Blackout 33 1/3 AMA (ask me anything) with author Natasha Lasky

In my OPINION — Blackout is overrated, dated af and sounds like the offspring of what Justin Timberlake, Paris Hilton and Nelly Furtado were doing in 2006. The only timeless tracks are the singles and that’s about it considering over half of the album sounds rushed and/or one-dimensional. Freakshow, Get Back and Perfect Lover are cute, but other than that — too many disposable tracks! And it’s not that it’s a bad album but a lot of it is almost unlistenable in 2022. Oops!… I Did It Again, Britney and In the Zone are MILES better but it isn’t politically correct to say so, at least not yet. :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever: Also, so many demos/unreleased tracks that had potential to make Blackout a near-to-perfect pop album were cut. Kiss You All Over, Let Go, Untitled Lullaby, Sugarfall, All That She Wants, Dramatic and many others. Blackout deserved to be raw and vulnerable but instead, we got nothing but a lot of meaningless s**-pop with overprocessed vocals and robotic productions. And unless you listen to the likes of Charli XCX, Slayyyter and Kim Petras, no one is citing the album as an influence.

• Haha 6
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Joshyworld said:

Blackout is overrated, dated af and sounds like the offspring of what Justin Timberlake, Paris Hilton and Nelly Furtado were doing in 2006. The only timeless tracks are the singles and that’s about it considering that half of the album sounds rushed and/or one-dimensional. It’s not that it’s a bad album but a lot of it is almost unlistenable in 2022. Oops!… I Did It Again, Britney and In the Zone are MILES better but it isn’t politically correct to say so. :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever: Also, so many demos/unreleased that had potential to make Blackout a near-to-perfect pop album were cut. Kiss You All Over, Let Go, Untitled Lullaby, Sugarfall, All That She Wants, Dramatic and many others. Blackout deserved to be raw and vulnerable but instead, we got nothing but a lot of meaningless s**-pop and overprocessed vocals with robotic sounds. And unless you listen to the likes of Charli XCX, Slayyyter and Kim Petras, no one is citing the album as an influence.

I agree more unreleased songs should’ve made it, but blackout deserved all the credit it gets and more even just for bringing dubstep to mainstream pop. No one else was doing it and a couple years later it was everywhere :comingthru_miss_ny_new_york_pollard_tiffany_walk_runway_hair:

• Love 3
  • Like 3

Hi there, Natasha. Thanks for your time and generosity. How do the alleged Original Doll album and Blackout interweave, if at all? Was there any song that was supposed to be in the OD and was possibly used or served as inspiration for Blackout? Is there any connection, continuation or is it a total break from one sound, vision to the other?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, WilderWein said:

what a rude negative uncalled for useless comment on a thread where we are meant to ask questions for those interested. just **** off then. 

Be nice. Don’t derail the thread. It’s solely my opinion which we are all allowed to have. I just hope to live for the day where albums like Oops, Britney and ITZ will get the recognition that Blackout has and continues to receives.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block