Was 'Blackout' too overproduced and one-dimensional?

DignifiedLove

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

Okay but to be honest, even i as a Blackout fan do acknowledge its production was quite messy and over the place. But that was the point and direction of the record. Britney has always been such a perfect and gussied-up star to the public eye so the expectations of her album quality were mad high as well. Thats why even though ...Baby One More Time, Britney, Oops!...I Did It Again and In The Zone are outdated albums (minus ITZ and probably OIDIA) by quality, they are amazingly produced records. Britney was trying to rebel and break apart the perfect Britney everyone knew, she wanted the album to be messy but something memorable and enticing in her discography. The messy production and in-cohesion is too literally rebel against the whole image and idea of Britney Spears. That is why Blackout is simply a masterpiece, it converted weird sounds and moaning's like I Got A Plan to make songs, it had very gritty production to go against her image, and is overall a sonically-difference from the rest of Britney's masterpiece. You just can not compare Blackout to OIDIA since there is totally no room for that :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

@Hooked-On-Knee, @GODNEY IS A QUEEN

I agree with you about the imperfections making it perfect and that that was probs what Britney and Danja were trying to acheive. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

1 minute ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I agree with you about the imperfections making it perfect and that that was probs what Britney and Danja were trying to acheive. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Exactly :orly_oh_britney_surprised_wow_excited: Thats the beauty of Blackout, it is so imperfect that it is perfect :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Ha mind :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Lets just lock this thread up and agree Britneys mind is off one of Albert Einstein and continue to bless our ears with Slayout :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

Exactly :orly_oh_britney_surprised_wow_excited: Thats the beauty of Blackout, it is so imperfect that it is perfect :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Ha mind :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Lets just lock this thread up and agree Britneys mind is off one of Albert Einstein and continue to bless our ears with Slayout :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Yeah and Oops!...I Did It Again is a perfect pop album wrapped up in a big bow, it would be ridiculous to compare the both of them. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing: :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

On 1/1/2021 at 9:27 AM, Justin Woodpond said:

Blackout is flawless sonically and artistically. The discarded demos, some of which could have made the album, are perfectly fine in their obscurity, and only add to the mystery, lore, and brilliance of the final product.

Remember, Britney executive produced Blackout, personally seeking out and handpicking those she wanted to work with, presumably also deciding on the final track list (and order). Even if she didn’t compose, write or produce songs that were meant to mirror her inner and public life, Blackout’s singular vision (or one dimensional-ness as you mention) is purposeful within the context of who Britney’s persona was back then....dark, primal, ***ual, erratic, and if you are to believe Rolling Stone’s infamous article “The Tragedy of Britney Spears an “animal” (according to Paris).

This vision is further elevated by the album’s overpowering (not overproduced) left field production, perfectly complementing its muse by also creating an erratic, dark and **** (for pop in 2006/7) soundscape. Blackout is a production led album for a reason.  Emulating the audacity of Madonna, Britney tried to bury her princess of pop southern girl next door persona once and for all, which had proven almost too hard to shake on In The Zone. She meant to create a new version of her self, even if it resulted in sounding like a distorted pop-cyborg, she succeeded.

In away, Blackout’s true brilliance lies in the fact that it could be considered the first hybrid visual album, with each and every song simultaneously destroying and expanding Britney’s referential hyperuniverse further and further, aurally and visually. As Britney’s over exposed and extremely documented public (and private) life payed out on TMZ et al, these feral anti-anthropomorphic “documentaries” fit almost too perfectly with the albums core narrative. Being young, free, and not giving a ****. Blackout is literally art imitating life, imitating art.

The fact that the album still sounds fresh and exciting after all these years is a testament to its greatness. Had it gone in too many directions, with too many different sounds and vibes, it would have turned out like Glory, a good album, but not nearly as cohesive, progressive or visionary. Which is why Britney (as exc. producer) may very well have personally chosen to leave her intimately self penned work “off the record”.

:britlol_britney_surprised_wow_oh_shocked_choatic: this is a flawless write up

On 1/1/2021 at 7:47 PM, Hooked-On-Knee said:

One track, wow. :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

Hun I don't mean to join the dogpile but u list media scrutiny as a theme on Oops! and track #2 of Blackout is POM. 

18 minutes ago, MyahJeanSpears said:

Why Should I Be Sad is the most skippable track on the album. :mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave:

You're so right about everything else you've ever said except this. 

Just now, lilhennythings said:

Hun I don't mean to join the dogpile but u list media scrutiny as a theme on Oops! and track #2 of Blackout is POM. 

You're so right about everything else you've ever said except this. 

Why Should I Be Sad can go to Circus. ;) Blur makes more sense as the closing track to Blackout.

15 hours ago, Justin Woodpond said:

"They " didn't cut off her lead vocal. "They" chosen not to use it because she wavers out of tune towards the end. It actually sounds better without. Britney executively produced this album. so she is included in the "they"

It sounds abrupt and it should been faded out and not cut off. Who edits a vocal mid word? And you know Britney didnt sit there listen to them mix and master every one of these songs before. Exec Producer is just the person who oversees and hires who works on the album. Usually the title is given to a person who wasnt involved at all.

Archived