Was 'Blackout' too overproduced and one-dimensional?

DignifiedLove

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, mannequin19 said:

oops i did it is a cute girl but shes cute...next to gorgeous (blackout).

i like oops as an album however it is 10x less mature sounding than blackout. it also hasnt aged nearly as well and it didnt impact the entire SOUND of pop music like blackout did. it got better reviews at the time (which is what metacritic shows) however many publications and critics have gone back to blackout and changed their original stance. as rolling stone so perfectly said, "When she dropped Blackout in 2007, the music industry scoffed, but then proceeded to spend the next few years imitating it to death..."

It's not mature sounding, yet it dives into mature topics like mental health, self-love, and mental health. You just have to listen to the lyrics. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Okay, and, it still has better reviews? You keep bringing up these changed opinions but somehow the decade of changed opinions didn't make Blackout become more critically acclaimed over Oops!...

:shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

9 minutes ago, Justin Woodpond said:

To say that Opps is Britney’s Ray of Light, is to not understand anything about the latter album. Britney put out opps at 19, at that age you don’t have a clue about anything, let alone who you are, you are blindly living. ROL is about finally reaching maturity, and gaining an understanding about life and love, where by you can see that without the dark there would be no light. Something Britney didn’t realise until after 2008 (she mentions someone similar to this at the end of For The Record).

I meant "Ray Of Light" as in the topic of it not just being dance music with only a bit of substance. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

10 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I meant "Ray Of Light" as in the topic of it not just being dance music with only a bit of substance. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

How does Opps and Blackout come into it then? Neither are “dance” records in the purest sense.  Either is ROL for that matter.
Substance? Try subtext! Britney doesn’t write her own lyrics so we could be debating for days about what you mean exactly. 
If you prefer pure pop from the early 00’s, and Blackouk is not your taste, then just say that. Don’t try and justify it with baseless messy claims.  
It’s ok to have an opinion and stand by it. But don’t ridicule other’s opinions because you just don’t like the “thing” they do.

1 minute ago, Justin Woodpond said:

How does Opps and Blackout come into it then? Neither are dance records. Substance? Try subtext! Britney doesn’t write her own lyrics so we could be debating for days about what you mean exactly. 
If you prefer pure pop from the 00’s, and Blackouk is not your taste, then just say that. Don’t try and justify it with baseless messy claims. It’s ok to have an opinion and stand by it. But don’t ridicule another’s opinion because you just don’t like the thing they do.

dance-pop is what I meant. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

I'm never ridiculed your opinion on this thread, though... talk about "baseless messy claims". I just have my own and state my own opinion on Blackout.  :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

1 minute ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

dance-pop is what I meant. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

I'm never ridiculed your opinion on this thread, though... talk about "baseless messy claims". I just have my own and state my own opinion on Blackout.  :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

It wasn’t your opinion I was referring to. Just the baseless messy facts you claimed. About Blackout and Opps. Your opinion is yours. Facts are not.

1 minute ago, Justin Woodpond said:

That’s Opps is more critically acclaimed over Blackout? That’s Blsckout sounded like pop music in 2006? Please! Let’s not get Trumpy 

Oops!... is more critically acclaimed than Blackout, though. That's literally a fact, if it bothers you so much, you don't need to care about it. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Me and you have a very different idea of 2006 pop music, based off OPINIONS. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Not you comparing me to Trump because of an album. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

6 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Oops!... is more critically acclaimed than Blackout, though. That's literally a fact, if it bothers you so much, you don't need to care about it. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Me and you have a very different idea of 2006 pop music, based off OPINIONS. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Not you comparing me to Trump because of an album. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

You really are being delusional. Like many others who tried to reason with you I’ll just leave it at that. 

p.s you might want to learn how to read in 2021

dead family guy GIF

Just now, Justin Woodpond said:

You really are delusional. Like many others who tried to reason with you I’ll just leave it al at that. 

dead family guy GIF

How many times do you want me to explain. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

I am not delusional for saying a fact, Oops!...I Did It Again has a metacritc of 72, which is higher than Blackout, PLEASE tell me how it is delusional to claim Oops!... is more critically acclaimed based upon this. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:'

Anyways I'll just leave it at this:

10 minutes ago, Justin Woodpond said:

Your opinion is yours. Facts are not.

1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

It's not mature sounding, yet it dives into mature topics like mental health, self-love, and mental health. You just have to listen to the lyrics. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Okay, and, it still has better reviews? You keep bringing up these changed opinions but somehow the decade of changed opinions didn't make Blackout become more critically acclaimed over Oops!...

we cant know if it did or didnt because metacritic hasnt updated to account for these new reviews. also, it is a stretch to say oops deals with topics like mental health...because it is barely surface level.  

3 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

We literally have no idea how the vision of Blackout came to fruition. :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

That song wasn't written by her, guess she allegedly had telepathic songwriters? :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:

Eh?   You do realise producers and writers create tracks very much with a certain artist in mind, and often from conversations with them to get a vibe or message they want to express.  The only way Why Should I Be Sad could be any more personal is if it literally namechecked Kevin ddd

3 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Also, I have my right to think it is her 6th best album and explain why. Just like you have your right to defend the album, but when you defend it, will you all please stop acting like I've committed an abominable sin. :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

You OP with a claim that you know a lot of people disagree with so don't come at me when all I've been doing is debating with you and backing my argument with decent reasoning.   Seems like you ran out of counter arguments and now you want to make out you're being attacked?

1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

One track, wow. :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

And your other picks other than Everytime on In The Zone that scream Personalney are...?

17 minutes ago, mannequin19 said:

we cant know if it did or didnt because metacritic hasnt updated to account for these new reviews. also, it is a stretch to say oops deals with topics like mental health...because it is barely surface level.  

Lucky and Girl in The Mirror exist. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

7/16 of the album delves into topics beyond love, and deal with standing up for yourself, media scrutiny, mental health, etc so....

8 minutes ago, Deepheat01Deepheat01 said:

Eh?   You do realise producers and writers create tracks very much with a certain artist in mind, and often from conversations with them to get a vibe or message they want to express.  The only way Why Should I Be Sad could be any more personal is if it literally namechecked Kevin ddd

You OP with a claim that you know a lot of people disagree with so don't come at me when all I've been doing is debating with you and backing my argument with decent reasoning.   Seems like you ran out of counter arguments and now you want to make out you're being attacked?

And your other picks other than Everytime on In The Zone that scream Personalney are...?

I was joking, though. Why Should I be Sad is the best song on the album :kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

I wasn't taking to you, though? I was debating with a completely different user who refused to accept the fact that Oops!...I Did It Again was more critically acclaimed and also called me "delusional". :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Shadow! Why does everyone act like that song doesn't exist. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

1 minute ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Lucky and Girl in The Mirror exist. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

7/16 of the album delves into topics beyond love, and deal with standing up for yourself, mental health, etc so....

none of which she wrote herself or had any input in, unlike blackout. why should i be sad and piece of me are 10x more personal and provide greater insight into how she felt and who she is. they were writtend specifically for and about her and she picked them for a reason. oops is a cute album however if the songs were given to jessica simpson or whoever else, it would still be the same level of personal which is 0

Archived