This Day in Pop: 'My Only Wish (This Year)' is officially released as a single in 2020 (November 06)

001.jpg

On November 06, 2020 Britney's Christmas classic My Only Wish (This Year) was officially released as a single on streaming platforms. The song was originally released 20 years prior as part of the Platinum Christmas compilation album, which came out on November 14, 2000.

Though the song never got the official single treatment back in the day, year after year the song received radio airplay as well as important streaming during the digital era, currently being one of Britney's most streamed songs on Spotify with over 206M streams.

The song peaked in 2001 on the US Holiday Airplay chart at #7, on the Holiday 100 at #81 in 2015, at #12 on the Holiday Digital Songs Sales chart in 2020, and it also peaked in January 2022 on the Billboard Global 200 chart at #112 and at #78 on the Billboard Global 200 Excl. US. It's also appeared in many international charts over the years.

60817350_038_b

It was in 2020 when it received a proper single cover, which was also used for the vinyl released through Urban Outfitters a month after its digital release.

The song was written and produced by Brian Kierulf and Josh Schwartz, both of which would later get to work on the album Britney released in 2001. Josh talked about how My Only Wish came to be on the Original Doll podcast with Jame Rodriguez. He said the song originally started as a sad song inspired by the 60's era, with lyrics along the lines of "Santa please don't break my heart" eventually reworked into the cheerful tune we all know and love.

He also remembered the day Britney recorded the song, which happened to be right after she had shot the Stronger music video until the early morning. He mentions her wearing a bucket hat, which by the dates, might have probably been this

004.jpg

or this

normal_001.jpg

but I digress

My Only Wish (This Year) has also been covered by various artists, including Brazilian singer Xuxa who made a Portuguese version of the song in 2009

It was also featured on Netflix's Single All the Way in 2021.

• Love 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block