Britney has 3 Tracks in 500 Best Pop Songs of All Time (Billboard)

Billboard has released a 500 Best Pop Songs of All Time list, and Britney is well represented with 3 songs on the list! (Oops at #268, Toxic at #53, and Baby at #12). Some fun write ups for each as well!

I know we’d all personally add more of her songs and push them further up the list, but this list is just another example of the growing critical appreciation of Britney’s work, which is LONG overdue. For fans who have been there since the beginning, critics dismissed, derided, or even ignored her work early on. The fastest way to lose credibility was to give her any credit. Most of this was rooted in s*xism and a general disdain for pop. But finally things are changing and many modern critics grew up with her music, appreciate its impact and longevity, and are no longer downplaying her role in her own success. Rolling Stone included her on their most recent greatest lists for both albums (Blackout) and songs (Baby and Toxic) lists. This would have seemed unheard of in the early 00s, no matter how warranted!

And if I’m reading correctly, she’s one of the few artists with 3 entries along with Madonna, Mariah, Prince, Michael, Janet, and the Beatles.

Slowly but surely she’s getting the recognition she deserves!!

• Love 3

I noticed this list purposely separates an artist’s songs by at least 50 spaces. So it was literally just a coinflip between Toxic and Baby for that #12 spot. It also explains how why Toxic doesn’t rank higher.

Either one of those songs should have been 5 or 10 tho. Call Me Maybe & Since You did not belong in the top 10.

I also wish they went with they went with Slave or Gimme instead of Oops since we already got Baby in there. Though BB never liked Slave since it only charted at #27

Other noticeable quirks were Say My Name ranking lower than Hotline Bling… what??

Finally, I’m shocked at Rihanna’s top song Umbrella only at #30

48 minutes ago, Psammead said:

I've never come across a musician who denigrated Britney's musical skills.

I certainly have!!! Britney is a female pop star and people are often quick to not see the skill in that. It contributes to this that she lip syncs and is less pretentious than some like Madonna and Gaga. I've observed Britney garnering much more respect in recent years because people see that she had longevity and influenced countless other artists. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block