Was 'Blackout' too overproduced and one-dimensional?

DignifiedLove

28 minutes ago, Deepheat01Deepheat01 said:

People like it because yes, while it was perfect for 2007 it's a bigger story than just that.  It's the only album that she did her way and her way only.  It's pure Britney, *****!  It absolutely slayed and she did that with no pushing, guiding, encouraging or forcing particular tracks or a sound on her.  Her most personal album, which isn't said enough.

Wink Tea GIF by Dolly Parton

Ah yes because Britney's original vision of having the album be one to reflect where she came from and show off her voice totally was released as Blackout. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was confused when I first listened to Blackout.  I was really hoping for more ballads like Someday, Shadow and Everytime.  I didn't think it sounded like her on Radar.  The Hot As Ice demo that leaked before the album had me SHOOK. Honestly, the demos leaking made me like the album more because the final product was better.  It still sucks that State Of Grace wasn't track 13 

56 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

That is In The Zone, we been knew. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

I didn't know songs about partying are more personal than songs about trying to move on from the hurt of a lover while also apologizing to them for the hurt they caused them. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

In The Zone's songs about partying and dancing are sophisticated, too. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Er... So an artist personally expressing what they personally want and feel their creative output to be and not bowing to any non-personal influences isn't personal?  OK, Jan.    Everytime is indeed probably her most personal track but that doesn't mean the rest of In The Zone isn't mostly the same as Blackout in content.   Everytime's position on the track listing is the perfect prelude to all the personal drama in Britney's life and the pressures that led to the iconic 'it' s Britney, *****... ' which introduced to us the last moments of a free Britney, a girl parting and rebelling, hooking up and casting off the image of Britney in the past.   The ending of the Everytime video foreshadowed it and her most personal song was the catalyst for the album that followed. 

bea arthur tea GIF

3 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Ah yes because Britney's original vision of having the album be one to reflect where she came from and show off her voice totally was released as Blackout. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Yeah I suppose.  Its not like she had anything going on in her life which might have changed up how she wanted to express herself or anything... 

I mean after so much unwanted and disgusting attention and intrusion in her personal life already, I'm sure she was just desperate to reward us all by letting her most personal thoughts available freely to buy and fulfil the grotesque thirst.   She even signs off on Blackout with a song telling us "well what were you expecting?  I'm not going to be sad like you all want me to be and imma dance and **** the pain away having a great time and keep having all you mutha******* something to talk about".  Her MIND. 

Sassy Meme GIF

12 minutes ago, Deepheat01Deepheat01 said:

Er... So an artist personally expressing what they personally want and feel their creative output to be and not bowing to any non-personal influences isn't personal?  OK, Jan.    Everytime is indeed probably her most personal track but that doesn't mean the rest of I'm The Zone isn't mostly the same as Blackout in content.   Everytime's position on the track listing is the perfect prelude to all the personal drama in Britney's life and the pressures that led to the iconic 'it' s Britney, *****... ' which introduced to us the last moments of a free Britney, a girl parting and rebelling, hooking up and casting off the image of Britney in the past.   The ending of the Everytime video foreshadowed it and her most personal song was the catalyst for the album that followed. 

bea arthur tea GIF

Wait, I'll admit we're both wrong. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Oops!...I Did It Again is probably her most personal album. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Think about it.... Stronger, Don't Go Knockin' On My Door, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Lucky, Where Are You Now, What U See (Is What U Get), Girl In The Mirror.... That's nearly 1/2 of the album. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

29 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Oops!...I Did It Again IS her own version of Ray of Light but it's masqueraded behind all the Rock 'N' Roll chord progressions, teen-pop lyrics and R&B-fusion, lies songs about vulnerability and mental health. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

****!! You reminded me an old user that constantly posted about Britney having her own 'Ray of Light' ... It was so obsessed with that topic

19 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I was paraphrasing a quote from 2006. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

I'm sorry but we been knew that songs like Let Go, Dramatic, Hooked On, Baby Boy, >>>>>

And maybe we should respect her decision not to publicly release the sadder, emotional material and deliver a '**** you' to a world turning against her.  They want more?   Well we'll give them more.  You want to follow me around 24/7 well here it is... here's the side you never get to see that goes all out against her team tried to manage her image as previously, and at the time it was a reflection of the real person underneath the mask.

I mean, this might be a shock to you but I don't think Gimme More is just a simple tail of **** dropping in da club and boy meets girl, etc.  There's so many reasons that song was PERFECT as the opener to Blackout if you can read between the lines.

hungry music video GIF

57 minutes ago, MoonLight28 said:

You reminded me an old user that constantly posted about Britney having her own 'Ray of Light' ... It was so obsessed with that topic

Huh? How is one comment obsessed with it, I don't even care for Ray of Light that much (although i respect it) so?? The only reasons I have ever posted about Ray of Light and Britney were two times and BOTH of those times was because it was brought up before me. Ironic, how you sent this to me but not the comment I was replying to which was much more interested in Britney one day having her own Ray of Light album. :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the:

35 minutes ago, Deepheat01Deepheat01 said:

And maybe we should respect her decision not to publicly release the sadder, emotional material and deliver a '**** you' to a world turning against her.  They want more?   Well we'll give them more.  You want to follow me around 24/7 well here it is... here's the side you never get to see that goes all out against her team tried to manage her image as previously, and at the time it was a reflection of the real person underneath the mask.

We literally have no idea how the vision of Blackout came to fruition. :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

That song wasn't written by her, guess she allegedly had telepathic songwriters? :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:

43 minutes ago, Deepheat01Deepheat01 said:

Also, I have my right to think it is her 6th best album and explain why. Just like you have your right to defend the album, but when you defend it, will you all please stop acting like I've committed an abominable sin. :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

1 hour ago, MoonLight28 said:

****!! You reminded me an old user that constantly posted about Britney having her own 'Ray of Light' ... It was so obsessed with that topic

Also just because I'm hate the Blackout album doesn't mean I'm obsessed with Ray of Light, I can assume that me disliking Blackout has more to do with your response than Ray of Light. :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

2 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

That is In The Zone, we been knew. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

I didn't know songs about partying are more personal than songs about trying to move on from the hurt of a lover while also apologizing to them for the hurt they caused them. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

In The Zone's songs about partying and dancing are sophisticated, too. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Tell me what part of “Why Should I Be Sad” is about partying?

Go listen to the album again 

amy sedaris relax GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

3 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Oops!...I Did It Again IS her own version of Ray of Light but it's masqueraded behind all the Rock 'N' Roll chord progressions, teen-pop lyrics and R&B-fusion, lies songs about vulnerability and mental health. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

oops i did it is a cute girl but shes cute...next to gorgeous (blackout).

i like oops as an album however it is 10x less mature sounding than blackout. it also hasnt aged nearly as well and it didnt impact the entire SOUND of pop music like blackout did. it got better reviews at the time (which is what metacritic shows) however many publications and critics have gone back to blackout and changed their original stance. as rolling stone so perfectly said, "When she dropped Blackout in 2007, the music industry scoffed, but then proceeded to spend the next few years imitating it to death..."

5 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Critics praise Oops!...I Did It Again as her best album, Metacritic don't lie. :howiroll_beyonce_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_white_shirt_hands:

What even is special about Blackout? No versatility, sounds exactly like 2006's pop music minus R&B influences during that time, lyricism is average, the only thing it has going for it is that it's cohesive. Oops!...I Did It Again is cleverly though-out with call backs to tracks on the album, references to her debut album, cohesive, versatile, catchy lyrics, and the perfect fusion of R&B, Rock 'N' Roll, and Pop. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Much like film, music critics’ perspectives can change over time, for better or worse, long after an album has been released. Distance can allow for a reassessment and a change of heart. Metacritic is mostly of it’s time, which doesn’t take into account critic’s opinions changing and evolving later on.

Blackout has only gained more and more critical praise and adulation with time, often appearing on ‘year end’ and ‘decade end’ music critics’ best albums lists (see below). It is also her ONLY album to be inducted into the prestigious Rock n Roll Hall of fame’s music library as culturally and artistically relevant. Oops has not received similar critical reevaluation. Therefore, we can safely say that Blackout is more critically acclaimed than Oops in 2021.

E55C82E1-7E86-41E5-83F1-36C70BD37A36.jpe

“sounds exactly like 2006's pop music”  Blackout doesn’t sound similar to any album from 2006 (bar Timberlake’s FSLS, which clearly was an inspiration, as it was produced by Danja’s mentor Timberland). And nothing mainstream pop oriented came close to it sonically or artistically until Gaga’s The Fame in Aug 2008. Production wise that is.

To say that Opps is Britney’s Ray of Light, is a reach. Britney put out opps at 19, at that age you presumably don’t know much about anything, let alone who you are; you are blindly living. ROL is about finally reaching an inner maturity, and gaining an understanding about life and love, where by one can see that without the dark there would be no light. Something Britney didn’t realise until later in life (she mentions someone similar to this at the end of her documentary For The Record).

Archived