What were some major career blunders made by your favorite singers?

Jordan Miller

3 hours ago, ItsLiamBitch said:

1. Britney releasing Britney Jean- Honestly Femme Fatale and Scream And Shout were a huge success and Britney was really becoming a 2010’s Queen. Everything about this album from the generic overproduced songs to the boring Perfume video to the Alien no autotune leak made Britney a joke to the GP. 

2. The Glory era. Honestly, Glory is one of Brit’s best albums, it could have been huge! Not releasing Make Me after the BBMAs was a huge mistake, giving Make Me an awful video was a huge mistake, the album cover was a huge mistake, Mood Ring as a Japanese bonus track was a huge mistake, no promotion for Slumber Party was a huge mistake, no more singles was a huge mistake. 

3. Gaga not releasing ARTPOP act 2, not releasing John Wayne as a single, not releasing Heavy Metal Lover as a single and not including Brooklyn Nights, TEA or I Wanna Be With You on ARTPOP: 

4. Taylor releasing ME as the lead single from Lover (she’s so lucky it didn’t destroy Lover like I thought it would) not releasing I Did Something Bad a single 

Mood Ring wasn't a Glory bonus track?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lana Del Rey's biggest career blunder was her first SNL performance, but I think her biggest blunder since has been the lack of effort she puts into each of her eras, especially videos. She seems to do all her videos and photoshoots at once before the album is released and then reuses that content for the rest of the era. It's disappointing for someone who started off with such a visually strong first era. Her Born to Die videos and photoshoots are top tier. Now, all the videos we get for her are usually homemade or just not as creative, exciting, or visually appealing.

As someone who is introverted, I definitely understand not wanting to do a **** ton of promo all the time, especially when she got burned by the media a few times. And also, her music is still as good as when she started, if not, better. So I can't complain too much. But she created her entire own world around her in the Born to Die era. The music was unlike anything else. The videos were cool as hell and somehow both classy, moody, and trashy all at the same time. And the lifestyle she embodied in those videos and songs usually carried over into her photoshoots, appearances, and interviews.

In contrast, she released the first singles for Norman ******* Rockwell literally almost a year before the album was released. For months, we just thought we were never going to get an album. For the 8 music videos she released, 5 of them were using the same video footage. The other 3 music videos were still pretty boring even though they were different shoots. I will admit, I like the NFR 3-in-1 music video and the videos all have a cohesive look for the era, but all her videos post-Tropico have been so boring in contrast to what they used to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for videos with no storyline and just visuals, but getting those for 4 eras in a row afterwards is boring.

8 hours ago, jordeezy said:

Spice Girls - Geri Halliwell leaving before their third album was completed and released so that they could reunite and do their own things along the way.  Mel B not releasing a good solo album and attempting RnB when she didn't have the vocals for that genre. 

Didn't Mel B release her first solo album a month before the Spice Girls released Forever? That's not a smart career move.

5 hours ago, ItsLiamBitch said:

3. Gaga not releasing ARTPOP act 2, not releasing John Wayne as a single, not releasing Heavy Metal Lover as a single and not including Brooklyn Nights, TEA or I Wanna Be With You on ARTPOP: 

Omg I forgot all about Brooklyn Nights. I love ARTPOP as it is but that song could have easily been on the album, bumping it up to 16 tracks. And IWBWY is so much better than Dope, don't know why Gaga had to change the song. Looking back the ARTPOP era wasn't as smooth as it could have been.

She is no where my favorite, but it is an interesting story to share within the topic:

A very popular Japanese singer named Koda Kumi once stated in national radio broadcast that "women should get married by 35, because after that their amniotic fluid will get rotten and they can't have kids", yep, she said that, in national radio, where everyone can hear it :jj:

Oh boy, everyone in Japan came after her, and her album went from #1 to #30 the next day :airpls:

13 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Nelly Furtado: releasing a Spanish album after the HUGE success of "Loose". Then taking another 3 years to finally release an English album. If that hadn't destroyed her career completely, then taking another 5 years for another album definitely did. :rip:

It’s heart-warming to see some more Nelly stans on here. I thought I was the only one left :nydisgust:. Of course it was a huge mistake to take that many breaks inbetween. But she had talked about mental health issues in the past. So I think it was the right thing for her to do and get off that hamster wheel.
I love every single track of hers and how she’s going in a completely different direction with each album. But I wish she was still relevant to GP. 
Do you think she will be able to make a comeback? 

23 minutes ago, Johnsons said:

It’s heart-warming to see some more Nelly stans on here. I thought I was the only one left :nydisgust:. Of course it was a huge mistake to take that many breaks inbetween. But she had talked about mental health issues in the past. So I think it was the right thing for her to do and get off that hamster wheel.
I love every single track of hers and how she’s going in a completely different direction with each album. But I wish she was still relevant to GP. 
Do you think she will be able to make a comeback? 

I totally agree that it was the right thing to do. Especially considering she has even stated that she isn't really here for the fame thing anymore. It was just an example of an objective career misstep without taking into consideration actual reasons for said misstep. :) "The Ride" is probably my favorite Nelly album so it's definitely a shame that it did so freakin' poorly. :thinkney: I could see her maybe coming back with proper promotion, but she doesn't really have the Hollywood machine behind her anymore to make said promotion happen. Maybe if she worked with Timbaland / Justin Timberlake. I'm sure that would create some buzz. Definitely no indie folk-pop songs (even if those are my favorites). She'd have to bring it right back to the 00s. But I'm pretty sure she had a falling out with Timbaland so god knows that ain't happening. :tbh:

6 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

"The Ride" is probably my favorite Nelly album so it's definitely a shame that it did so freakin' poorly. :thinkney: I could see her maybe coming back with proper promotion, but she doesn't really have the Hollywood machine behind her anymore to make said promotion happen. Maybe if she worked with Timbaland / Justin Timberlake. I'm sure that would create some buzz. Definitely no indie folk-pop songs (even if those are my favorites). She'd have to bring it right back to the 00s. But I'm pretty sure she had a falling out with Timbaland so god knows that ain't happening. :tbh:

The Ride is simply a masterpiece. What’s your favorite track? Mine’s probably „Magic“. I think it did poorly due to lack of promo. There wasn’t even a proper lead single. 
I think a successful way to become relevant again would be, like you said, a collab with a famous singer like Justin justin timberlake what GIFImo she’s the queen of features. 
We should open a Nelly thread :raven:

52 minutes ago, Johnsons said:

The Ride is simply a masterpiece. What’s your favorite track? Mine’s probably „Magic“. I think it did poorly due to lack of promo. There wasn’t even a proper lead single. 
I think a successful way to become relevant again would be, like you said, a collab with a famous singer like Justin justin timberlake what GIFImo she’s the queen of features. 
We should open a Nelly thread :raven:

A collab with JT and Timbaland would be a cool throwback to "Give It 2 Me". :tbh: My favorite songs from "The Ride" are "Flatline", "Paris Sun" and "Pipe Dreams". :jumpney:

a lot of my britney gripes i can't really go on about bc i don't think she made the choices tbh. HOWEVER, chaotic being a thing was...like girl, why? why you do that? also maybe don't intentionally destroy your image with kevin federline and kmart clothes and chain smoking...not like it got the paparazzi off her

retweet to the one abt nelly furtado taking 5 YEAR BREAKS between english albums...absolutely no call for that but i always kind of got an arrogant vibe off her so maybe it makes sense, same thing xtina always did

speaking of ole screamer, i have SO many gripes w her omg:

1. taking so long between albums as if she was f**king madonna after she had only been in the industry like 4-5 years...honey no madonna was allotted SOME time because she had sold like 150 million records by the time you debuted...

2. general scream singing, on lead singles, on albums, at live performances...show some restraint woman 

3. squandering the chance to put out an album in 2008-ish. she had the two new songs w linda perry that were BOMB, the two really cool reworks, and that one cover "falling in love again" for a movie that fit right in w them. she apparently recorded other songs w linda then too but i can't find much info ever. like that would've been a killer album, keeps gettin better was already top ten off a compilation album, she was in good graces following back to basics. gaga was new and she could have possibly not been so obliterated by the cooked up rivalry that ruined bionic's chances. could you imagine hurt or candy man or somethin gettin reworked like genie and beautiful? i quiver 

4. don't f**king refer to lady gaga as an it, she was dead on arrival after she said that where ANYONE could here...honestly she just should not have been so arrogant and nasty to so many people. bionic was the damn pedestal she placed herself upon getting kicked right out from under her omg

59 minutes ago, NormaJeanSpears said:

a lot of my britney gripes i can't really go on about bc i don't think she made the choices tbh. HOWEVER, chaotic being a thing was...like girl, why? why you do that? also maybe don't intentionally destroy your image with kevin federline and kmart clothes and chain smoking...not like it got the paparazzi off her

retweet to the one abt nelly furtado taking 5 YEAR BREAKS between english albums...absolutely no call for that but i always kind of got an arrogant vibe off her so maybe it makes sense, same thing xtina always did

speaking of ole screamer, i have SO many gripes w her omg:

1. taking so long between albums as if she was f**king madonna after she had only been in the industry like 4-5 years...honey no madonna was allotted SOME time because she had sold like 150 million records by the time you debuted...

2. general scream singing, on lead singles, on albums, at live performances...show some restraint woman 

3. squandering the chance to put out an album in 2008-ish. she had the two new songs w linda perry that were BOMB, the two really cool reworks, and that one cover "falling in love again" for a movie that fit right in w them. she apparently recorded other songs w linda then too but i can't find much info ever. like that would've been a killer album, keeps gettin better was already top ten off a compilation album, she was in good graces following back to basics. gaga was new and she could have possibly not been so obliterated by the cooked up rivalry that ruined bionic's chances. could you imagine hurt or candy man or somethin gettin reworked like genie and beautiful? i quiver 

4. don't f**king refer to lady gaga as an it, she was dead on arrival after she said that where ANYONE could here...honestly she just should not have been so arrogant and nasty to so many people. bionic was the damn pedestal she placed herself upon getting kicked right out from under her omg

Can’t believe I forgot all about Chaotic, that really was a low point in her career. But then again I was trying to think of music related ones in my original post lol. 

Britney Jean - One of the most lackluster eras, boring singles/songs, and just a bad album in general. So obviously rushed for Vegas and that was the only reason it was released. I wish she had released more singles with Glory but I know she hasn't really been into her career in the last few years with this c-ship.

Archived