Matches (The 5th Glory single)

Lonely2001

I was curious if we should consider Matches an official single and did a research. So Matches didn't get a digital or physical release like Swimming In The Stars but Slumber Party didn't too. But Slumber Party got a remix EP just like Mood Ring. So the first two links I found were these:

https://radiodate.it/radio-date/britney-spears-backstreet-boys-matches-221439-18-12-2020-radiodate/

https://www.earone.it/radio_date/search/artist/history/britney/

You can see on those links that Matches was sent to radios, and we know that it got some radio play. And then I thought well it's a radio only single like Til It's Gone was in France. Then I found this link:

https://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Britney+Spears+%26+Backstreet+Boys&titel=Matches&cat=s

On this link you can see that it states that Matches is an official single. I didn't see a cat number so I went to Slumber Party on the same page and it also didn't have a cat number so they are kinda the same way when we look at that. After that I was kinda sceptical but I searched the RCA Records page on Facebook and it describes Matches as a new SINGLE. Here is the link:

So yeah, I kinda consider it now as Glorys 5th official single but I'll be 100% sure if RCA releases official remixes like they did with Mood Ring.

What do you guys think? Is Matches Glorys 5th single?

PS I'll post similar topics abiut Unusual You and other quesstionable official singles. Love you all! ❤❤❤

Here is the official artwork:

5xEGC.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CenterOfTheRing98 said:

It was sent to radio like two weeks after it was first released on the vinyl and apparently most notably in Italy. 

That's true, but there are a lot of Britney songs that were sent to radios but were only just radio singles. Do you consider it an official single with the info that I found or do you not? 

Well I guess the lines of what can be described as an official Single and what a radio-only Single/promo single have gotten more blurred over the past 5 years.

Before Glory, every official single got a video treatment. But since mood ring that has been not the case. 

And it will continue to be so with our brinny.

So i would consider SP, MR, SITS, MATCHES all as official Singles now. I would not have done so, if these have been singles before 2016.

12 minutes ago, gagamariah87 said:

Well I guess the lines of what can be described as an official Single and what a radio-only Single/promo single have gotten more blurred over the past 5 years.

Before Glory, every official single got a video treatment. But since mood ring that has been not the case. 

And it will continue to be so with our brinny.

So i would consider SP, MR, SITS, MATCHES all as official Singles now. I would not have done so, if these have been singles before 2016.

Yeah, for Mood Ring and SITS I'm kinda sure that they are singles just without a video but for Matches I'm not. If only RCA releases some remixes I'll be 100% sure that it's an official single. 🙂

4 hours ago, Lonely2001 said:

That's true, but there are a lot of Britney songs that were sent to radios but were only just radio singles. Do you consider it an official single with the info that I found or do you not? 

I consider it an official single since (as someone else mentioned) the lines are a bit blurred these days. Other artists also put out singles but won’t always make a video for them. 

I can’t think of a mainstream artist putting out a regular track and having it get the hype (wether that’s induced from the label or not) that Matches has gotten.

BUT, this is a very interesting topic. There was a lot of confusion regarding Gaga’s 911 video, because at the time it was just a visual that she wanted to create and the song was not officially the single: It wasn’t until the label released remixes that it was official. 

25 minutes ago, Unusualyoufrench said:

Thanks for this post i was waiting for a post like it, yeah for me it is the 5th single Sony Music France clearly mentioned it on their official Instagram as you can see below. A remix EP would fix it as a single I also hope for a new cover with the desert photoshoot with the car crash and some hot temperatures waves in the background 🔥 Sony music France Instagram

I also hope! And since you are an Unusual You fan can you tell me if Unusual You is considered an official single in Australia and NZ. Is that cover from your profile pic legit or is it just a bootleg? I think I'll make a topic about it too. 🙂

21 minutes ago, Naes614 said:

That’s kind of tricky..I’m pretty old school and I always thought a single was official if it went for radio adds. So since I live in the US I won’t consider it a single because it never went for adds at pop radio. 

That's OK. Would you consider it an European official single? 🙂

5 minutes ago, CenterOfTheRing98 said:

I consider it an official single since (as someone else mentioned) the lines are a bit blurred these days. Other artists also put out singles but won’t always make a video for them. 

I can’t think of a mainstream artist putting out a regular track and having it get the hype (wether that’s induced from the label or not) that Matches has gotten.

BUT, this is a very interesting topic. There was a lot of confusion regarding Gaga’s 911 video, because at the time it was just a visual that she wanted to create and the song was not officially the single: It wasn’t until the label released remixes that it was official. 

You are so right, at the time only the video for 911 was released i only considered as a visual as John Wayne but when we got the remixes I considered it as a single. Same things happened with I don't search I find for Madonna considered as the 4th single of the album after the remixes were out. It seems like nowadays the singles are not always sent to radio for some singers

13 minutes ago, Lonely2001 said:

I also hope! And since you are an Unusual You fan can you tell me if Unusual You is considered an official single in Australia and NZ. Is that cover from your profile pic legit or is it just a bootleg? I think I'll make a topic about it too. 🙂

You're welcome i am fond of this song that's all, i found this pretty cover on the net it's just a fan made ,too Bad it wasn't an official single although NRJ radio anouced it in France it never got airplay. Maybe one day RCA will see the love and injustice this song got and will grace us with a remix EP like they did with mood ring, but I don't think this will hapen one day 😢 but I am waiting for ur UU post 😄

1 minute ago, Unusualyoufrench said:

You're welcome i am fond of this song that's all, i found this pretty cover on the net it's just a fan made ,too Bad it wasn't an official single although NRJ radio anouced it in France it never got airplay. Maybe one day RCA will see the love and injustice this song got and will grace us with a remix EP like they did with mood ring, but I don't think this will happen une day 😢 but I am waiting for ur UU post 😄

Thanks, the Unusual You single is so quesstionable. I think it'll be my next topic. After I finish all quesstionable singles I'll make a full list of all kinds of singles. 🙂

Idk but the way it's been pushed seems to me it's more of a promo/radio single than an official one. Same with SITS. I'm a bit skeptical over Mood Ring though as it did have the remix EP. Slumber Party did too and it also had the music video so it counts as an official single to me. Wikipedia lists SITS and Matches as official singles from Glory however.

5 minutes ago, Isla said:

Idk but the way it's been pushed seems to me it's more of a promo/radio single than an official one. Same with SITS. I'm a bit skeptical over Mood Ring though as it did have the remix EP. Slumber Party did too and it also had the music video so it counts as an official single to me. Wikipedia lists SITS and Matches as official singles from Glory however.

I mean I'm kinda sure for SITS and Mood Ring. Mood Ring has got remixes and it was sent to contemporary radio in Europe. SITS had a digital and a physical release. It had some radio play too so I consider it a single. I just want some remixes for Matches and it would be clear that it's an official single. Clumsy was a promotional and Matches got so much more promotion than that track so it's probably bigger than it. 

8 minutes ago, Lonely2001 said:

I mean I'm kinda sure for SITS and Mood Ring. Mood Ring has got remixes and it was sent to contemporary radio in Europe. SITS had a digital and a physical release. It had some radio play too so I consider it a single. I just want some remixes for Matches and it would be clear that it's an official single. Clumsy was a promotional and Matches got so much more promotion than that track so it's probably bigger than it. 

Yeah I guess you have a point. To me I've always thought it should have a music video to be an official single but there are a few exceptions where this hasn't happened (one I can think of right now is Gaga's Do What U Want but there WAS a video filmed for the song, but it got cancelled). It's very easy for non-single album tracks to get played on radio nowadays so I guess the lines have become more blurred in recent years. But yes, SITS did have the physical release (even though it only seems to be vinyl for now). Private Show, Clumsy and DYWCO were all promo singles/instant grat tracks.

8 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

So by this logic, Clumsy and DYWCO are singles too since they got a release before the album?  

Um no, Private Show, Clumsy, DYWCO were singles, but promotional. SITS got a digital and a physical release and some radio play. Mood Ring got official remixes and was sent to Contemporary Hit Radio in Europe. But for Matches it isn't clear. On australian charts page it is listed as an official single and RCA itself described it as a single so i don't know really.

13 minutes ago, Isla said:

Yeah I guess you have a point. To me I've always thought it should have a music video to be an official single but there are a few exceptions where this hasn't happened (one I can think of right now is Gaga's Do What U Want but there WAS a video filmed for the song, but it got cancelled). It's very easy for non-single album tracks to get played on radio nowadays so I guess the lines have become more blurred in recent years. But yes, SITS did have the physical release (even though it only seems to be vinyl for now). Private Show, Clumsy and DYWCO were all promo singles/instant grat tracks.

Well for the videos, I think that these singles are pushed by label itself because we know Brit doesn't want to work. I'm sure they would get a video if Brit wanted to work.

Archived