Janet Jackson bops to Manjobi..

2 minutes ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

You don’t need to Google numbers and past achievements to determine if someone’s a legend or not. There’s a consensus about it. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Madonna, Michael Jackson - none of them had a hit song in years and they don’t really need to cause their status is cemented.

Just now, whenthedogscaneout said:

Madonna is on a completely different level and I don’t even like her, but her peak was so long and insane that her legend status is cemented forever.

Being a has been doesn’t mean you’re out on the streets asking for money. It just means you had a nice peak a long time ago and you never made it to legend status.

Consensus among whom? Did you do a poll yourself or gather those names from Rolling Stones’ greatest artists’ list? 

Your definition of “has been” is clearly one you’ve formed from your biased opinion. Janet has a wide discography, with each album showcasing a different layer of her artistic identity.

What Janet did with ‘Rhythm Nation’ alone is legend status. She created an all time record that changed the sound of pop music and set herself apart from the bubble gum pop of that time. She also didn’t need to succumb to being a s** icon with lyrical innuendos or overt ***ual tones and imagery (aka like Madonna).

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
59 minutes ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

Can you objectively say she’s up there with Elton, Michael, Madonna, Mariah and Whitney? Hell, even up there with Beyoncé? 

38 minutes ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

Madonna is on a completely different level and I don’t even like her, but her peak was so long and insane that her legend status is cemented forever.

Being a has been doesn’t mean you’re out on the streets asking for money. It just means you had a nice peak a long time ago and you never made it to legend status. Of course Xtina is still successful enough, in her own way, plus everyone remembers her amazing voice (unlike Janet).

Firstly, Janet is not known as a vocalist. Period. You arbitrarily listing any musician that comes to your mind only proves how inarticulate your argument is. Are we comparing vocalists, songwriters, or performers? Whitney Mariah, Christina and Beyonce are vocalists. Madonna, Janet and Britney are performers. And not only is Elton not even remotely Janet's contemporary, but he's also better known as a songwriter. Billy Joel hasn't written a song/had a hit song in 30 years and continues to sell out his concerts. Is he a has-been too?

1 hour ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

Being a has been doesn’t mean you’re out on the streets asking for money. It just means you had a nice peak a long time ago and you never made it to legend status. Of course Xtina is still successful enough, in her own way, plus everyone remembers her amazing voice (unlike Janet).

You talking up Madonna who had never made a good vocal harmony before Bedtime Stories while diminishing Janet who has ALWAYS had amazing vocal harmonies and arrangements

Edited by Applejack
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Zoey102 said:

Consensus among whom? Did you do a poll yourself or gather those names from Rolling Stones’ greatest artists’ list? 

Your definition of “has been” is clearly one you’ve formed from your biased opinion. Janet has a wide discography, with each album showcasing a different layer of her artistic identity.

What Janet did with ‘Rhythm Nation’ alone is legend status. She created an all time record that changed the sound of pop music and set herself apart from the bubble gum pop of that time. She also didn’t need to succumb to being a s** icon with lyrical innuendos or overt ***ual tones and imagery (aka like Madonna).

Girl did you just try to put Janet on a higher level than Madonna? :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Just no. They are not even close, regardless of your own personal preference. Madonna’s status is something else. 

You can’t say those things about Janet and then say I AM biased. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Zoey102 said:

Firstly, Janet is not known as a vocalist. Period. You arbitrarily listing any musician that comes to your mind only proves how inarticulate your argument is. Are we comparing vocalists, songwriters, or performers? Whitney Mariah, Christina and Beyonce are vocalists. Madonna, Janet and Britney are performers. And not only is Elton not even remotely Janet's contemporary, but he's also better known as a songwriter. Billy Joel hasn't written a song/had a hit song in 30 years and continues to sell out his concerts. Is he a has-been too?

Uh, Janet is not even up there with Beyoncé as a performer. Girl. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:
Billy Joel? I literally wrote how actual legends DON’T need to keep churning out hits once they’ve reached legend status. Janet ain’t there as far as I’m concerned. Nothing wrong with being a nice nostalgia act like Cyndi Lauper and Janet. 

Edited by whenthedogscaneout
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Applejack said:

You talking up Madonna who had never made a good vocal harmony before Bedtime Stories while diminishing Janet who has ALWAYS had amazing vocal harmonies and arrangements

See now you’re talking like a fan, and that’s cool. I’m not into Janet or Madonna, but there’s no competition there. It’s like comparing Mandy Moore to Britney, :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

Girl did you just try to put Janet on a higher level than Madonna? :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Just no. They are not even close, regardless of your own personal preference. Madonna’s status is something else. 

You can’t say those things about Janet and then say I AM biased. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

4 hours ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

Uh, Janet is not even up there with Beyoncé as a performer. Girl. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:
Billy Joel? I literally wrote how actual legends DON’T need to keep churning out hits once they’ve reached legend status. Janet ain’t there as far as I’m concerned. Nothing wrong with being a nice nostalgia act like Cyndi Lauper and Janet. 

This isn't a matter of personal preference, it's facts. You obviously know nothing about music and artistry and your recency bias further proves how unintelligent you and your entire argument is.
k60voc0ig8h31.jpg 

Edited by Zoey102
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

That’s so sweet of her. The Janet slander needs to stop. We’re in 2023.:peasants_taylor_swift_walking_away_bye_goodbye:

Her iconic dance routines and music videos have inspired generations of dancers and performers, including Britney and Beyoncé. Music wise she introduced groundbreaking production techniques and socially conscious themes. Not only that, but she made interludes popular lol. :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:
This is a gem, been replaying it lately :brit2016_britney_bikini_orange_dance_beach_swimming:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block