Demi Lovato defends Taylor Swift regarding politics

• Leader

Demi Lovato came to Taylor Swift's defense regarding Tay finally taking a public political stance.

Speaking to CNN, Demi said:

"You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. You can list Taylor Swift as a perfect example of that exact saying. For years she got trashed because she wasn't taking a stance and wasn't standing up for these rights and she kind of took a back seat and now she's become very political and there are people that are unhappy with that too," she said. "It's just, like, you have to live what feels authentic to you. To me, that's using my platform to speak out about the things that I see that are wrong."

You may recall Demi was critical of Taylor in the past for keeping silent regarding politics. 

"At least I speak up about s**t that's uncomfortable to talk about rather than trying to be politically correct 24/7," she said in old (now-deleted) Tweets. 

She also told Glamour in 2016 of Swift: "I think that having a song and a video about tearing Katy Perry down, that's not women's empowerment. We all do things that aren't, but I have to ask myself, 'Am I content with calling myself a feminist?' Yes, because I speak out."

We love her again :peasants_taylor_swift_walking_away_bye_goodbye:

Thoughts?

Related:

demi-tay.jpg.1d003fe810d01470a9beccecf7ded575.jpg

My thing is, don’t brand yourself a feminist if you don’t do the work. I have an immense amount of respect for women like Lena Dunham...or Beyoncé, who make amazing political statements through their work.

Throwback. :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw: She's literally one of the people who used to "damn" Tay for not speaking up, so this comes off very hypocritical, but I'm glad to see she's changed her mind on the matter. :plzexplain_britney_karaoke_carpool_confused_oh_okay_hmm_nod_eyebrows_raised:

• Like 4

Demi, you need to calm down! Madonna did it with the american life song and just got banned from the radiostations in the us, Pink released Dear Mr. president only in europe, because she knew, she can't get away with it. It's the same old problem, but your career is not over, but you have to consider there is often not just 1 opinion out there in politics. 

That's all 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.