Britney album is way too underrated.

OopsOverprotected

Britney era was basically PRIMENEY. 

Her sound was the most Britney-typical. It had that Janet Jackson Pop Vibe mixture.

It brought us iconic SLAVE song/MV/VMA performance.

It brought us iconic NAGNYAW song where Brit showed us another vocal range of hers. 

Overprotected might be the best pop song in the 2000s. 

Lonely LIVE choreo was amazing. What's it like to be me was basically a Michael Jackson song. And a feat with Justin Timbelake (talking about iconic).

BEFORE THE GOODBYE: AMAZING POP BALLAD.

The album as a whole is a perfect pop album. 

My holy trinity is def: BRITNEY; ITZ; BLACKOUT.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oops britney and itz are her real holy trinity, but I agree that the ‘Britney’ album is one of her greatest pieces of work. Every song on that album could have been a single at one point (except boys album version which is why they remix’ed it) with a killer visual and it would have done well. we stan. :byetina:

48 minutes ago, WhatYouNeed said:

it aged like milk minus a few songs, maybe it was good back in the day :tiffdrink:

the era was indeed her last great one though

every pop album from the early 2000s aged like milk and it’s quite common for albums to age since, well, the sound of pop music changes every 2-3 years. doesn’t make it any less good. poor user WhatYouKnee.  :byetina: 

"Britney" was this weird transitional phase between "Oops" and "ITZ" which was reflected in in how incohesive the album was.. it's a weird mish-mash of Max Martin goodness and sexier songs.. it's almost like an oxymoron: "I'm trying to break free from the image that literally constitutes half of this album".. it doesn't make sense.. "Oops" is a better "Britney" in the same way "In the Zone" is a better "Britney", it's just awkward.. seperately most of the songs are good, I mean, "Overprotected", "I'm Not a Girl", "Bombastic Love", "When I Found You" (probably in my Top 5 Britney songs), etc. etc. are all legendary tracks but as an album it kinda falls flat.. :sipney:

1 hour ago, I Always Sing Live said:

"Britney" was this weird transitional phase between "Oops" and "ITZ" which was reflected in in how incohesive the album was.. it's a weird mish-mash of Max Martin goodness and sexier songs.. it's almost like an oxymoron: "I'm trying to break free from the image that literally constitutes half of this album".. it doesn't make sense.. "Oops" is a better "Britney" in the same way "In the Zone" is a better "Britney", it's just awkward.. seperately most of the songs are good, I mean, "Overprotected", "I'm Not a Girl", "Bombastic Love", "When I Found You" (probably in my Top 5 Britney songs), etc. etc. are all legendary tracks but as an album it kinda falls flat.. :sipney:

again. that was a transitional time for not only britney, but for the sound of pop music. aside from the 9/11 attacks, late 2001 was a very risky time for any pop artist to release an album as the atmosphere of bubblegum pop was slowly fading and making a transition towards hip-pop, which is why we, the industry, saw a huge demand/emergence for urban pop from 2002-2004. the problem was, britney recorded most of the tracks late 2000 to early/mid-2001 and by the time the album was set for release, the landscape of music had made a shift in such a short amount of time, hence why her record label chose to remix the future single releases and stuck with the more darkchild-theme since his sound was more hip-hop and clean-cut pop.

10 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Disagree. To me, the Britney album was the Britney Jean of her pre-breakdown albums: overproduced, dated sounding, trying to be personal but wasn’t, etc. Slave and occasionally Boys are pretty much the only songs I still listen to from it.

Don’t you ever compare the masterpiece that is self-titled to that unsung, abomination of an album that forever dented her discography. :ban:

14 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

you mean to tell me bomt, the album, is better than britney?  ok jan. tumblr_plwep0A7va1qk4ufy_75sq.png

Yes BOMT is far better, with more production and Britney's real voice. 

Anyone please tell me if there is a ban button on here exhale like FB. I have already put DignifiedShit on the ignore list but she can stil see me and reply to my posts :eheeek:

41 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

again. that was a transitional time for not only britney, but for the sound of pop music. aside from the 9/11 attacks, late 2001 was a very risky time for any pop artist to release an album as the atmosphere of bubblegum pop was slowly fading and making a transition towards hip-pop, which is why we, the industry, saw a huge demand/emergence for urban pop from 2002-2004. the problem was, britney recorded most of the tracks late 2000 to early/mid-2001 and by the time the album was set for release, the landscape of music had made a shift, hence why her record label chose to remix the future single releases and stuck with the more darkchild-theme since his sound was more hip-hop and clean-cut pop.

you're right and I applaud you for a great explanation but I don't think something like that can be used to excuse weird musical choices.. I mean, we're seeing it these days too, pure pop is struggling to find a place in the current music landscape so artists are resorting to what's in - trap / hip-hop / some weird, trashy EDM (which is still a thing after all these years for whatever reason).. the market favouring one sound over another doesn't excuse incohesiveness.. in my opinion at least, an album is an album for a reason and it should be rated and reviewed as such - keeping its concept / cohesiveness as one of the main integral parts of the rating system.. :mhm:

I agree the album is so underrated. I've always been a big fan of the album, it's in my top 3 Britney albums with Blackout and Glory. It has so many good songs on it, and Overprotected is one of my all time fave Britney songs. Before the Goodbye is one of her best bonus tracks.

On 1/25/2019 at 9:58 AM, Dany said:

Yes BOMT is far better, with more production and Britney's real voice. 

Anyone please tell me if there is a ban button on here exhale like FB. I have already put DignifiedShit on the ignore list but she can stil see me and reply to my posts :eheeek:

great vocals? yes. 100%

“more production”? :yelping: LMFAO

and girl it’s just exhale....it ain’t that serious ma, but thank you for the taking the time out your day to place me on ignore. at least I won’t have you downvoting my trolling for no reason anymore. :clap:unfortunately, my popular insights will no longer be of reach but we wish you well.:) 

I feel like the performances, DWAD and the era as a whole really elevated the music beyond what is was. That's not to say the album isn't great, though. Although she didn't write on them, Overprotected and Not a Girl are two of her most meaningful and personal singles, ILRNR one of her better covers, and Slave is timeless. I don't think the peaks of the album were as high as the two previous, but it's overall more cohesive and there's less filler than Baby or Oops. Plus, it was really what could've been the start of her playing a larger hand in the songwriting and creative process. I'd say if there's a "holy trinity" like most fans claim, then Britney should be considered as part of it ahead of Glory.

Archived