Britney Spears is a POP ICON but why aren't they?

Million Billion

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Justin could be considered an icon a few years down the road, but I don't think he's had enough hits as a solo artist or iconic moments. I don't see any young artists saying they have been inspired by JT. I think Justin has borrowed more from Michael Jackson and maybe Usher while throwing in more of a pop sound rather than doing anything original. I don't think he deserved the Vanguard award anyway, at least not as a solo artist - the stuff he did with NSYNC was more iconic than anything he's done on his own.

I've seen Christina being called an icon once in a while, but I think she needed a successful era in this decade to really be considered an icon. Her last solo hit was Keeps Gettin Better in 2008, which didn't have much of an impact anyway.

35 minutes ago, Onyx Guest said:

I think Justin could be considered an icon a few years down the road, but I don't think he's had enough hits as a solo artist or iconic moments. I don't see any young artists saying they have been inspired by JT. I think Justin has borrowed more from Michael Jackson and maybe Usher while throwing in more of a pop sound rather than doing anything original. I don't think he deserved the Vanguard award anyway, at least not as a solo artist - the stuff he did with NSYNC was more iconic than anything he's done on his own.

I've seen Christina being called an icon once in a while, but I think she needed a successful era in this decade to really be considered an icon. Her last solo hit was Keeps Gettin Better in 2008, which didn't have much of an impact anyway.

Well, we have Bieber and his main inspirations were Usher and JT. Bruno Mars and The Weeknd follow after Michael though, as did JT and Usher. It's a generational thing. Unfortunately, with Bieber his aesthetic kind of kills the need for another of his kind. It's the reason why Austin Mahone never happened but why the singer/songwriter type Shawn Mendes did.

JT is definitely a current icon though. He's a household name, has branched out to Hollywood and has almost a solid 10 global songs as a solo artist.

Cry Me a River

Rock Your Body

SexyBack

My Love

What Goes Around

Suit & Tie

Mirrors

Can't Stop the Feeling

Guest ukfan
1 hour ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Well, we have Bieber and his main inspirations were Usher and JT. Bruno Mars and The Weeknd follow after Michael though, as did JT and Usher. It's a generational thing. Unfortunately, with Bieber his aesthetic kind of kills the need for another of his kind. It's the reason why Austin Mahone never happened but why the singer/songwriter type Shawn Mendes did.

JT is definitely a current icon though. He's a household name, has branched out to Hollywood and has almost a solid 10 global songs as a solo artist.

Cry Me a River

Rock Your Body

SexyBack

My Love

What Goes Around

Suit & Tie

Mirrors

Can't Stop the Feeling

Britney is still MORE of a household name..  she's done more,  made more of an impact and is generally more interesting.. 

Bieber is completely overrated and people are already getting tired of him.  he is not an icon. but he does have a big portion of fan base,  though I still think Britney has a bigger fanbase worldwide.. 

6 minutes ago, ukfan said:

Britney is still MORE of a household name..  she's done more,  made more of an impact and is generally more interesting.. 

Bieber is completely overrated and people are already getting tired of him.  he is not an icon. but he does have a big portion of fan base,  though I still think Britney has a bigger fanbase worldwide.. 

Did I say she wasn't? I'm not discussing Britney here, I'm discussing JT.

To discredit him is delusional because he's a global star as well.

And LOL. Bieber is currently smashing in pop, urban and latin markets. People are not tired of him.

Guest ukfan
31 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Did I say she wasn't? I'm not discussing Britney here, I'm discussing JT.

To discredit him is delusional because he's a global star as well.

And LOL. Bieber is currently smashing in pop, urban and latin markets. People are not tired of him.

No you wasn't. I didn't imply you was.

All I'm saying is that some people are under the impression that Britney is 'hated ' but compared to Justin beiber she is absolutely adored..  beiber has his fair share of haters..  I wouldn't consider him an icon..  more of a 'teen heartthrob'.

Britney is a icon. no questions asked.  

Justin is completely respected just as much.  and people root for both equally.   honestly though I don't think he's as interesting or done as much.. he's cool and respected but even media sites have made articles saying how he 'constantly' has to bring up Britney..  

I genuinely feel that most people know Britney had the career first..  the biopic definitely gives that impression..  

Britneys got the discography 

Justin got the movies,  collabs,  famous ex girlfriends,  street cred 

Beiber has,  social media,  many teenage fans and very mediocre talent. 

Sorry for the rant 

Because Britney is iconic by both.  her musical catalog, iconic performances and videography are very familiar on popular culture and not forgotten although many people dont recognize that likes britney openly since she artistically always has been seen like a guilty pleasure and  she is iconic by her persona,  britneys persona  is iconic by herself and more impactful on popular culture than ********* never will ever be.

Archived