Gimme More vs Toxic

?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

Toxic is special because it represents Britney at the top of her game in the eyes of the GP. It's iconic for that same reason, and we value mainstream success to a certain extent. Ask any basic local normie what their favorite Brit song is and they will say Toxic exactly 94.687% of the time.

That said, any real fan should agree it's not her best song (by far) and it' very overplayed. Gimme more on the other hand takes a huge step back from the perfect polished pop product version of Britney and presents the darker, more gritty, no f-s given side of her narrative - which was a huge turn off for some people at the time. For others however (most real fans imo), it's the introduction of this darkness and mystery that actually makes Brit's story incredibly compelling and in a sense, elevates the rest of her discography.  

🙌🏻 

I would say Toxic is more iconic/known among older audiences and 16+ young people, while Gimme More became really big these days among young teens and kids via TikTok (mostly girls), also GTA5 (mostly boys)

In terms of which song is better, that's really hard but I went with Toxic because of timeless violins, spy vibe and faster beat. 

And video for Toxic is better ofc

• Love 2

Toxic all the way down the board.

Gimme More is an amazing song, but the arrangement, instrumentation, production, vocals, and experimentation on Toxic are why it has stood the test of time and gone down as one of the best pop songs of all time.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

I see what you mean. I'm generally against real fan vs. fake fan type discussions so I suppose my word choice was pretty bad considering that's exactly what it sounds like I'm saying.

I guess what I meant is that Toxic is generally known (even with GP) as a quintessential gem in her legacy, it's basically perfect so it's kind of hard not to like it. The same cannot be said for many other great moments in her discography for various factors (i.e. changes in public opinion, a more messy/grittier vibe, etc) - even as these moments are generally underappreciated, fans that actually delve into her work know them well and hold them in high regard. Gimme more is an example of one of these undervalued moments imo. That's not to say that you can't be a "real fan" and love Toxic, it's just to say that many fans could point to other, less obvious songs because her discography is packed with highlights, and some inevitably rival Toxic musically. If anything, I'd say "real fans" would be hesitant to name any of her songs as "the best" since there's so much great stuff to chose from, whereas someone who just knows Baby, Slave, and Toxic would have a much easier time taking a stance.

Sorry for the rant, I don't even know if I'm making any sense or just digging myself a deeper hole lol.

Yeah, I agree with you that “real fans” also acknowledge the greatness of non popular or well known Britney songs. So I’m with you on that. The only thing I’m saying is that a song like Toxic, Baby or Oops can still be considered (one of the )the bests for a “real fan” as well. Despite its success and legendary status. But yeah, there’s so much great stuff to chose from! I totally agree 😉

• Like 3