Fall Out Boy: “Britney Spears was all of us”

kasavas

About their new song:

We already knew that they quoted Britney in the song. If you didn't:

Spoiler

Just as the pre-chorus begins, lead singer Patrick Stump quotes one of Britney Spears’ best-known hits, “Oops!... I Did It Again,” using the title of the song to grab the listener and keep them interested before the chorus blows the roof off.

It might sound strange for a rock band like Fall Out Boy to use lines first made famous by a pop queen like Spears, but hinting to throwback hits has worked for them before. Their last top 10 hit “Centuries” borrows the “duh duh duh duh” hook from Suzanne Vega’s memorable smash “Tom’s Diner,” and it’s arguable that using that recognizable bit helped rocket the tune into the highest tier on the Hot 100 a few years back.

But now they talked about it: 

“It’s how I felt growing up. I just felt like I didn’t fit in almost anywhere, y’know? But once you are okay with that, you’re not trying to bend yourself to something. Then I found punk rock. I found this community of like-minded people who also felt like that.” It’s never that simple though; the story doesn’t end there. The conflict rages.

“We all go through these moments where you feel great, or you feel vulnerable, and it’s all wrapped up into one. The idea is that we’re all sides of that. ‘I’m just here to become the best yet; I’m just here for the psych assessment’, those lines conflict with each other. We all go through that. We could have gone down the Britney Spears rabbit hole (the track echoes her ‘Oops, I Did It Again’) because she was a great mirror to hold up. Britney Spears was all of us. She was America’s sweetheart who you watched go through a rough time, and we all go through rough times. I think hers was just done out in the open which is tough. I’ve felt like that before, and I think that the song epitomises that.

:forkit:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, kasavas said:

Reveal hidden contents

Just as the pre-chorus begins, lead singer Patrick Stump quotes one of Britney Spears’ best-known hits, “Oops!... I Did It Again,” using the title of the song to grab the listener and keep them interested before the chorus blows the roof off.

It might sound strange for a rock band like Fall Out Boy to use lines first made famous by a pop queen like Spears, but hinting to throwback hits has worked for them before. Their last top 10 hit “Centuries” borrows the “duh duh duh duh” hook from Suzanne Vega’s memorable smash “Tom’s Diner,” and it’s arguable that using that recognizable bit helped rocket the tune into the highest tier on the Hot 100 a few years back.

How dare they neglect to mention that Britney also covered Tom's Diner? :tiffsmoke: 

5 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

How dare they neglect to mention that Britney also covered Tom's Diner? :tiffsmoke: 

Like WTF? I still remember lots of their fans were complaining about Brit copied FOB but Brit was only covering the original version that FOB sampled lol

Archived