Is Bionic REALLY a flop or was ahead of its time?

It has its moments, but it’s no Stripped. I think it’s a bit overlong. I hardly ever make it all the way through. Sometimes artists have a lot of great ideas and struggle with editing them down, and I feel like that’s what happened here.

And with all that was included, I still don’t know why Birds of Prey didn’t make the standard edition.

Also, I never followed Perez at all, so I don’t know what impact that had on the public’s reception. But I do think it was a misstep to put out “Not Myself Tonight” as the first single. It was the most Gaga-esque track on the album and basically welcomed the comparisons. It didn’t help that she looked like Gaga in the video with all the latex and the hair. It just came off that she was a couple years behind for an album that was supposed to be ahead of its time.

christina-aguilera-in-not-myself-tonight

I think if it had come out before Poker Face it would have been viewed differently, maybe even revolutionary. But it felt a little like bandwagon jumping at the time, especially coming off such a radically different era like Back to Basics.

Still, excited for her upcoming music! I think she’s still got some great ideas in her!

• Like 4

I know I get read to filth for this, but this album felt like a Gaga copy, which I know can't be as it was long before in production but Gaga did the pop electronic thing so much better and lived it. Whereas Christina went back and forth with her looks, her performances and lastly her attitude was somewhere in the clouds after back to basics.

Yes there are three songs that really stood out but there also were too many songs that felt like a bad demo missing something. Also she didn't do as many ad libs on that album if I remember correctly. It felt overly generic which is why I didn't like it as a whole as much. I'm fine with the singles and birds of prey though.

• Like 2

Not a cohesive album at all

But I think it flopped cause the public wasnt seeing her like that big anymore

When she last released her álbum (before Bionic) in 2006, a lot happened.

Rihanna, Gaga, Katy rising to superstardom, there were Nelly Furtado and Fergie big sucess, Britney's comeback, Bey slaying...

• Like 1

Bionic feels both behind and ahead of its time if you get what I mean. I feel that album stricly had to come out in 2008 or 2009 latest. I think it’s a flop, love Xtina but B2B and Stripped are way better. I was re-listening to Liberation the other day but I’ve honestly only listened to Bionic once lol.

On 10/30/2021 at 8:51 PM, returcus said:

That's not true. She had the album ready with Glam as a first single (with the same idea to put tribute to Madonna but to Vouge) but before shooting Burlesque. After the movie she felt reinspired and decided to go back to studio - that's how NMT Woohoo and IHB were born. And she decided to include them and that's it. We don't know how much label was pushing for more safe sounding tracks, but for sure she couldnt put everything just like that as she wanted. She wanted Birds Of Prey as a single

Omg this is really interesting, I love Glam and wished it was a single, honesty feel like it would’ve initially been a moderate/gay hit and over time in a few years it would have slowly grown to a GP hit similar to Work Btch’s trajectory.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.