Blackout 33 1/3 AMA (ask me anything) with author Natasha Lasky

• Leader
12 hours ago, GlitterRain said:

Jordan getting ready to write his book :imacoolmom_mean_girls_amy_poehler_pink:

I actually looked into writing a book a few months ago. I had a meeting with a company called Scribe. Made some great relationships. The idea wouldn't be focused around Britney, rather my journey with BreatheHeavy and community building with inspirational-type stuff sprinkled in. At least, that was my initial idea. 

Exhale+  |  Apparel |  YouTube

• Super Mods
3 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

I actually looked into writing a book a few months ago. I had a meeting with a company called Scribe. Made some great relationships. The idea wouldn't be focused around Britney, rather my journey with BreatheHeavy and community building with inspirational-type stuff sprinkled in. At least, that was my initial idea. 

Omg leave it to me to get the Exhale exclusive. A BreatheHeavy book  :ohmygawd_britney_omg_shocked_wow_holy_crap_gasp_shocked_itz_in_the_zone_white: I’d buy a copy, Jordan! Love that idea :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas: 

• Love 1
On 9/28/2022 at 1:31 AM, Joshyworld said:

Be nice. Don’t derail the thread. It’s solely my opinion which we are all allowed to have. I just hope to live for the day where albums like Oops, Britney and ITZ will get the recognition that Blackout has and continues to receives.

I feel the same. Blackout sounds too raw and unpolished - and I get that it's why people worship it. But to me, with the exception of "Gimme More," all of it sounds like a demo disc. Also I'm not a fan o Robotney, which the album basically is.

I too am living for the day Oops, Britney and ITZ are acknowledged as the masterpieces they are - specially ITZ because she REALLY took her time with this one. 

Just my 2 cents 'cause we're ALL ALLOWED to express ourselves as long as there's no disrespect, right? Literally the definition of a "forum"  :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

MY QUESTIONS:

1... Did you get to find out who was responsible for leaving "State of Grace" out!? Not even as a bonus for the Japanese edition :wendycry_wiliams_panicked_crying_tears_upset_sad: One of my fave Britney ballads with a vibe/beat; I fell in love with it right at the first time I watched that video and she played it in the car.

Plus: how can we manage to track this senseless person and cancel them from life:schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:

Just kidding. Or not.

2... Lots of people certainly have asked already, but just to endorse: WTH happened to "Rebellion" and why hasn't it leaked yet? Some people must have it, it's almost impossible for anyone not to have it. (Do you know if Britney even remembers this song's existence at this point?).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BritneyGXKB said:

Blackout of course

Original Doll had already been cancelled in January 2005 by the time Rebellion was recorded in 2006. 

But everything points out to Britney having recorded it with the intention of it belonging to the "Original Doll" project (at least the demo). When she went to the radio and played the demo of "Mona Lisa," also announcing the OD album, she claimed it was half done. Wasn't "Rebellion" recorded during these sessions before she was forced to cancel it? I guess only the ASCAP register happened later in 2006 when she was still intending to release it on whatever album would come next.

This seems to support my theory:

"Britney wanted the song on the album that eventually became Blackout, JIVE threatened to have the album on hold and wanted her to forget about the song, which she did in order for the fans to listen to the body of work she was proud of."

Source: Rebellion | Britney Spears Wiki | Fandom

Apparently she pushed and tried to include it on "Blackout," since OD was held hostage and later assassinated and this was her only "label-approved" next album. She probably wanted so bad for it to get released back then, maybe that's why it was on the "Blackout" demo disc. She did try at least one more time. But they didn't let her anyway...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 8:00 PM, NatashaL said:

Hi! I'm Natasha Lasky, and I just wrote a book about Blackout for Bloomsbury's 33 1/3 series, putting it in conversation with the rest of Britney's career, the context of the time, and the trajectory of pop music and fan culture more broadly.

Would love to answer any questions about the book and talk about all things Britney/the pop bible.

I'll come back on Wednesday and respond to your questions! 

ama-blackout2.jpg.5a0dec208a7b698d24cd8a21f973b8e8.jpg

Hey Natasha, just curious how you had so much info or who provided you so much detailed context about World of Britney? Would have been fun to have had a chance to talk to you before the book was written. 

-Ruben

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.