Gimme More vs Toxic

?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Toxic is special because it represents Britney at the top of her game in the eyes of the GP. It's iconic for that same reason, and we value mainstream success to a certain extent. Ask any basic local normie what their favorite Brit song is and they will say Toxic exactly 94.687% of the time.

That said, any real fan should agree it's not her best song (by far) and it' very overplayed. Gimme more on the other hand takes a huge step back from the perfect polished pop product version of Britney and presents the darker, more gritty, no f-s given side of her narrative - which was a huge turn off for some people at the time. For others however (most real fans imo), it's the introduction of this darkness and mystery that actually makes Brit's story incredibly compelling and in a sense, elevates the rest of her discography.  

• Love 7
  • Like 1

I think Toxic is suffering from the fact it’s so popular. Which is not fair. It’s a fantastic and unique song and Britney sounds amazing on it. It’s quite different from anything else. 

Gimme More is great too. Both songs are in my top 5 Britney songs. But I have to vote for Toxic in all 3 categories.
The music video for Gimme More is a disaster and Toxic is more iconic obviously as well. So the only one I was hesitating about was the first question. But still had to go for Toxic.

• Love 5
  • Like 1

‘Toxic’ is the far, FAR better song and any valued music critic will tell you that. Those who remotely think for a second that ‘Gimme More’ is the better song are simply living in delusion. It’s a modern-day pop masterpiece and the arrangement washes the latter out of the water but keep convincing yourself otherwise. :chrissy_xtina_head_tilt_purse_sass: 

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

‘Toxic’ is the far, FAR better song and any valued music critic will tell you that. Those who remotely think for a second that ‘Gimme More’ is the better song are simply living in delusion. It’s a modern-day pop masterpiece and the arrangement washes the latter out the water but keep convincing yourself otherwise. :chrissy_xtina_head_tilt_purse_sass: 

tumblr_n56g1uZrsw1svi3flo1_400.gif

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

Toxic is special because it represents Britney at the top of her game in the eyes of the GP. It's iconic for that same reason, and we value mainstream success to a certain extent. Ask any basic local normie what their favorite Brit song is and they will say Toxic exactly 94.687% of the time.

That said, any real fan should agree it's not her best song (by far) and it' very overplayed. Gimme more on the other hand takes a huge step back from the perfect polished pop product version of Britney and presents the darker, more gritty, no f-s given side of her narrative - which was a huge turn off for some people at the time. For others however (most real fans imo), it's the introduction of this darkness and mystery that actually makes Brit's story incredibly compelling and in a sense, elevates the rest of her discography.  

Britney herself has named Toxic one of her all time favorite songs. So claiming “real fans” should agree it’s not her best song makes no sense whatsoever. 
I mean you can prefer Gimme More all you want cause we all have different taste but your statement on “real fans” is something I don’t agree with at all. 

- -

I feel like fans in general should be able to love hitsingles. Singles being overplayed often result in fans not loving the song as much anymore but IMO they’re singles for a reason. But I guess it’s cool not to like them and call them overrated lol. 

• Love 1

Well, Toxic is much more known than Gimme more by all means - considered one of the best pop songs nobody I have seen doesn't know this song this song is known by younger GP. 

Iconic video please - diamond all over her body still copied washes Gimme More video by all means :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

Now memorable to fans, Gimme more - not aged a single day. 

In short, whatever these 2 songs touches becomes gold. 

9 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

toxic hands down. iconic production, lyrics, vocals, performances, music video, I could go on... I will not stand for any slander towards the track :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: one of the BEST pop songs ever released and britney's most innovative track released to DATE.

This 150% but leave it up to Knee stans to be some of the most tasteless people of all time. :ricackle_rihanna_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe:

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Peter Pan said:

Britney herself has named Toxic one of her all time favorite songs. So claiming “real fans” should agree it’s not her best song makes no sense whatsoever. 
I mean you can prefer Gimme More all you want cause we all have different taste but your statement on “real fans” is something I don’t agree with at all. 

- -

I feel like fans in general should be able to love hitsingles. Singles being overplayed often result in fans not loving the song as much anymore but IMO they’re singles for a reason. But I guess it’s cool not to like them and call them overrated lol. 

I see what you mean. I'm generally against real fan vs. fake fan type discussions so I suppose my word choice was pretty bad considering that's exactly what it sounds like I'm saying.

I guess what I meant is that Toxic is generally known (even with GP) as a quintessential gem in her legacy, it's basically perfect so it's kind of hard not to like it. The same cannot be said for many other great moments in her discography for various factors (i.e. changes in public opinion, a more messy/grittier vibe, etc) - even as these moments are generally underappreciated, fans that actually delve into her work know them well and hold them in high regard. Gimme more is an example of one of these undervalued moments imo. That's not to say that you can't be a "real fan" and love Toxic, it's just to say that many fans could point to other, less obvious songs because her discography is packed with highlights, and some inevitably rival Toxic musically. If anything, I'd say "real fans" would be hesitant to name any of her songs as "the best" since there's so much great stuff to chose from, whereas someone who just knows Baby, Slave, and Toxic would have a much easier time taking a stance.

Sorry for the rant, I don't even know if I'm making any sense or just digging myself a deeper hole lol.