Scooter Braun Now Owns All Of Taylor Swift's Master Recordings

Jordan Miller

• Leader

taylor-swift-scooter-braun.jpg

SCOOTER BRAUN, WHO MANAGES JUSTIN BIEBER, J. BALVIN, ARIANA GRANDE AND MORE, PURCHASED BIG MACHINE RECORDS FOR $300 MILLION.

Scooter Braun is making money moves. The famous manager just acquired Big Machine and its roster of artists, including Sheryl Crow, Lady Antebellum, Thomas Rhett, Rascal Flatts and Florida Georgia Line, the Wall Street Journal reports. That also includes all of Taylor Swift’s masters for her first six albums (so everything pre-Lover). This is in addition to the artists he oversees on music publishing company, Schoolboy Records label with Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Zac Brown Bandand J. Balvin

Swift has since moved onto Universal’s Republic Records where she’ll reportedly have more control over her new material moving forward.

“We decided to build our own thing that makes us part of the global conversation,” Mr. Braun said. Thanks to the combined companies’ roster of high-profile artists and assets, he adds, “we’ve got a seat at the table.”

Braun’s move raises several questions amongst Swifties. Why didn’t Taylor fork over the dough to own her own material? And what exactly will Braun do with her music moving forward? As owner, he may have opportunities now to utilize it in capacities that Swift would have originally never intended.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: Check out a complete roundup of the events that have transpired in the last 24 hours on the main page: 

https://www.breatheheavy.com/taylor-swift-scooter-braun/

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Leader

UPDATE: Taylor penned a note about it, and she's not happy.

For years I asked, pleaded for a chance to own my work. Instead I was given an opportunity to sign back up to Big Machine Records and ‘earn’ one album back at a time, one for every new one I turned in. I walked away because I knew once I signed that contract, Scott Borchetta would sell the label, thereby selling me and my future. I had to make the excruciating choice to leave behind my past. Music I wrote on my bedroom floor and videos I dreamed up and paid for from the money I earned playing in bars, then clubs, then arenas, then stadiums.

Some fun facts about today’s news: I learned about Scooter Braun’s purchase of my masters as it was announced to the world. All I could think about was the incessant, manipulative bullying I’ve received at his hands for years.

Like when Kim Kardashian orchestrated an illegally recorded snippet of a phone call to be leaked and then Scooter got his two clients together to bully me online about it. (See photo) Or when his client, Kanye West, organized a revenge **** music video which strips my body naked. Now Scooter has stripped me of my life’s work, that I wasn’t given an opportunity to buy. Essentially, my musical legacy is about to lie in the hands of someone who tried to dismantle it.

This is my worst case scenario. This is what happens when you sign a deal at fifteen to someone for whom the term ‘loyalty’ is clearly just a contractual concept. And when that man says ‘Music has value’, he means its value is beholden to men who had no part in creating it.

When I left my masters in Scott’s hands, I made peace with the fact that eventually he would sell them. Never in my worst nightmares did I imagine the buyer would be Scooter. Any time Scott Borchetta has heard the words ‘Scooter Braun’ escape my lips, it was when I was either crying or trying not to. He knew what he was doing; they both did. Controlling a woman who didn’t want to be associated with them. In perpetuity. That means forever.

Thankfully, I am now signed to a label that believes I should own anything I create. Thankfully, I left my past in Scott’s hands and not my future. And hopefully, young artists or kids with musical dreams will read this and learn about how to better protect themselves in a negotiation. You deserve to own the art you make.
I will always be proud of my past work. But for a healthier option, Lover will be out August 23.

Sad and grossed out,
Taylor

11 minutes ago, maquisl said:

You kidding? There are fans who want him as her manager?They are crazy :nyheadache: He's awful and this is just another proof :mhm:

Oh, my God, yes. He comes up every time someone asks "who do you think should manage Britney?", and that was even before the FB drama. (He came up during it, too.) :nyheadache: But yeah, he really is awful, and I'm glad it's finally out there now. I feel horrible for Taylor and the other artists he owns, frankly.

40 minutes ago, f**knfurter said:

Oh, my God, yes. He comes up every time someone asks "who do you think should manage Britney?", and that was even before the FB drama. (He came up during it, too.) :nyheadache: But yeah, he really is awful, and I'm glad it's finally out there now. I feel horrible for Taylor and the other artists he owns, frankly.

Yeah he is the main one I see. Honestly it’s probably really hard to find a decent manager. Ppl are greedy. 

4 hours ago, f**knfurter said:

:ugh: I dont know much about him tbh but for the things I know, I'm sure he's probably one of the worst managers out there. I don't want him near Britney at all. I don't know why someone would want him as her manager, it's not that hard to find all the rumos and info about him. 

I really hated when Hilary Duff (I'm abig fan of her since 2003) announced that he was her new manager. Thanks God she's not interested in music anymore.

Ah, I see Taylor has made the final transition out of her  Reputation era and back where she’s most comfortable... in the role of victim. Didn’t take long for people to start poking holes in her story. Like they always do. Looking forward to hear from more people on this. 

Sorry Taylor, I’m sure if you offered up $300 million to purchase the entire label and it’s assets instead of banking on the “honor system” of a corporation who’s sole purpose is to turn a profit, you wouldn’t be in this position. That’s show biz baby. 

13 hours ago, Itscuzim31 said:

That’s show biz baby. 

Honestly, if what Taylor is saying is true, it doesn't matter if "That's show biz" or not, it would still be a s**tty thing for Scooter to do (bully her in ways she described) and she has all the rights to be annoyed at the fact that all her work, from the beginning of her career to her most recent outputs, is now the property of a person she seriously dislikes.

14 hours ago, MikeSim said:

Britney honestly should be managed by him. She could actually be somewhat relevant again for music and not her messy *** fans and their conspiracies.

So, you're telling me that Brit should be managed by this dude, who  *supposedly* bullied an artist, just for the sake of relevancy? Sure, great idea. :sneer:

2 hours ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzW370HA7or/?igshid=b18im1xqlfje

Lol Demi should have just kept her mouth shut :weusay: Ariana is Scooter's client too but she hasn't made a single statement on this, which was the right move.

LOL Demi has been having beef with Taylor for years! Anytime something about Taylor comes out she jumps right on it to trash Taylor. 

But considering Demi only signed with Scooter 2 months ago and has yet to release anything with him yet as her manager I don’t think she is the best one to be speaking on his character and loyalty yet. 

It would be more believable for Ariana to say something, but homegirl too busy to get involved in this mess. 

Idk what to think yet. Its known that the entertainment industry is shady as **** and people are money hungry. BUT Taylor also has a long history of playing the victim card and she has a new album coming out soon sooooo...

Archived