Nonna, Ariana Grande's grandmother makes history as the senior-most artist to ever hit the Billboard Hot 100

Ariana Grande’s grandmother – Nonna, formally Marjorie Grande – makes history on the Billboard Hot 100 (dated March 23), as “Ordinary Things” debuts at No. 55.

With the arrival of the song (from Grande’s album Eternal Sunshine, which launches at No. 1 on the Billboard 200), Nonna, 98, becomes the senior-most artist ever to have appeared on the Hot 100, dating to the chart’s Aug. 4, 1958, start.

Nonna, billed as a featured artist on “Ordinary Things,” claims the record from the late Fred Stobaugh, who was 96 when “Oh Sweet Lorraine,” billed as by Green Shoe Studio featuring Jacob Colgan (the song’s vocalist) and Stobaugh (its writer), spent a week on the Hot 100 dated Sept. 14, 2013, at No. 42.

Late legend Tony Bennett now ranks third among acts with the most life experience on the Hot 100. Bennett was 85 when “Body and Soul,” with Amy Winehouse, logged a week on the list, at No. 87, dated Oct. 1, 2011. Bennett passed the late George Burns, who was 84 when, aptly per the subject matter, “I Wish I Was Eighteen Again” wrapped its chart run the week of March 22, 1980.

Ariana-Grande-Brother-Frankie-Grandmothe

“Ordinary Things” closes with a clip of Nonna imparting advice, as she reflects on her late husband, Frank. “Never go to bed without kissin’ goodnight,” Nonna – also credited as a co-writer of the song – shares. “That’s the worst thing to do; don’t ever, ever do that. And if you don’t feel comfortable doing it, you’re in the wrong place – get out.”

“I always record my Nonna, because you never know what she’s going to say,” Grande told Apple Music 1’s Zane Lowe March 7. “I had this 30-minute voice note of her and her friend Shirley talking.”

Following the soundbite in the song, Grande laughs, closing the track, and Eternal Sunshine. She explained to Lowe of its inclusion, “I think it’s a little bit of, ‘Wow, our loved ones, our friends and our family have the ability to instantly just sort of soothe and calm and simplify things that are so complicated and heavy at times.’”

Grande’s grandmother has also been heard, although not credited with an artist billing, on “Daydreamin’,” from Grande’s 2013 debut album Yours Truly, and “Bloodline,” from 2019’s Thank U, Next. The latter song hit No. 22 on the Hot 100.

6.jpg

WWW.BILLBOARD.COM

Nonna, 98, becomes the senior-most artist ever to have appeared on the Hot 100.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block