Britney's U.S. Magazine Covers (2002)

Britney on Magazine Covers (U.S) in 2002

51t4H5Mm-sL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1308924338718.jpg

1118full-britney-spears.jpg

Have you met her?
I met her, and she was really nice. She sent me flowers at my hotel room. And the next week she said something like, “I don’t think it’s cool the way that she’s like a puppet and she’s really smiley and happy all the time.” She’s probably doing that to protect her whole gimmick thing. I respect that, but don’t be a hypocrite and put me down when you’re, like, performing with your belly showing, too. And the reason why I’m smiling is because I’m grateful. I’m not the type of person to walk around and be like, “****, I’m the coolest girl.” I still think her music rocks. But the whole thing hurt my feelings. I felt like, “I thought you liked me. You sent me flowers.”

(Britney Spears Pleases Herself: Rolling Stone’s 2002 Cover Story)

A1VW3CcojYL._SX425_.jpg

3-2002-issue-of-TEEN-PEOPLE-magazine.jpg

71TaROdYNPL._SY550_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1416623787_u372-zoom.jpg

s-l400.jpg

60522f729f695c3fe8e2a56462c9cba0.jpg

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoyUpDVKdIGQml0AxLs6g
  • July 8 issue, on newsstands Monday, June 24, 2002.  The image above is of her 2001 Forbes issue, because I couldn't find the 2002 issue where Britney made #1 on Forbes Hot 100 List.

Britney Tops Forbes' Celebrity List (2002)

Using a formula that combines money and fame, Forbes magazine says Britney Spears tops its latest Celebrity 100 list. The 2002 list quantifies celebrity by combining earning power with star power, inc

Using a formula that combines money and fame, Forbes magazine says Britney Spears tops its latest Celebrity 100 list. The 2002 list quantifies celebrity by combining earning power with star power, including press clips, TV and radio mentions, magazine cover stories, and Web site hits.

"This year's champ: Britney Spears. She doesn't have Steven Spielberg's pull, but in the last year she arguably had a bigger impact on pop culture," the magazine said in its July 8 issue, on newsstands Monday (June 24). 

The 20-year-old Spears has three multi-platinum albums to her credit. She recently branched out into film, with a starring role in "Crossroads" behind her and a NASCAR-themed film in development. Her new restaurant, an American bistro dubbed Nyla, recently opened in a New York's Dylan Hotel.

Other music acts in the top-10 of the list are Madonna (No. 4), U2 (No. 5), 'N Sync (No. 6), and Mariah Carey (No. 7). Jennifer Lopez ranked No. 12 on the tally, while the Backstreet Boys were listed at No. 19, Dave Matthews Band at No. 24, and Elton John at No. 25. Boston-based rock outfit Aerosmith pulled in at No. 44, one slot ahead of radio personality Howard Stern. 

Eric Clapton made the list at No. 52, while Ozzy Osbourne's clan ranked at No. 85. The only other artists to make the list were popster Mandy Moore (No. 86) and teenage rapper Bow Wow (No. 92).

Tom Cruise, last year's No. 1, didn't make the new list, although his ex-wife, Nicole Kidman, did -- at No. 27. The rest of the top-10 is rounded out by golfer Tiger Woods (No. 2), Steven Spielberg (No. 3), Oprah Winfrey (No. 8), Michael Jordan (No. 9), and Tom Hanks (No. 10).

The full list is also available on the Forbes Web site, where it is broken down by rank, money, Web hits, and various press impressions.

Source: (www.billboard.com)

1416623978_u394-zoom.jpg?w=800

09_02_11_no_upc_750x1000.jpg?w=450&w=700&q=85

What effect do you think being a woman has had on your music?
At first it was kind of hard because I think people don’t take you as seriously. And for people to take you seriously, they make you think that you have to be ballsy. But I think there’s a way to balance the two — being who you are and saying how you feel but not going over the top with it. I’m trying to be a little bit more assertive. (Britney Spears Pleases Herself: Rolling Stone’s 2002 Cover Story

rs-95406-24344729-24344731-large.jpg

"I’m supposed to take six months off, but I probably won’t. The whole point of me taking a break is to be out of the public eye and not see my face on TV, because I’m sick of myself. This is more of a spiritual thing for me. I want to not have my hair and makeup done all the time." (Britney Spears Pleases Herself: Rolling Stone’s 2002 Cover Story)

1416624083_u410-zoom.jpg?w=800

What have you learned in the past year?
I feel changed. I’m a little more serious than I was. It’s really weird, because you’re a star, and everything is about you all the time — and I’m tired of that. I want to have a different perspective. And not have all my family and all the people I know working for me. I want to hang out with my friends and be a nobody. Because that’s how you become reinspired. Do you understand what I’m saying? (Britney Spears Pleases Herself: Rolling Stone’s 2002 Cover Story)

Any of y'all remember buying any of these?  :) 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, CristMont said:

2002 was a really good year :tiffhair:

Queen of 2002 tbh :mcry:

Amazing! So many iconic looks and she was flawless. It was a transitional time for her . Unfortunately, 2002 Britney started to get some flak from the GP ?

I remember getting 1 through 3, and then 6, 8, and 9, all when they came out... Also the Rolling Stone with the other female artists. I would collect them, and sometimes I would cut them out because back then, she and Buffy were my fashion icons and I had a little notebook for outfits I wanted. 

I would also get those Britney-themed magazine editions, if anyone remembers those? Like it'd be from Tiger Beat or J14 or whatever, but it'd be about nothing but Britney.

54 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

I remember getting 1 through 3, and then 6, 8, and 9, all when they came out... Also the Rolling Stone with the other female artists. I would collect them, and sometimes I would cut them out because back then, she and Buffy were my fashion icons and I had a little notebook for outfits I wanted. 

I would also get those Britney-themed magazine editions, if anyone remembers those? Like it'd be from Tiger Beat or J14 or whatever, but it'd be about nothing but Britney.

Buffy was like my other 90’s goddess. Seriously. And it makes me so happy to see SMG always showing love for Brit :mcry:

53 minutes ago, Freakshow__ said:

It's hard to believe how big she was during 1999-2002 i don't think we'll ever see that impact anymore. Adele can sell 20 million albums but Britney was way more than that, she simply the biggest star in the whole world. 2002 was awesome. Loving your posts Khoazie. <3

That impact. And Forbes pointed out that in terms of earnings, Brit was 25th. Also, the allleged Clear Water Radio ban on Britney started around January of 2002. Her Britney singles were not doing as well as her BOMT and OOPS singles, and yet she made Forbes #1. That really speaks to the insane power that she had on culture!

thanks! :) 

I’m supposed to take six months off, but I probably won’t. The whole point of me taking a break is to be out of the public eye and not see my face on TV, because I’m sick of myself. This is more of a spiritual thing for me. I want to not have my hair and makeup done all the time." (Britney Spears Pleases Herself: Rolling Stone’s 2002 Cover Story)

i guess she she really doesn’t want her hair and makeup done

1 minute ago, naturalplayboy said:

I’m supposed to take six months off, but I probably won’t. The whole point of me taking a break is to be out of the public eye and not see my face on TV, because I’m sick of myself. This is more of a spiritual thing for me. I want to not have my hair and makeup done all the time." (Britney Spears Pleases Herself: Rolling Stone’s 2002 Cover Story)

i guess she she really doesn’t want her hair and makeup done

Queen of being spiritual :raven:

3 hours ago, Khoazie said:

Have you met her?
I met her, and she was really nice. She sent me flowers at my hotel room. And the next week she said something like, “I don’t think it’s cool the way that she’s like a puppet and she’s really smiley and happy all the time.” She’s probably doing that to protect her whole gimmick thing. I respect that, but don’t be a hypocrite and put me down when you’re, like, performing with your belly showing, too. And the reason why I’m smiling is because I’m grateful. I’m not the type of person to walk around and be like, “****, I’m the coolest girl.” I still think her music rocks. But the whole thing hurt my feelings. I felt like, “I thought you liked me. You sent me flowers.”

Britney was never afraid to clap back.  P!nk was shook after this too.  :schoolingtime:

Us Weekly always used the best pictures of her back in the day.  

1416623575_u329-zoom.jpg

I've always loved everything about this cover & photo.  :flawless:

2 hours ago, Captain Marvel said:

Britney was never afraid to clap back.  P!nk was shook after this too.  :schoolingtime:

Us Weekly always used the best pictures of her back in the day.  

1416623575_u329-zoom.jpg

I've always loved everything about this cover & photo.  :flawless:

That photo was also on those Valentine’s Day grams that kids trade in grade school. :mcry:

this was such a moment in culture...America pre-9/11. Marie osmond coming forth with mental illness struggles. People obsessing over whether or not Britney was going to “stay virginal” while dating JT :quirkney:

4 hours ago, Khoazie said:

s-l1600.jpg

1416623787_u372-zoom.jpg

Disclaimer: I’m not one of those crazy Justney shippers that is still waiting for them to reconcile, but seeing these two consecutive magazine covers brought me back and gave my (previously) hopelessly romantic preadolescent heart a little pang.

The pictures are almost identical, yet the first headline is referring to rumors of their impending marriage, while the next is about their breakup. I know spending the rest of your life with your very first kiss seems ridiculously idealistic, but I can’t help but think these two deserved a real fairytale ending. I have yet to see either one look at a partner in the same way they looked at each other. Truly unfortunate it couldn’t work out. :crying1:

1 hour ago, Khoazie said:

That photo was also on those Valentine’s Day grams that kids trade in grade school. :mcry:

this was such a moment in culture...America pre-9/11. Marie osmond coming forth with mental illness struggles. People obsessing over whether or not Britney was going to “stay virginal” while JT :quirkney:

Such a different time and so absurd in retrospect.  Like who cares if she's getting dicked down?  But we all needed to know.   :umomg:

3 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

Disclaimer: I’m not one of those crazy Justney shippers that is still waiting for them to reconcile, but seeing these two consecutive magazine covers brought me back and gave my (previously) hopelessly romantic preadolescent heart a little pang.

The pictures are almost identical, yet the first headline is referring to rumors of their impending marriage, while the next is about their breakup. I know spending the rest of your life with your very first kiss seems ridiculously idealistic, but I can’t help but think these two deserved a real fairytale ending. I have yet to see either one look at a partner in the same way they looked at each other. Truly unfortunate it couldn’t work out. :crying1:

It’s crazy when I was looking over at the coverage of their breakup, the media clearly had a bias against Britney and was on Justin’s side. “Britney flaunts ‘Dump him’ shirt. Justin’s hot video with a cheating Britney look alike.” The video was good, but um, think about it. This guy stalks his ex, breaks into her home, while she’s showering, vandalizes her belongings, and films a *** tape (ok maybe not) on her bed...:ineedthetruth:

10 hours ago, Captain Marvel said:

Such a different time and so absurd in retrospect.  Like who cares if she's getting dicked down?  But we all needed to know.   :umomg:

So surreal! It was as if America and the public needed reassurance that Britney, despite being like 20 and blossoming into this babe, was going to stay “virginal.” Once she said yes, then people felt like they could continue loving her. But then once that relationship ended, oh no!  Britney’s on the loose! 

Just now, Khoazie said:

So surreal! It was as if America and the public needed reassurance that Britney, despite being like 20 and blossoming into this babe, was going to stay “virginal.” Once she said yes, then people felt like they could continue loving her. But then once that relationship ended, oh no!  Britney’s on the loose! 

When CNN reported her not being a virgin like it was breaking news... I knew this girl wasn't just your average pop star.  

Oprah said it best to her:  "If you wanna change your mind, it's okay."  

5 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

It’s crazy when I was looking over at the coverage of their breakup, the media clearly had a bias against Britney and was on Justin. “Britney flaunts ‘Dump him’ shirt. Justin’s hot video with a cheating Britney look alike.” The video was good, but um, think about it. This guy stalks his ex, breaks into her home, while she’s showering, and vandalized her belongings, and filmed a *** tape (ok maybe not) on her bed....

Yeah, JT didn’t handle the breakup well at all, but I can empathize with him due to how heartbroken he was. He was literally ready to propose to this girl and spend the rest of his life with her, and must’ve been completely blindsided by what happened. I can’t imagine being cheated on in front of the entire world. 

What I can’t understand, however, is the media’s seemingly knee-jerk reaction to absolutely demonize Britney. Hollywood is inundated with relationship scandals and affairs, and yet 99% of those celebrities don’t receive even a fraction of the hatred that Britney did (e.g., Ben Affleck cheating on Jennifer Garner, Gavin Rossdale cheating on Gwen Stefani, Kristin Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson, etc.). Their scandals were brief blips in the news, and certainly didn't have an enormous negative impact on their public image and/or professional success. 

Just now, LostInAnImage said:

Yeah, JT didn’t handle the breakup well at all, but I can empathize with him due to how heartbroken he was. He was literally ready to propose to this girl and spend the rest of his life with her, and must’ve been completely blindsided by what happened. I can’t imagine being cheated on in front of the entire world. 

What I can’t understand, however, is the media’s seemingly knee-jerk reaction to absolutely demonize Britney. Hollywood is inundated with relationship scandals and affairs, and yet 99% of those celebrities don’t receive even a fraction of the hatred that Britney did (e.g., Ben Affleck cheating on Jennifer Garner, Gavin Rossdale cheating on Gwen Stefani, Kristin Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson, etc.). Their scandals were brief blips in the news, and certainly didn't have an enormous negative impact on their public image and/or professional success. 

Yup! I remember it was so fast. How the media jumped on the anti Britney wagon and painted her out to be this wild man-eating tart. Justin around that time, was rumored to be involved with all these other women, but his coverage always had a different vibe. He was allowed to have flings etc.... 

5 minutes ago, Captain Marvel said:

When CNN reported her not being a virgin like it was breaking news... I knew this girl wasn't just your average pop star.  

Oprah said it best to her:  "If you wanna change your mind, it's okay."  

I mean, if you get advice straight from oprah. You doin alright :whatitellu:

2 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

Yup! I remember it was so fast. How the media jumped on the anti Britney wagon and painted her out to be this wild man-eating tart. Justin around that time, was rumored to be involved with all these other women, but his coverage always had a different vibe. He was allowed to have flings etc.... 

A very unfortunate reflection upon our society, and the vastly different rules that exist for men and women.

1 minute ago, LostInAnImage said:

A very unfortunate reflection upon our society, and the vastly different rules that exist for men and women.

Yup. I mean, Justin was given free pass to be ****** in his music and videos, pull off JJ’s nipple cover, get with various women, continuously reference his relationship with Britney in his music and in the press, and come out on top. 

Britney was seen kissing Colin Ferrel—-:wow: that Diane sawyer interview, I remember feeling like Diane was the stand-in for the GP voicing their concerns over Britney 

Archived