I feel like "Oops" has been a lie...

I was listening to the newly leaked "Oops!...I Did it Again" stems and I have to say that I was kind of disappointed to hear that some of my favorite parts in the song were so overproduced. Now don't get me wrong, I know that almost all songs are modified and altered to sound perfect, but it's still nice to know that the song as a whole is true to the artist's capabilities.

For example, the higher notes in the bridge/chorus after the talking section are so obviously auto-tuned and the longer notes she holds out aren't even real. You can hear in the stems where she hit the note for a short second and they just cut and pasted it to extend it and make it sound like she's holding the notes out.

Again, not the end of the world, but after hearing those elements so clearly, it just takes away from the song now. 

Anyway...rant over....

• Love 4

The word “autotune” often gets said here when clearly “vocoder” is what’s being referred to, along with vocal production and background vocals? The stems sound great, she is hitting every note with complete control. Not a flat moment. Not many can say that about their studio stems.

• Love 8
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, BritneyGXKB said:

The word “autotune” often gets said here when clearly “vocoder” is what’s being referred to, along with vocal production and background vocals? The stems sound great, she is hitting every note with complete control. Not a flat moment. Not many can say that about their studio stems.

I'm sure you're listening to something else. You can HEAR the pitch correction and it's most noticeable in that her entire tone changes when the note hits. You can hear the slide where the autotune kicks in. Also, a vocoder doesn't correct pitch, it modulates the voice to give it a synthetic sound. 

The pitch correction doesn't bother me as much as the long notes not even being real. Granted it was late 1999/early 2000 when they produced it, but it clearly was not done smoothly lol.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

I kinda feel the same tbh, cause I've noticed that too! :verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm: Btw when you say pitch correction are you referring to the "I'm NOT THAT Innocent" part? After the spoken section?

And when it comes to the long note, yeah it felt a bit weird, cause you can clearly hear where they cut the voice just to paste it again... I was actually thinking and hoping for Stronger and Where Are You Now to not be the same, if we'll ever be able to listen to a proper acapella or stems of those gems :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: but yeah, it left me a little bit... Idk, I'm still enjoying the song but whenever I listen to it I still think about the bad edit/production of that long note lol :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao:

• Love 2

We all know Britney doesn’t have the strongest voice, and her team was ultimately selling a product. So that doesn’t ruin it for me, her music is still great. I’ve always loved how she sings, but also how she’s produced and how her vocals really become part of the instrumentation and blend with her songs. It’s very cool. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, studlygeorge said:

I find stuff like this quite fascinating honestly. I’ve heard Britney did over 100+ takes of this song and what Max Martin did was stitch the best words from each take into its own take. So it’s not necessarily that it was one or two takes, it’s a bunch of takes spliced together.

That’s interesting to read I actually remember P!nk saying back in the day that she could never work with max martin because he makes Britney record every word over and over till it’s right. This didn’t just happen with Britney seems to be common in pop, this Also happened with one direction. I was watching behind the scenes of one of their tours, and when they weren’t performing at night, they were recording there follow up album. (I believe oops was recorded during the bomt tour) If you paid attention you noticed they made the boys record  every verse or word over and over again till it sounded just perfect. You can literally see the frustration in zayns face after a while of doing the same highnote over and over.

in the rushed manufactured world of pop this just seems to be how it goes especially for new young artist. The team strikes while the iron is hot! While you’re still young, fresh, and very popular so that equals over worked and a  time crunched schedule for the artist

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Sia said:

I'm sure you're listening to something else. You can HEAR the pitch correction and it's most noticeable in that her entire tone changes when the note hits. You can hear the slide where the autotune kicks in. Also, a vocoder doesn't correct pitch, it modulates the voice to give it a synthetic sound. 

The pitch correction doesn't bother me as much as the long notes not even being real. Granted it was late 1999/early 2000 when they produced it, but it clearly was not done smoothly lol.

You said it yourself “her entire tone changes when the note hits” her tone changes the pitch does not change meaning there was no “pitch correction” or autotune. 

And these “fake” notes are pretty standard in the production of a song, using the voice as an instrument includes distorting and manipulating it. Oftentimes these notes are hit exceedingly well in the studio but the producers and everybody else involved decide to stitch together some more “perfect” sounding vocals to approximate the original recording.

• Like 1
On 7/19/2022 at 6:31 PM, Puppy said:

This reminds me when Cyndi Lauper said Max Martin would make Britney sing every word so he can splice together a perfect take.

On 7/19/2022 at 4:27 PM, 3IsACharm33 said:

I actually remember P!nk saying back in the day that she could never work with max martin because he makes Britney record every word over and over till it’s right.

Did both of them actually say the same thing regarding MM? 

spacer.png

there are many things I hear that I have never heard before but there are also a lot of things missing that are in the song like ad libs and runs that I just assume are on a different layer of the track. I know when they remastered ITZ the engineer said that it was a very difficult album to remaster because of the complexity of the song layers. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block