Selena Gomez reveals she's bipolar

• Leader

Selena Gomez appeared on Miley Cyrus' Instagram show Bright Minded.

In her chat with Miley, Selena revealed she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. 

This is a huge admission and I'm super proud of her, because there's a huge stigma around mental health. I personally believe there's real power and strength in verbalizing something like this, because there tends to be a lot of shame attached to a diagnosis like this. Speaking about it out loud, on a platform where millions of people will see it, is profound. Shame cannot survive when it the stigma is spoken about in such a way. 

Everyone give this video a play. I also would LOVE to hear what you think about this in the comments. 

selena-gomez-bipolar.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 4

I feel for her and Demi. I really like Selena as a person and as she matures she continues to blossom into a flower that we haven't seen before, but is it me or...does she have everything (health wise) wrong with her? I feel bad for asking, but damn. I mean I have health issues too. I am asking because I wonder when will people (stars) like her or Demi will start asking themselves if fame is worth it. 

• Like 3

Jordan you asked for our opinions so don't come for me: at this point I feel like she's a hypochondriac. She needs to stop looking at herself and start doing some kind of manual work, and for others. I'm not saying that whatever she's feeling isn't real, but I swear rich people invent diseases to make sense of all the drama in their lives... which I'm pretty sure musn't be too different from ours. So take a vacation and deal with it, Selena.

• Like 8

I really feel for her , especially as someone who's dealt with many health issues lately and I am not a celebrity and can't even afford an health insurance at this low point in my life unfortunately, so yeah , for them of course it's easier but it also shows us that fame and money is not everything Even if they're life is easier than ours .....:kyliecry:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Winter _90 said:

I forgot Kanye West, who also has a diagnosed bipolar and does not have a conservatorship for this disease either.

Millions of people live with bipolar disorder managed and not. The conservatorship has always been about money. If Britney Spears wasn’t a multimillionaire she wouldn’t have EVER been placed under one. 

• Like 3

I work in mental health and my true thoughts on bipolar disorder in particular is it shouldn't be diagnosed before the age of like, 30....

BP is a pattern of mania and depressive episodes. And tbh, I feel like when you are a teenager / young adult you simply haven't lived long enough to establish a pattern. There are so many life circumstances when you are young that are unstable; dating, forging your own identity, career paths, solidifying family and friend relationships....it honestly breaks my heart when I see kids as young as like, 16 being diagnosed with bipolar. like what!? they're not 'unstable'  or 'unwell'....they're trying to grow up in a complex, challenging world. 

I honestly think rich people may be vulnerable to psychiatric diagnoses from doctors who want the $$$$$$ of the medications and appointments that come along with that. I also believe some people search for a mental health diagnoses or label when they need to just accept that some behaviours they do are healthy, and some are not so healthy. Every phase of your life does not need an analysis. 

Obviously there are people who are truly bipolar, truly ADHD, truly have anxiety, truly have BPD....I would never discount psychiatry....but....yeah. That's what I think. 

• Love 1
  • Like 5

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.