Let's talk about Sometimes

Let's. Who else imagines themselves in the video every time they walk on a seaside pier or even just when strolling by a lake or indeed pond? To be honest, it would be a life highlight to reenact her meaningful, forlorn gaze from some mounted binoculars before flouncing away with the same resignation. Love every grain of SAND on the BEACH in that video - it's that sweet and now, yes, evocative.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, filmandstage13 said:

Britney Spears Smiling GIF

I've underestimated Sometimes.  As a follow-up to the greatest pop debut of all-time, it's never going to seem quite as innovative or daring as Baby One More Time.  But it's a solid track in its own right.  I feel like it fits nicely alongside popular Backstreet Boys songs of the time (e.g. As Long as You Love Me and Quit Playing Games with My Heart).  It was a breezy summer hit that played nicely on the radio in the summer of 1999.

But considering Britney's incredible discography, I kind of assumed this track would fall by the wayside a bit.  It just didn't seem like a standout among so many great songs, but it's had a longevity that many of her other songs (and some of her biggest hits) have not achieved!

Take YouTube, for instance. It's sitting at 312M views, whereas Crazy (the bigger hit and her only other top 10 hit of the album besides Baby) is over 100 million views behind at 200M.  It also has more views than any Oops single besides Oops itself! (Lucky 183M, Stronger 157M, and DLMBTLTK 56M).  And on Spotify it is ranked her12th most popular track with over 176M streams, which is more than hits like Till the World Ends, Everytime, and Crazy (although Crazy is a bit complicated because the best known version of the song is not on the BOMT album).

I can't speak for everyone as to why people keep coming back to the track, but a few things I will say:

• Her vocals are stunning
  • She did NOT have to go that hard on the video choreography
  • It has one of the best middle eights of any of her singles
  • It's super nostalgic
  • It's got one of the greatest remixes of any of her songs, the Soul Solution Mid-Tempo Mix! It's wonderfully 90s and hits a bit harder and groovier than the original mix:

I've definitely grown in appreciation for Sometimes, even if it's never been a favorite of Britney's herself!

You nailed it so well, i couldn’t summarize it better! 

It‘s a really good song and was a big hit back then (more outside US). 

It‘s one of those songs i never get tired off

• Love 3

As a kid I really liked the song because of how sweet it sounded, the typical 90's bubblegum poppish song. Very kid friendly.

And I do think the video emphasized the sweetness with the whole pure white themed outfits, her long wavey hair flipping in the wind, the beach, the grass, everything. 

For me it's a pretty song that makes me feel happy. Not too serious, not at all segxual, not having such a deep meaning. And I think sometimes we need songs like this. Quite rare these days.

The other day when the atmos version was out, I played it while my baby nephew was home and he enjoyed it and started dancing to the song. He's 2. It was adorable. 😊

• Love 3

lol. 
The main reason of huge views - how Britney’s breasts become so big. There were so many ideas in the press that time.

I love this single and I’m glad that they went with it for Summer 99 release . 

btw:
Sometimes and Crazy never were on the top of UK top-100 singles, but Born To Make You Happy was 😉

1 hour ago, IsLindsayLohanLikeOk said:

Sometimes is honestly one of my least favorite Britney songs, it's just so... dull. It gives absolutely nothing. 

Unrelated but the singles should have been:

Baby One More Time

You Drive Me (Crazy)

Born To Make You Happy

From The Bottom of my Broken Heart

Thinkin' About You

To each their own!  I would personally include I Will Be There in the "songs that should have been singles," but I do appreciate the Thinkin' About You love.  Talk about vocals!!

• Love 2

Probably i would have chosen „Born to make you happy“ as second single for worldwide release….

And „Sometimes“ for 4th single….

But just saying „Sometimes“ was #1 in Belgium, Netherlands, New Zealand, Czech, El Salvador, Honduras and Top 3 in many more countries! 

Edited by MoodRing3
13 hours ago, filmandstage13 said:

To each their own!  I would personally include I Will Be There in the "songs that should have been singles," but I do appreciate the Thinkin' About You love.  Talk about vocals!!

Agree with you. I Will Be There is so cute and still a bop. 

I’ve learned to appreciate Sometimes. It was cheesy to me, but now it's more nostalgic. The video is also so stunning. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block