Billie Eilish wants people to stop categorizing her music as pop because she's white

• Leader

billie-pop.jpg.e733dcc0ff8c81cff982761c0aa99629.jpg

In the new issue of GQ, Billie Eilish says she believes she's considered a pop star because she's white.

“I hate when people say, ‘Oh, you look like “blank”. You sound like “blank”.’ It was such a cool thing Tyler said. I agree with him about that term. Don’t judge an artist off the way someone looks or the way someone dresses. Wasn’t Lizzo in the Best R&B category that night? I mean, she’s more pop than I am," she says.

“Look, if I wasn’t white I would probably be in ‘rap’. Why? They just judge from what you look like and what they know. I think that is weird. The world wants to put you into a box; I’ve had it my whole career. Just because I am a white teenage female I am pop. Where am I pop? What part of my music sounds like pop?"

You may recall, her debut album won Pop Vocal Album at this year's Grammys. "Bad Guy" was nominated for Pop Solo Performance.

Though I still consider her music pop, I think she makes a valid point. 

Thoughts, Exhale?

Related:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, OnlyFacts said:

But her music is pop. She doesn’t have a leg to stand on here, sorry. NOW, on the OTHER hand, let’s discuss how Rihanna’s earlier album were always nominated for R&B awards at the Grammys...yet they were 100% pop (her only r&b album is anti). 

I love Billie, but I feel like the best new artist curse is going to come for her. I hope not though 

Exactly! 
btw, Good girl gone bad was also Rn’B

• Love 1

Drake talked about this too:

"I am referred to as a black artist, like last night at (the Grammy's), I'm a black artist... I'm apparently a rapper, even though 'Hotline Bling' is not a rap song. The only category they can manage to fit me in is in a rap category, maybe because I've rapped in the past or because I'm black. I cant figure out why. I won two awards, but I don't even want them because it just feels weird for some reason."

:idkney: 

Idk, I'd say Billie makes pop music. I mean, it's alternative pop / dream pop / bedroom pop / whatever pop, but at it's core it's still pop, isn't it?! :smokney2:

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2

So, I'm not a huge Billie fan and maybe have never even listened to one of her songs all the way through (shocking, I know) but I really think she meant to put more emphasis on how "pop" is white and "R&B" is black. Which is true and racist af. Like you guys have been saying Rihanna has been pop af for years and was always classified as "R&B" because of her skin color. I mean, "Umbrella" was written for Britney and would be considered pure pop if it weren't for the fact Rihanna was on it instead. And if Rihanna had performed "Hold It Against Me" it would all of the sudden be and "R&B" song despite being essentially the same song.

I'm going to give Billie the benefit of the doubt and say she was just throwing out and example but doesn't truly think she's a rapper. Or is she? IDK. Never listened.

• Love 1
  • Like 5
21 minutes ago, britney_rocks said:

When I couldn’t dislike this generation anymore. Everything is offensive, cancel everything, you’re hurting my feelings, the white guilt. 

Lady Gaga Eye Roll GIF by Jimmy Kimmel Live

I originally laughed at this comment but I changed it to a like.  I only thought it was funny because it’s so true in some cases.

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block