Has Taylor Swift surpassed Britney?

knee fans need to realise it's not 2004 anymore and that's okay :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

britney will forever be a pop icon but her albums / singles haven't been selling :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

her last real huge hit was scream and shout in 2013 when she was 15 years into her career  :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

taylor is 17 years into her career and is still pulling amazing numbers

like... she re recorded an old album and it's sold +700k in its first week:tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

• Love 1
  • Like 4

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: If you see who is doing business currently yes Taylor is doing really well. Remember Britney’s inner and music journey was interrupted due to conservatorship, she is now spending her energy recovering. You can’t compare the current scenario to peak of Taylor Swift’s career. Compare Britney’s peak with Taylor’s peak. The raw talent, the magic and the energy of Britney Spears. The whole world was enamoured and in Britney frenzy. She is THE blueprint of what it means to be a pop star and her peak is the absolute pinnacle of what is humanly achievable. You can’t compare every other popular/successful musician to BRITNEY ******* SPEARS. Britney is up there with Micheal Jackson, she’s a living legend.

• Love 5

Awww Sagittarius girlies! Their birthdays are only 7 days apart, btw.

Even though I’m a fan of Taylor’s music, her personality can be insufferable at times LOL. Britney is sweeter in general.

Taylor is a good businesswoman. She’s very pragmatic and calculative. She has an iron skin and has managed to turn her 2016 public backlash around with an excellent marketing strategy for Reputation, and she was definitely headed towards a musical decline/slump until Folklore. This kind of ruthless hustle is why Taylor is so successful.

• Like 1

I'm screaming at some individuals believing that an artist can surpass Britney Spears through desperate tactics of incessantly releasing and selling albums, remixes, vinyls, and re-releases solely to manipulate streaming numbers and sales. Although Taylor has achieved considerable streaming success, she only has three songs with 1 billion streams :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

While Taylor does employ various marketing tactics and demonstrates excellent business acumen, her impact on the industry is limited. Her music and image lack uniqueness and is basic, she will be eventually forgotten

Election 2020 Lol GIF by Joe Biden

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

It's not 2015 :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay::lollipop_britney_sucker_dancing_party_2012::quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke:

She's like Beyonce; 1000 hits, but everybody knows she only has Crazy In Love, Singles Ladies... and what else?

In TS case, Shake It Off, nothing else... :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

Britney?

...BOMT, OIDIA, Slave, MATM, Toxic, Everytime, Gimme More, Piece Of Me, Womanizer, Circus, HIAM, TTWE, I Wanna Go, Work *****... :bparty_piece_of_me_pom_britney_clubbing_blackout_2007_dancing_dance: and the list goes on :thirsty_britney_onyx_drink_flirt_drinking_sipping_fan_hot:

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Dussiniers said:

It's not 2015 :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay::lollipop_britney_sucker_dancing_party_2012::quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke:

She's like Beyonce; 1000 hits, but everybody knows she only has Crazy In Love, Singles Ladies... and what else?

In TS case, Shake It Off, nothing else... :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

Britney?

...BOMT, OIDIA, Slave, MATM, Toxic, Everytime, Gimme More, Piece Of Me, Womanizer, Circus, HIAM, TTWE, I Wanna Go, Work *****... :bparty_piece_of_me_pom_britney_clubbing_blackout_2007_dancing_dance: and the list goes on :thirsty_britney_onyx_drink_flirt_drinking_sipping_fan_hot:

Beyoncé has more hits than Britney. Including recent hits. You are very delusional to believe that POM, HIAM e MATM are better known than Halo, Baby Boy, and Irrepleceable.

Some people's heads will explode when they finally realize it's not 2004 anymore.

Edited by Joel Santos
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
  • Like 2
On 7/29/2023 at 12:09 AM, Sia said:

I personally don't care much for the Taylor hype (to each their own), but what I do find kind of comical is that people in this fan base still act like Taylor is some fresh new artist to the scene.

The girl has been doing music since 2007 and she's arguably gotten more popular with each album release. Are we going to ignore the fact that the Eras Tour has single handedly outsold all of Britney's tours COMBINED.

Taylor is 16 years into her career. Ask yourself, where was Britney 16 years into hers. In a conservatorship releasing Glory with a Vegas residency. 

Britney is iconic in her own right and has her lane, just like those before her have as well. That said, if you're going to sit there and imply that Taylor Swift is nowhere near Britney's level of fame and success, then you're downright delusional.

Like come on...

ThisAngry The End GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Love 1

This answer is subjective.

Fame and impact wise? No. 

Numbers and consistency wise? Yes.

Point is, Britney was a cultural phenomenon and an unprecedented star that truly hadn’t been seen before. Her launch to stardom was not only a seismic shift in the landscape of pop music but American and pop culture. No artist will achieve that sort of spectacle and obsession over their every move that Britney had from 1999-2008.

After Britney’s debut, it goes (1999-2023):

1. Justin Bieber
2. Rihanna
3. Beyoncé
4. Eminem
5. Miley Cyrus
6. Jennifer Lopez
7. Lady Gaga

…and then 8. Taylor Swift

Michael and Shakira would have also been included before Taylor but their solo album debuts were before 1999.

So as you can see, the overall answer is no. In many ways…Taylor still has a lot of catching up. She will likely surpass JLo, Miley and Gaga by the end of this year but she still has a long way to go to surpass Eminem, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Bieber and Britney. 

Edited by BadBunny
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, joe sp said:

There's nothing to discuss sis

I still don't know why is she so successful

And I haven't heard any artist saying Taylor Swift inspired them 

She will fall at some point like Gaga, Katy, etc. I just hope the next pop girl will be an actual star

I think people forget that Britney was a literal joke from 2005-2007. Do we forget how tv shows would ROAST her:

Edited by Sia
15 hours ago, Joel Santos said:

Beyoncé has more hits than Britney

That's definitely not true :ehidk_britney_um_eek:

But it's a multifaceted subject, not every song that is popular in one country achieves the same level of success in other countries. Additionally, moderate hits add further complexity to the matter. Also, a song doesn't have to perform amazingly on charts to be remembered and considered a hit. Look at Stronger, Lucky etc. :unbothered_apple_chew_bite_hair_eat_chomp_red:

• Like 1

In terms of success yes, Taylor surpassed Britney by far! Taylor it's a phenom of popularity, breaking records every week. 

Britney was a iconic performer and trend setter, but she's "died" in 2004. She doesn't dance anymore, doesn't have the spark, her new music is forgettable, she doesn't sing... I don't say that it's her fault, her family and her team totally kill her. 

1 hour ago, oliveranto said:

In terms of success yes, Taylor surpassed Britney by far! Taylor it's a phenom of popularity, breaking records every week. 

These records don't hold the same significance because we're living in the streaming era, the landscape has changed drastically. Rules in the music industry today are different, and it's challenging to directly compare them to past artists like Britney when she was at her peak. If streaming platforms existed during Britney's prime, it's likely that she and other legendary artists would have also achieved remarkable feats, such as breaking numerous records and charting multiple songs from an album in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Henry. said:

These records don't hold the same significance because we're living in the streaming era, the landscape has changed drastically. Rules in the music industry today are different, and it's challenging to directly compare them to past artists like Britney when she was at her peak. If streaming platforms existed during Britney's prime, it's likely that she and other legendary artists would have also achieved remarkable feats, such as breaking numerous records and charting multiple songs from an album in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:

"britney when she was at her peak" 

Taylor already has a longer successful career than britney. Britney's prime lasted 4/5 years... 

You're right about sales and streamings, but Taylor has a sold out stadium tour, outselling all britney tours combined. 

I love britney, she'll always be a pop icon, but I'm not blind. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block