Demi Lovato's and Ariana's beauty lines flop

''When Morphe Beauty hit a rough patch early in the pandemic, as masked-up consumers turned from eyeshadow palettes to niacinamide serum, it looked to some of the culture’s biggest stars for help.

YouTube sensation Emma Chamberlain signed on as creative director of Bad Habit, a skin care label that launched at the end of 2020. TikTok mega-influencer Charli D’Amelio was tapped to release a fragrance, plus a skin care line developed with the help of famed dermatologist Dendy Engelman. A Demi Lovato beauty line was put in motion.

But the “silver bullet” was meant to be R.E.M. Beauty, according to several former executives. Forma Brands, the “brand incubator” formed in 2019 to manage Morphe and a growing portfolio of sister lines negotiated the license to release beauty and skin care products for the pop star Ariana Grande in early 2021, and rushed a line of space-themed makeup into production.''

Today, Forma Brands has little to show for its efforts. Chamberlain quietly left Bad Habit when her one-year contract expired; the brand reported just $3.4 million in sales last year, less than half Forma’s projections. D’Amelio released her fragrance, Born Dreamer, in June, but the skin care line has been shelved, as has Lovato’s beauty brand. R.E.M. Beauty’s release was overshadowed by other blockbuster celebrity launches, including Selena Gomez’s Rare Beauty and Hailey Bieber’s Rhode Skin Care; it is seen by many inside Forma as an expensive disappointment, according to several people with knowledge on the matter.

[...]

R.E.M. Beauty was a last-ditch attempt to make the celebrity-centric strategy work, several former Forma executives told BoF.

The company hoped Grande and R.E.M. would replicate the success of Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty, which kicked off the celebrity makeup craze in 2017, or Selena Gomez’s Rare Beauty, which exploded onto the market in 2020, quickly becoming a top seller at Sephora.

“We needed this brand to launch,” a second former Forma executive said. “The thinking was, ‘Ariana will launch and probably save the company’ because none of the brands were doing well.”

Forma spent millions of dollars on R.E.M.’s marketing campaigns, according to multiple sources, including two former executives with knowledge of the matter.

“We stopped spending — marketing money, people — on pretty much everyone but R.E.M. It was all on hold,” said a third former Forma Brands executive. “Investors would not approve any budgets until they saw how R.E.M. played out.”

''Forma had a megastar name in Grande, top-tier production values for its marketing and strategically timed teaser posts on the singer’s social media accounts leading up to launch. But the brand failed to articulate what made it stand out amid an increasingly crowded field of celebrity lines: Gomez has a uniquely tight bond with her fans, and the products weren’t addressing an untapped need in the market, as Fenty’s 40 shades of foundation did.''

WWW.BUSINESSOFFASHION.COM

The cosmetic brand’s parent company is facing an uncertain future after a series of troubled attempts to launch new makeup and skin care lines around influencers and pop stars.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Some of R.E.M. Beauty's products look okay, I follow them on Instagram and I also like the PR packaging for the products. It's cool the brand has launched in the UK too, it's available in Selfridges.

But at the same time there isn't really anything about the brand that helps make them stand out, there's been a lot of mixed views about their products and the brand as a whole. I remember seeing a few comments from people saying the eyeshadow pallettes look like cheap ones you can get at Claires, and I can kinda see it.

Fenty Beauty and Rare Beauty have definitely been the most successful celebrity beauty brands in recent years. I think part of the reason they've both been so successful is the fact they are inclusive towards all skin tones (I'm white but well aware that there's a lot of makeup brands out there that haven't been great at catering towards POC). Both Rihanna and Selena seem to have worked really hard on their products too and making sure they are of a high standard.

Ariana does seem to promote her brand a lot on Instagram though, I suppose if they did a relaunch like Gaga's Haus Labs they might have a second chance.

I'm not even sure what a Demi beauty brand would look like, I can't help but picture her selling a line of s£x toys over makeup ddd

• Love 1
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Isla said:

Some of R.E.M. Beauty's products look okay, I follow them on Instagram and I also like the PR packaging for the products. It's cool the brand has launched in the UK too, it's available in Selfridges.

But at the same time there isn't really anything about the brand that helps make them stand out, there's been a lot of mixed views about their products and the brand as a whole. I remember seeing a few comments from people saying the eyeshadow pallettes look like cheap ones you can get at Claires, and I can kinda see it.

Fenty Beauty and Rare Beauty have definitely been the most successful celebrity beauty brands in recent years. I think part of the reason they've both been so successful is the fact they are inclusive towards all skin tones (I'm white but well aware that there's a lot of makeup brands out there that haven't been great at catering towards POC). Both Rihanna and Selena seem to have worked really hard on their products too and making sure they are of a high standard.

Ariana does seem to promote her brand a lot on Instagram though, I suppose if they did a relaunch like Gaga's Haus Labs they might have a second chance.

I'm not even sure what a Demi beauty brand would look like, I can't help but picture her selling a line of s£x toys over makeup ddd

At this point, celebs don't do the beauty lines to fix the market. They are just chasing the money. Remember the celebrity perfume boom cc 2011 onwards. Yup. Same thing with make up. Everyone wants a quick cash grab with little to no input.

And that's why Demi flopped.

And I'm glad.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, FreeBritBrit said:

At this point, celebs don't do the beauty lines to fix the market. They are just chasing the money. Remember the celebrity perfume boom cc 2011 onwards. Yup. Same thing with make up. Everyone wants a quick cash grab with little to no input.

And that's why Demi flopped.

And I'm glad.

Yeah you probably have a point, Ariana still releases perfumes which seem to be successful for her, and I actually like them! I got God Is a Woman last year and it smells really nice. Apart from her, Britney and Billie Eilish I can't think of anyone who still does perfumes, they were very popular back in the early-mid 2010s though.

Selena and Gaga at least actually continue to use their makeup products though (I'm sure Rihanna does too but I don't follow her), whereas in the past a celeb may launch a couple of beauty products but don't really use or endorse them cause they just want the money.

10 minutes ago, Isla said:

Yeah you probably have a point, Ariana still releases perfumes which seem to be successful for her, and I actually like them! I got God Is a Woman last year and it smells really nice. Apart from her, Britney and Billie Eilish I can't think of anyone who still does perfumes, they were very popular back in the early-mid 2010s though.

Selena and Gaga at least actually continue to use their makeup products though (I'm sure Rihanna does too but I don't follow her), whereas in the past a celeb may launch a couple of beauty products but don't really use or endorse them cause they just want the money.

Xtina. Last time I checked she has 20 of them, it's ******* bizarre :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Paris Hilton is still pumping them, JLo, Mariah. Can't think of others. Katy Perry and Avril had some but flopped. Taylor interestingly flopped too after a year and like- 5 perfumes

• Love 2
3 hours ago, FreeBritBrit said:

Xtina. Last time I checked she has 20 of them, it's ******* bizarre :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Paris Hilton is still pumping them, JLo, Mariah. Can't think of others. Katy Perry and Avril had some but flopped. Taylor interestingly flopped too after a year and like- 5 perfumes

I had no idea ddd. A shame about Taylor as I liked her perfumes!

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block