to for as long as I can remember. I can thank cartoons, music and YouTube for that. :unbothered:

I know Russian, but I'm definitely below average. I can understand things pretty well and I can also read, but when it comes to writing / talking / grammar I'm absolute trash (even though I had like 6 years of obligatory Russian at school). :ponderney:

I've been taking Norwegian for a bit over a semester, and I can already speak / write / understand at a pretty decent level. At this point, I'm already much better at Norwegian than I am at Russian. :jtum:

Lastly, I can read Korean, but I only know like 20 words, so yeah... :embarrassed: Definitely planning on actually learning Korean, though. :barbie:

:OMGney: You guys are impressive. I wish I had the discipline to study more and consistently but I get bord easily. I wish to continue with German and learn it better but we'll see :ipass: Also, @iAlwaysSingLive did you start learning Korean cause of K-pop? It sounds interesting but that alphabet and pronunciation seems like huge pain in the butt

english is not my mother tongue  i learned it in university and i love the language:mcry: .  i still try to practice it and watch some of the shows in english. i speak 2 other languages-first one  is my mother tongue which i speak really rarely  and second one is official language of the country which i speak most of the time. i also learned spanish for 3 months - i can only say basic things. i think i need to start learning it again just in case if we gonna go to Spain when this coronavirus pandemic will end.

1 minute ago, IUSAtonight said:

Also, @iAlwaysSingLive did you start learning Korean cause of K-pop? It sounds interesting but that alphabet and pronunciation seems like huge pain in the butt

Yup! I'm THAT K-Pop fan. :haha: Actually, the Korean alphabet is really easy. Honestly, it only took me like a few hours to memorize all of the symbols. You'd think it'd be harder because Japanese and Mandarin are insanely difficult, but there's only like 25ish unique symbols if I remember correctly. :omgreallyney: The pronunciation is a bit of a pain, though. :sipney:

Archived