YouTube is remastering music videos

popprison

3 minutes ago, DayvinDazone said:

I think @floopy22 means the resolution of your screen. I used to have a 1280x1024 (4:3) monitor back in the day and I'd get huge lags when trying to play 1080p HD videos on YouTube. Now that I have a monitor whose native resolution is 1920x1080 (16:9) I get no lags and I can play videos up to 4K quite smoothly. Obviously, the higher the resolution the less lags I suppose :outwithit:

If you have a 1080p screen, then 1080p is the maximum quality you can achieve. Anything higher and it will only get downscaled to 1080p providing no additional quality. You need an actual 4K screen to get any quality increase from the video (not to mention the source content needs to be shot in 4K).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DayvinDazone said:

I don't really agree with that.... When I rip a video that exceeds the 1080p quality from YouTube I can only view it in 1080 but I can tell it looks a hell lotta sharper than if it was just a 1080p video. The image quality is better because the resolution of the original video is larger even if it's scaled to 1080p to fit the screen resolution :outwithit:

Yes, this is known as supersampling. You get less compression artifacts since the there is much more data. But it's incredibly inefficient. A good down-sampling filter and high bit-rate compression  at 1080p would do a better job than your browser's or media player's real-time filter.

2 hours ago, DayvinDazone said:

I think @floopy22 means the resolution of your screen. I used to have a 1280x1024 (4:3) monitor back in the day and I'd get huge lags when trying to play 1080p HD videos on YouTube. Now that I have a monitor whose native resolution is 1920x1080 (16:9) I get no lags and I can play videos up to 4K quite smoothly. Obviously, the higher the resolution the less lags I suppose :outwithit:

Tech genius @DayvinDazone strikes again!

tenor.gif

"The quality is truly stunning,” shared Stephen Bryan, global head of label relations at YouTube (Billboard)

WTF Stephen, the quality is better that those shitty compressed 480p videos, but far from a "stunning" remaster. :gloria:

6 hours ago, floopy22 said:

Yes, this is known as supersampling. You get less compression artifacts since the there is much more data. But it's incredibly inefficient. A good down-sampling filter and high bit-rate compression  at 1080p would do a better job than your browser's or media player's real-time filter.

I don't disagree but since YouTube is bitrate-starving 1080p videos, the 4K videos on 1080p monitors are at least decent. :crying1:

I saw some of Janet videos and actually the quality is much better, is an improvement, but I saw lady gaga’s póker face and bad romance and i could notice there’s no true HD on it, is just upscaled fixed versions but it’s an improvement from their previous versions so it’s okey.

as for Britney, fans can help a lot more than the record label tbh. Britney 1080p upscales made by fans are so much better than many of those YouTube remastered videos. And the Joseph Kahn 720p HD are good. Britney videos are iconic af the world needs her entire channel in HD.

Archived