Is pop music really dead?

The year is 2008. You turn the TV on and it's playing the video of Katy Perry's 'I Kissed a Girl' with bunch of girls including Ke$ha having fun in a slumber party. It's the same year where Womanizer, Circus and Gaga's Just Dance are getting released.

Now, of course, we don't have the same TV channels showing the hottest and newest music videos - the internet is all over the place and that's a point to consider. But why the nowaday's artists don't get us excited anymore? Was it because we were younger? Or is it pop music really dead or just asleep?

9ab83f26902fc7ea39ac6dad8d7e891c.jpg

Edited by Fita
  • Love 5
  • Super Mods

I remember 2008 so well.

It was my fave year of my teen years and one of the last exciting years of pop music.

In my opinion pop music has been dead since at least the mid to late 2010s.

Honestly the last time pop music was fun and exciting to me was in 2016 and that was also the year Britney released Glory.

Idk if that's a coincidence but that's how I feel.

• Love 5
  • Like 1

Not just pop, the whole music industry has changed.
People don't see music as a source of entertainment like they used to do.
The celebrity business model that used to be dominating "pop star" category had shift from selling music . :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:
However, the income for music industry are actually growing, just not star-focused like it used to be.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

The generation has changed (for the worse), today people prefer to sell and stay viral for a few days. It's hard to find someone who makes a mark.
For example, Swift, she churns out 100 albums, 700 songs, is incredibly successful, but no song is memorable, if you stop someone on the street and ask them to sing one of her songs, they have a hard time remembering it.

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
54 minutes ago, BPI said:

The generation has changed (for the worse), today people prefer to sell and stay viral for a few days. It's hard to find someone who makes a mark.
For example, Swift, she churns out 100 albums, 700 songs, is incredibly successful, but no song is memorable, if you stop someone on the street and ask them to sing one of her songs, they have a hard time remembering it.

And the saddest thing is: Max Martin is still involved with the creation of Swift's songs... :duh_mind_thinking_smart_meme:

The days when we were waiting for an album release and buying the physical media are past us and that took a lot of the charm away... :fruit_fall_trip_ouch_dead:

Last artist I did this was Stephen Sanchez and of course Britney with her memoir. Nice feeling. :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

Edited by Propagandalf
  • Love 3

Taylor Swift is doing well, even if I find her rather bland.

Beyonce has a pop country album which some people seem to be enjoying. To me however nearly everything Beyonce does sounds and looks like a rehash of something that's already been done. Her catchiest songs take samples from songs done decades ago, by more genuinely innovative artists. Same with many top artists of the last few years. The only one I can find half interesting is Lana but again - she's a derivative artist. 

There was a time in the 80s when you counted down the days to new top 40 with excitement because virtually every week there would be something groundbreaking or an instant classic. Michael Jackson and then Madonna were constant game changers who were reinventing the entire landscape of pop music. I feel we may never see those days again - just lesser copycats of originals. But maybe we are just showing our age, getting old n grumpy...

• Love 2
5 hours ago, BPI said:

Her music had been lackluster since Reputation tbh 

• Love 1

Pop music does feel bleak and lacks identity these days but that's not to say other genres aren't thriving. The industry is going to continue to evolve. IMO, the golden years of pop music were from the mid 90s to the early 2000s. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I'm 15 and I honestly prefer listening to stuff from the late 2000s and mid 2010s, but I don't think pop might neccesarily be dying. The late 2010s gave us a lot of amazing albums!

- Emotion

- Witness

- Glory

- Dua self-titled

- Future Nostalgia

- Chromatica

-ANTI

- Dangerous Woman

- thank u next

- Lemonade

- Melodrama

- List probably goes on and on

2021 onwards didn't really give us much yet, but we did get stuff like Renaissance, This Is Me... Now, Eternal Sunshine (which in my opinion, may be AOTY), Tyla, Cowboy Carter and Something We Can Give Each Other. Pop is a genre that always changes and I believe that it is exactly what is doing right now, finding its place. With stuff like TikTok potentially getting banned, many comebacks being rumoured (Katy teased KP6, Rihanna teased R9, Meghan confirmed Timeless, Dua confirmed Radical Optimism...) and new artists with actual star quality such as Tyla and Tate McRae keep debuting, we could see a revival on the genre.

Before we got the wave of masterpieces in the late 2000s and early 2010s such as Blackout through Femme Fatale, Katy's OOTB through PRISM, Kesha's Animal through Warrior, Lady Gaga's The Fame through ARTPOP, Xtina's Bionic, Rihanna's GGGB through Unapologetic... I could go on. But before we got everything, we had "seat-warmer" popstars and albums that kept us pop fans excited before the magic happened. This was the age of Gwen Stefani's LAMB, Fergie's The Dutchess and Nelly Furtado's Loose - amazing albums that kept us in check before they let everything out. I think if we wait a few years, pop will truly flourish again! :wink_britney_everytime_white:

• Love 1
On 4/9/2024 at 9:48 PM, nux1989 said:

Not just pop, the whole music industry has changed.
People don't see music as a source of entertainment like they used to do.
The celebrity business model that used to be dominating "pop star" category had shift from selling music . :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:
However, the income for music industry are actually growing, just not star-focused like it used to be.

Exactly. This is not a genre thing. Genres come and go and are endlessly reconstructed and decosntructed. Music and entertainment have and are changing. In my opinion, that is great. Thr industry is rotten to the core. Let it all burn for as long as needed.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block