I think we already Deja'd this Vu. Weird theory just popped into my head regarding her discography

BritneysBitch82

To the army, Britney Spears' career is commonly divided into 2 parts : pre-breakdown (BOMT, OIDIA, BRITNEY, ITZ & BLACKOUT) and post-breakdown (CIRCUS, FF, BJ & Glory). 

Thinking about her comeback, it occurred to me that the label wanted to take Britney's career back to the basics, back to what made her a pop star.
To that end we got Circus, with Max Martin producing glossy, catchy pop tunes just as he had on her debut. The video for the lead single even featured Britney yet again in some form of sexualized uniform albeit age appropriate. Coincidentally (?), Circus was her first album since BOMT to achieve a simultaneous #1 on the singles and albums chart. It seems the label succeeded at replicating - through slight imitation - some of the success of BOMT.
But what if they didn't stop there? What if everything post-breakdown was a subtle remake of everything pre-breakdown?
Ive already mentioned the BOMT/Circus connection (btw doesn't her pose look similar on both album covers?) so let's move on to FF, the sophomore album in the post breakdown era and connect it to the sophomore album in the prebreakdown era, which is OIDIA.

OIDIA/FF : Max once again had his hands all over both releases and the results were records that are generally considered more polished and more consistent than their predecessors (BOMT /Circus). the video for OIDIA depicts her as an alien on mars while HIAM opens with her falling from the outer space, also both Lucky and IWG portray her as an unhappy starlet. And both Lucky and HIAM gives us glimpses of Britney struggling with her identity in the form of a doppelganger/alter ego.

BRITNEY/BRITNEY JEAN : both used her name in the title and both represent milestones for her. BRITNEY was her first album released as a 20yr old and BRITNEY JEAN was her first as a 30yr old. Both were criticized for stale attempts at jumping onto current trends (BRITNEY - electronica, BRITNEY JEAN - EDM) whereas her other albums were considered more trendsetting. Part of the formers promo involved a live televised concert in Vegas while the latter launched her residency in Vegas. And finally the lead singles were both produced by black men who also happen to be part of bands who had her sing about being a slave and working hard. 

ORIGINAL DOLL/PRETTY WORLD: both albums refer to eras that were scrapped before they even began and became urban legends among the fanbase. Both had only one song officially released -  Mona Lisa and Pretty Girls. Its likely that some of the tracks recorded during both  these mysterious times got reworked for the next official album. 

ITZ/GLORY : fans are divided over Glorys status within her discography, so this might seem like heresy to compare it to the masterpiece that is ITZ but you can't deny that both showcase Britney at her most experimental as she plays around with different styles and influences. She also works the "*** Kitten" persona in videos and photoshoots harder than any other era. These eras are also the only ones whose lead singles have featured artists.  Who I might add both tried, with varying degrees of success, to kiss her on the VMA stage.

BLACKOUT/B10 : finally we have Blackout. Dark, edgy, cool, urban... A little like the description of the new residency wouldn't you say? Could B10 be the Blackout 2.0 we've yearning for? Evidently it would be another knockoff of the original, but i guess we will have to wait and see...

Oh and yeah, im aware that im jumping to conclusions like its an Olympic sport...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

Lol im reaching i know

This is the good kind of reaching though. As a fellow reacher myself, keep it up boo! 

To speak to your point about looking at Britney’s career as pre-breakdown versus post-breakdown , the only era that’s a bit iffy for me is BO. If we are referring to her literal breakdown, the 5150 hospitalizations of early 2008, then I can see why BO would be placed in the “pre-breakdown” category. But I tend to think of her “breakdown” as being that whole period from her divorce to her hospitalization, end of 2006 to 2008. To me, ITZ was the last album that fits cleanly into her pre-breakdown era. 

I guess in some ways, BO could almost be looked at as the “lost Britney Spears album.”  Fans and a small part of the GP know about it, but otherwise it’s almost the forgotten Britney album. What do you think?

41 minutes ago, Steel Magnolia said:

There probably is a formula that fans aren't aware of that all record companies use with pop stars.

It would be interesting to compare the above theory with the careers of people like Justin Bieber and the Spice Girls to see if there were any similarities. :mhmsureny:

Britney set the mold tbh, for how to be a pop star in the new millenium 

1 hour ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

BRITNEY/BRITNEY JEAN : And finally the lead singles were both produced by black men who also happen to be part of bands.

Pretty interesting and i thought exactly the same about Circus.

Only thing I guess is wrong: Work ***** was the lead single of BJ and it was produced by a dutch DJ (Otto Knows). We can't concider Scream and Shout as the leadsingle of BJ. So the Ias4U comparison doesnt work.

But really nice text :)

5 minutes ago, Dreamer26 said:

We need something completely different. I feel l like another Blackout won't work for charts/gp. But yeah I wanna see dark Brit again. All I know that I need up tempo dance songs. I think Its time for Brit's confessions on dance floor.

Gritty Brit. :lessons:

1 hour ago, Breathe on me u toxicbitch said:

Pretty interesting and i thought exactly the same about Circus.

Only thing I guess is wrong: Work ***** was the lead single of BJ and it was produced by a dutch DJ (Otto Knows). We can't concider Scream and Shout as the leadsingle of BJ. So the Ias4U comparison doesnt work.

But really nice text :)

Will I am was a co producer on work *****.

6 minutes ago, Thecodeman25 said:

i think most  everyone would agree that it is DURING breakdown. released at the pinnacle.

I can agree to that but it was definitely after. She shaved her head in february 2007 the album came at the end of the year. She produced it during it but it was released after, the music videos came after. etc, so blackout is post breakdown. The M+M tour also happened before the album where we already considered she was not performing like before.

1 minute ago, Nando. said:

I can agree to that but it was definitely after. She shaved her head in february 2007 the album came at the end of the year. She produced it during it but it was released after, the music videos came after. etc, so blackout is post breakdown.

Yes, the breakdown started in 2006, however it isn’t 100% related to the head shaving. It began a year before.

Archived