What were some major career blunders made by your favorite singers?

Jordan Miller

• Leader

I can think of a couple

1.) Beyonce not making Lemonade available on all streaming services. It actually pissed most people off versus inspiring them to get Tidal.

2.) Taylor Swift releasing ME! in general. I get that she was trying to make a stark contrast from Reputation, but it killed her momentum. 

3.) Britney releasing Britney Jean. It's unlistenable to me because I know it's not her singing on most of it.  

4.) Justin Timberlake shifting away from the 20/20 Experience sound and opting for some weird 808 x country twang with Man of the Woods. 20/20 is amazing, so MOTW left me disappointed to say the least. 

5.) Katy Perry chopping her hair off. Totally get it - her hair, her choice. But the GP wasn't here for it and I feel like she hasn't recovered since that image makeover. 

Do you have any that come to mind?

career-blunders.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britney: not releasing anymore singles from Glory after Slumber Party, not releasing the original Gimme More, Perfume and Make Me videos (although at the same time the released Make Me video at least kinda fit the song and its meaning), not really promoting some of her more recent album releases 

Gaga: not releasing a video for Do What U Want (I can understand she did not want to put the original out, but she could have easily filmed another one for the Xtina remix or something), not releasing anymore singles from ARTPOP after GUY, not releasing Diamond Heart as a single from Joanne

Girls Aloud: announcing their split on Twitter... and I’m not sure if it got a proper release in the end, but ending their career on Beautiful Cause You Love Me.

Xtina: This is more so about her team but Your Body should’ve been promoted WAYYYY more than it was. Maybe it was and I’m just forgetting but that song is so slept on. It had the potential to be an iconic 2010’s song (it is in my eyes :tifftear:). Classic Max Martin hit. 

Nelly Furtado: I know it’s good to move on but had she continued working with Timbaland, imagine how many more bops she could’ve had. I think she made a mistake when he stopped working with her.  JT should’ve kept working with him and Pharrell as well for Man Of The Woods.

MJ: Tbh there are too many to list...but the major ones being he should’ve never did the documentary with Martin Bashir and he should’ve never associated with Gavin and his family. :tiffsniffle:

Britney - releasing radar as a circus single (that still bugs me damn...), not releasing the original perfume video, Britney jeans production, not enough singles from glory plus I was also not here for the tinashe feature 

Tay swift - I agree with OP re: me..

Lady Gaga - perfect illusion as lead single of Joanne.....wouldnt have been my first choice...

Selena - I feel like 'bad liar' 'it aint me' 'back to you' etc etc etc all would've been amazing songs on her album. I wish she had done a monster 20 track album if thats what it would've taken to get all those tracks onto Rare. I am not a fan of the throw away singles and those are amazing songs so I wish they were integrated onto her album. just sayin. 

• Leader
2 hours ago, Isla said:

Britney: not releasing anymore singles from Glory after Slumber Party, not releasing the original Gimme More, Perfume and Make Me videos (although at the same time the released Make Me video at least kinda fit the song and its meaning), not really promoting some of her more recent album releases 

Gaga: not releasing a video for Do What U Want (I can understand she did not want to put the original out, but she could have easily filmed another one for the Xtina remix or something), not releasing anymore singles from ARTPOP after GUY, not releasing Diamond Heart as a single from Joanne

Girls Aloud: announcing their split on Twitter... and I’m not sure if it got a proper release in the end, but ending their career on Beautiful Cause You Love Me.

Omg. I actually wrote a Gaga DWUW blunder in my OP. Her taking Do What U Want with R Kelly off streaming services was no bueno. It was a bop. The Xtina one isn't the same.

I took it off my list cause I didn't want to get backlash :evilpatrick:

7 minutes ago, JordanMiller said:

Omg. I actually wrote a Gaga DWUW blunder in my OP. Her taking Do What U Want with R Kelly off streaming services was no bueno. It was a bop. The Xtina one isn't the same.

Why would you get backlash for suggesting she should continue to promote a song she made with a ******? In that same vein Ke$ha’s career definitely blundered when she stopped working with Dr. Luke... shoulda included that too. 

2 hours ago, Brunetteknee said:

Nelly Furtado: I know it’s good to move on but had she continued working with Timbaland, imagine how many more bops she could’ve had. I think she made a mistake when he stopped working with her. 

They had a falling out. Nelly and Timbaland. It was a misunderstanding and they've since patched things up. It was something about a wedding. I forgot which onr of them didn't attend the other person's wedding but it was about that. Artist A didn't attend Artist B's wedding because Artist A was on tour or something and Artist B's wedding was like on another country or something.

Britney: never releasing "Strangest Love", one of my all time favorite of hers. Releasing Britney Jean. Should've released Original Doll as a mixtape, as a f... you to her record label 💪🏽 Never releasing "Mannequin" as a single with a killer video.

J.Lo: Not releasing "Louboutins" music video

Janet: Should've been more open and not shy about Super Bowl incident, if it was an accident stand behind it and come through even more aggressive and show the world what hypocrites they are. All having *** but nobody is openly talking about it. Pathetic.

Danity Kane: not releasing an album in 2019 while touring and with all the buzz around their reunion...

These are just a few 😂I could write a novel on this topic 🤷🏽‍♂️

Lily Allen: taking 4 years to release another record and being really annoying online when it comes to politics and ****. Last album sold only 15k. If she wants to use her platform in that way, good for her, but I can't deny that her antics have hurt her career quite a bit. :heresthetea: Same can be said about Halsey and Demi Lovato. I'm not a fan of either of them, but sometimes they're being so ******* annoying online. Demi Lovato always inserts herself into drama that she should've never been part of. :liar:

Nelly Furtado: releasing a Spanish album after the HUGE success of "Loose". Then taking another 3 years to finally release an English album. If that hadn't destroyed her career completely, then taking another 5 years for another album definitely did. :rip:

9 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

I can think of a couple

1.) Beyonce not making Lemonade available on all streaming services. It actually pissed most people off versus inspiring them to get Tidal.

2.) Taylor Swift releasing ME! in general. I get that she was trying to make a stark contrast from Reputation, but it killed her momentum. 

3.) Britney releasing Britney Jean. It's unlistenable to me because I know it's not her singing on most of it.  

4.) Justin Timberlake shifting away from the 20/20 Experience sound and opting for some weird 808 x country twang with Man of the Woods. 20/20 is amazing, so MOTW left me disappointed to say the least. 

5.) Katy Perry chopping her hair off. Totally get it - her hair, her choice. But the GP wasn't here for it and I feel like she hasn't recovered since that image makeover. 

Do you have any that come to mind?

career-blunders.jpg

Glad to know I'm not the only one on here who has Katy as a favorite beside Britney :inbed:

6 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

No I love DWUW, but I can understand why she took it off streaming. But I think she could have replaced it with the Xtina version on the album, it feels incomplete without the song. 

8 hours ago, MX3 said:

Britney - releasing radar as a circus single (that still bugs me damn...), not releasing the original perfume video, Britney jeans production, not enough singles from glory plus I was also not here for the tinashe feature 

Selena - I feel like 'bad liar' 'it aint me' 'back to you' etc etc etc all would've been amazing songs on her album. I wish she had done a monster 20 track album if thats what it would've taken to get all those tracks onto Rare. I am not a fan of the throw away singles and those are amazing songs so I wish they were integrated onto her album. just sayin. 

I was gonna put Radar being released from Circus at first, but there was a contractual obligation to release it as a single. I would have preferred Britney to release it during the Blackout era too, but her health was more important at the time.

As for Selena, all of those songs were included on the Japanese and Target (?) editions of Rare.

2 hours ago, IgorMarleyBasic said:

J.Lo: Not releasing "Louboutins" music video

I love Louboutins!!! ❤ But you're wrong if you think not releasing an MV for the song is a career blunder. They never got to shoot a music video despite that being the plan as it underperformed despite numerous tv performances. It wouldn't be smart to continue promoting and wasting money on a song that isn't connecting with the general public. And that also led to her leaving Epic Records and moved to Island Records.

2 hours ago, IgorMarleyBasic said:

Janet: Should've been more open and not shy about Super Bowl incident, if it was an accident stand behind it and come through even more aggressive and show the world what hypocrites they are. All having *** but nobody is openly talking about it. Pathetic.

What? She did exactly that. What are you talking about. She came harder and became more open. Where were you? Following her Superbowl live performance, she released Damita Jo which is one of her most underrated and ******/racy albums. And this started a trend of Janet releasing singles that are more leaning towards breathy **** uptempo songs like All Nite (Don't Stop) and So Excited. Her albums also went into that ratchet but tasty kind of **** sound. She released 20Y.O. although also panned by critics (but still suffering from the Superbowl backlash), it was nominated for a Grammy and was still better than most R&B albums at the time. How much harder and open do you want her to be at the time? Years after she came out with Discipline. She only ever became soft on Unbreakable:ehum:

@ILikeChillinWithYou *****, I like Katy too! :riri:

1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

I love Louboutins!!! ❤ But you're wrong if you think not releasing an MV for the song is a career blunder. They never got to shoot a music video despite that being the plan as it underperformed despite numerous tv performances. It wouldn't be smart to continue promoting and wasting money on a song that isn't connecting with the general public. And that also led to her leaving Epic Records and moved to Island Records.

What? She did exactly that. What are you talking about. She came harder and became more open. Where were you? Following her Superbowl live performance, she released Damita Jo which is one of her most underrated and ******/racy albums. And this started a trend of Janet releasing singles that are more leaning towards breathy **** uptempo songs like All Nite (Don't Stop) and So Excited. Her albums also went into that ratchet but tasty kind of **** sound. She released 20Y.O. although also panned by critics (but still suffering from the Superbowl backlash), it was nominated for a Grammy and was still better than most R&B albums at the time. How much harder and open do you want her to be at the time? Years after she came out with Discipline. She only ever became soft on Unbreakable:ehum:

@ILikeChillinWithYou *****, I like Katy too! :riri:

Ok, but we can agree to disagree 😂

I read that they actually did film the music video but never got released, true, possibly due to the fact that it didn't resonate how they expected it. But it would've been a real treat for fans and maybe the MV would've saved it.

Janet...I don't really think she came through so hard. I LOVE Janet tremendously and even started dancing because of her but everything played out in a weird way in my eyes. 

I have to remind you that I am European and we view sexuality a bit different, we wouldn't be so sensitive towards the Superbowl "mistake", at least I hope we wouldn't. 

Damita Jo was great and racy but somehow I expected her to address everything more clearly. Thanks for your input but as I said, we can agree to disagree. 

Btw. loved your detailed input ❤️

^ Of course. All love. You already had me at Louboutins, boo. ❤

Okay, sooo basically what you're saying iiisss, she's not hoe-ing it up more for you? Like all of that is still not **** enough and racy enough? Weeeelll, I can agree with you on that. However I do think if it wasn't 10 times harder than your average hoe album at the time, it was at the very least 5 times harder. And that's still something. That's why i think she did go hard. And i'm not easily shocked/outraged by hoe-ness because i'm a **** myself. :bcutelaugh:

I think she didn't want to address the Superbowl thing on her songs as she just wanted to put it all behind her. And cause Americans (not just the execs and producers) turned their back on her too so maybe she thought they wouldn't care so she just pretended like it didn't happen. However, I think it would be good publicity to have a Superbowl song on the album as that would definitely attract attention, or maybe not. 

@IgorMarleyBasic

1 minute ago, Roxxy said:

^ Of course. All love. You already had me at Louboutins, boo. ❤

Okay, sooo basically what you're saying iiisss, she's not hoe-ing it up more for you? Like all of that is still not **** enough and racy enough? Weeeelll, I can agree with you on that. However I do think if it wasn't 10 times harder than your average hoe album at the time, it was at the very least 5 times harder. And that's still something. That's why i think she did go hard. And i'm not easily shocked/outraged by hoe-ness because i'm a **** myself. :bcutelaugh:

I think she didn't want to address the Superbowl thing on her songs as she just wanted to put it all behind her. And cause Americans (not just the execs and producers) turned their back on her too. However, I think it would be good publicity to have a Superbowl song on the album as that would definitely attract attention, or maybe not. 

@IgorMarleyBasic

AGREE in regards to everything! ❤️ 

Spice Girls - Geri Halliwell leaving before their third album was completed and released so that they could reunite and do their own things along the way.  Mel B not releasing a good solo album and attempting RnB when she didn't have the vocals for that genre. 

Britney Spears - her early albums deserved more singles.  Also, should have recorded 2 more albums before she became oversexualized. 

Jessica Simpson - her uptempos needed more work -she had great ballads. 

Shania Twain - She needs another album with Mutt Lange even though they are divorced lol

13 hours ago, MX3 said:

Tay swift - I agree with OP re: me..

Lady Gaga - perfect illusion as lead single of Joanne.....wouldnt have been my first choice...

The Target edition has all those songs on Rare. It has 18 songs in total.

1. Britney releasing Britney Jean- Honestly Femme Fatale and Scream And Shout were a huge success and Britney was really becoming a 2010’s Queen. Everything about this album from the generic overproduced songs to the boring Perfume video to the Alien no autotune leak made Britney a joke to the GP. 

2. The Glory era. Honestly, Glory is one of Brit’s best albums, it could have been huge! Not releasing Make Me after the BBMAs was a huge mistake, giving Make Me an awful video was a huge mistake, the album cover was a huge mistake, Mood Ring as a Japanese bonus track was a huge mistake, no promotion for Slumber Party was a huge mistake, no more singles was a huge mistake. 

3. Gaga not releasing ARTPOP act 2, not releasing John Wayne as a single, not releasing Heavy Metal Lover as a single and not including Brooklyn Nights, TEA or I Wanna Be With You on ARTPOP: 

4. Taylor releasing ME as the lead single from Lover (she’s so lucky it didn’t destroy Lover like I thought it would) not releasing I Did Something Bad a single 

Archived