It's not Just that Britney Shouldn't be in a Conservatorship, its that Cships are by themselves Abusive

Britney said herself 

"I truly believe this conservatorship is abusive, and that we can sit here all day and say oh, conservatorships are here to help people. But ma’am, there is a thousand conservatorships that are abusive as well."

"I shouldn’t be in a conservatorship if I can work and provide money and work for myself and pay other people — it makes no sense. The laws need to change. What state allows people to own another person’s money and account and threaten them and saying, “You can’t spend your money unless you do what we want you to do.” And I’m paying them"

The Free Britney movement has highlighted conservatorship abuse. Others, including disability rights activists have pointed out the abusive nature of cships.

Think, if Britney, an already wealthy white women legend can be subjected to such horrifying ordeals, what more to those out of the spotlight?

Bottomline, Disabled people (and those that are made out to be disabled) are treated horribly.

It would be hopeful if something would change regarding cship laws.

As of now, at least Britney's case is being known.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I've never understood how conservatorships are even a thing, like what evil monster even came with that concept and such loose specifications in the law. 

how many cases there are of people who actually need a conservatorship for their ill parents or whatever, and get denied, yet people like Britney can be imprisoned in one in a blink of an eye 

"I truly believe this conservatorship is abusive, and that we can sit here all day and say oh, conservatorships are here to help people. But ma’am, there is a thousand conservatorships that are abusive as well."

She knows it's a state case :snooptoya_jackson_snooping_looking_magnifying_glass_glasses_search:

Maybe it works for some case, there are people who can't manage their life properly, but this shouldn't be done by private coporation

• Like 1

I agree. If reforms are to be done, the law must respect and retain the most basic human rights of the conservatee. There should also be safeguards to protect the conservatee from potential emotional, mental and financial abuse.  As it stands, conservatorships appear to me like an unescapable trap. It's extremely disturbing.

But honestly, I think everyone will agree that Britney does not need to be in a conservatorship. She's human, she's allowed to make mistakes. Even if she has some form of mental illness, it doesn't justify the total control other people have over her life. It just irks me how much they gaslighted Britney to make her question her own rationality. I think that's why it took 13 years for her to finally have the strenght to speak up. 

• Like 1

Miosgyny is a huge part of what Britney is going through obviously, but I feel a lotta a people are missing the fact that this is an Ableism Issue .

We don't know fully the extent of Britney's mental health, and it has been obvious that she's been made to look like a certain way in the public, point is her being in a cship is bad, her beint brought to a Cship is Bad from the Onset, and lotta other people, Disabled people, are also being subjected to legalized abuse via Conservatorships.

Conservatorships are a problem, and laws need to change. Period.

• Like 2

They can be abusive but they are not always abusive. I totally get that elderly or aging people could be vulnerable to this type of abuse.

To offer some perspective: I have a sibling who is severely autistic, and both my mother and I are the legal conservators. In the event something happens, we will always have the legal documentation that we can make decisions for my brother. When my brother turned 18, he had a seizure and had to be taken to the hospital. The stupid ambulance company kept calling the house for him to pay some extra bill for the transport...my brother can't talk, at least not like we can. He can't take a phone call. They refused to speak to my mother. I forget how that sorted itself out (it was roughly 10 years ago now) but I know it was a giant pain to get all that squared away.

We had to bring my sibling to court (in California) to prove my brother is severely autistic when doing his conservatorship hearings. The judge and the investigators knew and understood he was disabled and should be placed under this order. We won't have any other issues, because my brother doesn't make money or anything like that. 

Sorry to get on a soapbox, just wanted to explain that some conservatorships really are for the safety of the people involved. In Britney's case, we all know this is conservatorship abuse...plain and simple.

• Like 1