BOMT > OIDIA > Britney. Peaked.

HIM

Discuss to me why Britney couldn’t match or outdo her debut. 

Her follow up album was highly anticipated but it didn’t surpass BOMT sales. Then after ODIA, Britney album sold even less. 

Take into account that other popular and big acts would go on to outsell themselves again and again. 

Examples: 

Michael Jackson: Got To Be There < Off the Wall < Thriller. Peaked. 

Celine Dion: Unison < Celine Dion < The Color or My Love < Falling into You < Let’s Talk About Love. Peaked.

Madonna: Madonna < Like a Virgin < True Blue < The Immaculate Collection. Peaked.

Mariah Carey: Mariah Carey > Emotions < Music Box. Peaked. 

They peaked but they continued to go on and outsell a flop album. Not Britney. Her sales are a downward slope compared to other artists. I think BJ still surpasses Glory am I right? 

Why Britney only peaked with her first album. The only spike in her sales are between Blackout and Circus but after Circus she began to sell less and less. Whhyyyyyyy???? I’m kinda pressed about it 

• Haha 2

I guess BOMT was a huge success that everyone simply loved. From that moment on, it's always been "cool" to hate Britney though. So I guess as years went by she relied mostly on her fanbase and casual listeners, but people who were determined to hate on her or thought she was a manufactured puppet didn't as much as listen to her on the radio. Other pop acts didn't trigger such kind of love/hate reactions,  I guess. That said, she's still the 2nd biggest act in the US in the 00s.

That's my 2 cents. 

• Love 2

What a weird *** comparison. Michael Jackson's first album was released when he was like 13 and it sold 1.5M worldwide. Obviously that wouldn't be his peak. BOMT was an entirely different thing.

Same with Celine Dion's first album. It sold 4M worldwide, so unlike with BOMT there was far more room to grow.

Edited by very_urban
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, Rachel Green Geller said:

I guess BOMT was a huge success that everyone simply loved. From that moment on, it's always been "cool" to hate Britney though. So I guess as years went by she relied mostly on her fanbase and casual listeners, but people who were determined to hate on her or thought she was a manufactured puppet didn't as much as listen to her on the radio. Other pop acts didn't trigger such kind of love/hate reactions,  I guess. That said, she's still the 2nd biggest act in the US in the 00s.

That's my 2 cents. 

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I guess after her initial success people tuned out, slowly not at all once. Since 25M for Oops is still outstanding. It’s unfortunate that even when Britney started to experiment and write her own songs during her two eras before hiatus she didn’t gain more fans. Oh well sales do not diminish her icon status which is cemented already. I just wish Britney had more 7-10M+ albums in her discography sometimes. Whatever. 

35 minutes ago, very_urban said:

What a weird *** comparison. Michael Jackson's first album was released when he was like 13 and it sold 1.5M worldwide. Obviously that wouldn't be his peak. BOMT was an entirely different thing.

Same with Celine Dion's first album. It sold 4M worldwide, so unlike with BOMT there was far more room to grow.

Céline dion was only being marketed in French markets,  of course those numbers reflect that..

45 minutes ago, Rachel Green Geller said:

That's my 2 cents. 

The reaction came from mom's, they even said, my little girl will be married before she even had intercourse. 

I will approve of her dates by asking questions and dates only in my house. That was an actual conversation the mother was born In 1960 something..

2 hours ago, HIM said:

Discuss to me why Britney couldn’t match or outdo her debut. 

Her follow up album was highly anticipated but it didn’t surpass BOMT sales. Then after ODIA, Britney album sold even less. 

Take into account that other popular and big acts would go on to outsell themselves again and again. 

Examples: 

Michael Jackson: Got To Be There < Off the Wall < Thriller. Peaked. 

Celine Dion: Unison < Celine Dion < The Color or My Love < Falling into You < Let’s Talk About Love. Peaked.

Madonna: Madonna < Like a Virgin < True Blue < The Immaculate Collection. Peaked.

Mariah Carey: Mariah Carey > Emotions < Music Box. Peaked. 

They peaked but they continued to go on and outsell a flop album. Not Britney. Her sales are a downward slope compared to other artists. I think BJ still surpasses Glory am I right? 

Why Britney only peaked with her first album. The only spike in her sales are between Blackout and Circus but after Circus she began to sell less and less. Whhyyyyyyy???? I’m kinda pressed about it 

Max Martin Peak… 

Britney the artist peaked ITZ and BLACKOUT… sorry she didn’t sell as high but it’s the truth… she was basically a girl group with her name attached solely… 

Convo over 🫠

i feel like BOMT really set the bar high saleswise, the chance of her or anyone topping that in 00s was very very small. Still with OIDIA she held that 1st week record and still sold like water. I always consider OIDIA to be a more successful album than BOMT because that record holds a lot of power to me. Coming into the Britney era from two incredibly successful eras made everyone see Britney as a flop but as she said herself, she still outsold many many other people with that one. Overall I think that having BOMT and OIDIA as a starting point for this conversation is unfair cause those were two absolute monsters of albums. She always kinda followed/slightly outsold the sale trends of the moment she released her albums until Britney Jean and Glory in my opinion where it just didnt work :sickofu_britney_blinking_umm_wtf_confused_annoyed:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block