Britney album is way too underrated.

OopsOverprotected

21 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

you're right and I applaud you for a great explanation but I don't think something like that can be used to excuse weird musical choices.. I mean, we're seeing it these days too, pure pop is struggling to find a place in the current music landscape so artists are resorting to what's in - trap / hip-hop / some weird, trashy EDM (which is still a thing after all these years for whatever reason).. the market favouring one sound over another doesn't excuse incohesiveness.. in my opinion at least, an album is an album for a reason and it should be rated and reviewed as such - keeping its concept / cohesiveness as one of the main integral parts of the rating system.. :mhm:

but what was the weird musical choice of ‘britney’? It was basically just an upgraded version of bomt/oops with some hip-hop flares. yes, for e.g,, oops was far more cohesive but britney was slightly more diverse in the sense that it was more experimental. it’s not like ‘britney’ was that incohesive or even came remotely close to being a bad pop album. overall, it served its purpose and it was a coming-of-age album in the midst of a musical transition for her, as well as in the industry. her team even axed some of the ‘mature’ sounding material in hopes of releasing it for a future release but by the time her next studio album was in the process (2003 with itz), that 2001-2002 pop sound had already become outdated.

as far as today’s musical landscape, pure pop has been dead for four to five years now so there’s no correlation. pop music in 2001-2002 was well and alive, but simply just transitioning over to a more hip-hop and urban sound. that’s also a main reason why ITZ sounded more urban/hip-hop than anything she released before. in a way, she was pursuing many of the popular trends at the time.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WhatYouNeed said:

the era was indeed her last great one though

I disagree.  Even though the Timberlake brake-up unquestionably decayed her popularity and the Madonna kiss made her 'even more hated', I would say the fall 2003 In The Zone promotion was her last great era. 

While there were great things in the Onyx Tour, she was a full on tabloid personality masquerading as a pop star at the start of 2004 (and lasting till 2008) .

Cuz it aged like milk actually. It has a few great tracks that sound so good, like slave or boys cuz they have that urban vibe, but the rest is so max martin... and we all know how his songs age... like bombastic love, overprotected, cinderella or some more. Actually Overprotected remix hasn't aged like the album version.

It was an amazing an iconic era, we actually wad primeney, but the music style wasn't timeless. :xfactorlook: 

Archived