Why wasn't any of the latest albums of Madonna successful?

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, MikeHunt said:

If ageism is the reason Madonna’s last two albums haven’t sold well, what’s the reason Christina Aguilera’s last four albums haven’t been as successful? 
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I think its because she takes too long to release new music that by the time it gets released,

it sounds dated.

Bionic looks and sounds like it could've been made by Lady Gaga even though I think Christina said she came up with the concept before Gaga became famous.

I also think that maybe her character has to do with it as well since l've heard lots of celebs and fans talk about how much of a diva she is or how rude she was to them.

She seems to act pretentious especially when it comes to discussing her music.

That always turned me off tbh.

One of the biggest things about Britney that was always appealing to me was her humility.

She was always humble and never thought she was better than other artists.

I think that's why Britney surpassed her as well as having much better quality of music even though

Christina has the stronger voice.

• Love 2
  • Like 4

rebel heart did fine. it was #2 and living for love was a successful single. sales are not related to the quality of the music. ever. rebel heart received critical acclaim. it was in many end of year lists.

rebel heart also leaked months early, every song recorded in that era was leaked after Madonna was somehow hacked. she did the smart thing and released it right away, but that left little promo for it.

Edited by Kevney
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

I love Confessions. That was a timeless album. So, it's hard to rise over that pinnacle. 

I think MDNA is awesome! It's just wasn't "as good" as Confessions. 

Rebel Heart was different, but again, it was better than Confessions. 

Madame X, although experimental, felt lacklustre and forgettable in the long run. I only really loved Medellin, and that was a shocking grower! It was god-awful for the first few listens, lol. 

I just saw her Celebrations tour, lol. She didn't really perform Celebrations, but I loved Die Another Day, Ray of Light, and Open Your Heart. 

Here's to her next banger! 

i really dont like mdna.

hard candy was good but obvl far down from confessions.

rebel heart was okish.

madame x was and is great.

was happish about her rmx compilation

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Kevney said:

rebel heart did fine. it was #2 and living for love was a successful single. sales are not related to the quality of the music. ever. rebel heart received critical acclaim. it was in many end of year lists.

rebel heart also leaked months early, every song recorded in that era was leaked after Madonna was somehow hacked. she did the smart thing and released it right away, but that left little promo for it.

the original version of the rebel heart song was sooo much better

• Like 1
5 hours ago, princessmimi said:

I think its because she takes too long to release new music that by the time it gets released,

it sounds dated.

Bionic looks and sounds like it could've been made by Lady Gaga even though I think Christina said she came up with the concept before Gaga became famous.

I also think that maybe her character has to do with it as well since l've heard lots of celebs and fans talk about how much of a diva she is or how rude she was to them.

One of the biggest things about Britney that was always appealing to me was her humility.

I think that's why Britney surpassed her as well as having much better quality of music even though

bionic seemed like such a try hard gaga ripoff.

even in 2011, with femme fatale, britney did good to do the opposit even with the album photos - all white and bright. avoiding all darkness, black and latex.

seemed out of touch a lil bit but was the only way that was possible back then.

and obvl xtinas character played a huge part.

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
5 minutes ago, trip to my touch said:

bionic seemed like such a try hard gaga ripoff.

even in 2011, with femme fatale, britney did good to do the opposit even with the album photos - all white and bright. avoiding all darkness, black and latex.

seemed out of touch a lil bit but was the only way that was possible back then.

and obvl xtinas character played a huge part.

Agree.

I think that Britney made music with electropop style sound better than Christina.

I can listen to Femme Fatale fully on repeat, can't say the same for Bionic.

Yeah Christina obviously let all the success and praise she got in her early career get to her head.

She wasn't humble and you can see that especially in the Stripped era when all she did was bash Britney then toured with Justin aka Britney's slimeball ex.

Now she's nice and humble cause her career hasn't been successful in a very long time.

She should've been like that at her peak :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Sometimes things just stop working. It can be combination of factors. But i think the key to a good music is actually being relatable and using ur personal journey to create smth inapiring. Her music become generic and even making out with a girl on tour isn't helping. Too much of substances can be a thing too i think. No shade and no ageism just my opinion.

• Love 1

Theres no doubt, the music industry (all industry really) caters to youth.. but Madonnas downfall is, more than anything else, due to her resistance to adapt with her age. 

It’s not s3xist or ageist to appreciate that what’s s3xy on a twenty-something is appalling on a senior citizen. I genuinely feel bad for her because I can’t imagine how hard it must be for her to accept her age.. Her career was partially built around being a provocateur, and it’s tough carry that with you into your sixty’s. 

I believe she still has a lot to offer as an artist, but she needs to transition into this season of her life with more grace and self awareness.  She’s become the Hollywood equivalent of the 35 year old who hangs out with high school kids in the wal-mart parking lot on a Friday night. She’s better than that, which is what makes it so frustrating to watch. 

Edited by Dorian Gray
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

It's parts ageism and.. I just feel that she has become less likeable as time goes on. It kind of correlates to a decline in her music quality too now that I think about it. 

She still got a bop in her and this is all just my opinion and not that of Britney Spears the former singer turned um.. retiree. 

• Like 1

Quality of Music and bad single choices.

MDNA had great Bang Bang, Addicted, Love Spent, Masterpiece, Gu?rl Gone Bad. But only Gurl was released as single without good video.

Rebel Heart for me as 2 album mix, so at the end I love Gosttown, Heartbreak City, Rebel Heart. Two Steps besides Me (unreleased). But half  of the album is bad for me, especially B..I’m Madonna.

Madame X is better album as Rebel Heart, but  her image of Madame X ruined all for me. Mercy On Me or Crazy are masterpieces for me.

Simplicity would be better. Just come and dance without politics.

Edited by Acer
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, princessmimi said:

it sounds dated.

Why hasn't Mandy Moore's latest 83 albums sold well? 

Long story short, unless your Taylor Swift or Adele, you don't "sell well". You might be lucky to have a top 10 album debut (which then falls out of the top 50 in 2 weeks) but nobody sells these days. It's just a title of having a #1 album that seems to count. Then you disappear like Jessica Simpson chart presence. 

• Like 1

Rebel Heart and MDMA were both decent but still quite messy overall with too much filler and a lack of cohesiveness. Mostly poor single choices (although Living For Love was a good lead). Madonna's personality and behaviour becoming increasingly unbearable also doesn't help.

Madame X is one of the worst albums ever made with some of the absolute worst vocals I've ever heard from an artist of her status, so that's why that one flopped. 

Edited by Complication
  • Like 3

Because;

A) Her latest album suck. MDNA has cheesy production and the whole album basically sounds like a Madonna trying too hard to be still young (Gimme all your lovin, Turn up the radio, ...). Madame X had some interesting songs but the production aged poorly.

Rebel Heart is the best post Hard Candy album in my opinion and that one had a mass leak, making the rollout a mess. Given, that was not her fault but it did ruin the whole album experience as people were disappointed in the final mixes (which they would never if the demos did not leak...). 

B) Her image. She ruins her own legacy by trying to stay young. People think of Madonna as a plastic surgery doll that always runs late. Her own diva behavior makes her unlikeable.

She always was a diva but for a great cause. She used to rebel against actual judgements, making art but now she's a diva for the sakes of being a diva. 

• Love 2

Madame X and Rebel Heart deserve much much more love oh my days they deserved to be huge 

MDNA was poorly handled in promo sadly it sold okay though but RB and MX deserved a lot more attention she poured so much effort into both those albums and she got paid dust RH and MX both got number 2 sadly in UK but they deserved to get the top spot and extend her record 

Her personality comes across a bit cold and sadly in Mdna era she resorted to being horrible to Gaga and her team ....on the SAME label interscope ?! Very bad choice to do before your album is launched too was a choice ... Which is a shame as she was fab that era 

Just shady vibes sadly cause negativity ....MDNA did similarly to Femme Fatale globally though 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, trip to my touch said:

i really dont like mdna.

hard candy was good but obvl far down from confessions.

rebel heart was okish.

madame x was and is great.

was happy about her rmx compilation

I completely forgot about Hard Candy lol. Again, if was a nice album, Confessions continued to overshadow everything else for me. 

I may also be biased because I had my first job when this album was released, and I had to drive around a lot to homes as a Healthcare worker. I would play the hell out of this album. Best times!

• Like 1

The deluxe edition of Rebel Heart was great, I think the track listing needed some work….some of the best tracks ended up as bonuses but over all a lot of that album felt like the old Madonna of the 80’s/90’s which is my favorite period of her career. She needed to pick better singles from it too!  Madame X was horrible I didn’t like a single song! 

Unfortunately most of it has to do with her age, the general public begins to turn away from female artists once they reach a certain age in favor of the new young artists….radio also pays older artists dust specifically older females which limits the exposure to their new material. My local stations never played a single one of Madonna’s singles from either album….I even noticed it start happening with Britney too! 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block