Britney's U.S. Magazine Covers (2002)

10 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

Their scandals were brief blips in the news, and certainly didn't have an enormous negative impact on their public image and/or professional success. 

Interestingly, people largely point out the breakup as being the moment when Britney started to “unravel,” so to speak. Whatever the actual circumstances were, when you look at the media and shift in her public image at the time, the press pretty much already decided that Britney was “losing it.”  When she was “virginal,” and well-mannered, she was too “puppet-like.” When she showed her humanity, and her “real self,” she was suddenly the “anti-Christ.” Lol 

I read this one article a while ago, which talked about how the public has always felt strangely entitled when it comes to Britney’s body. And it got me thinking how that has also applied to her personhood too. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

Interestingly, people largely point out the breakup as being the moment when Britney started to “unravel,” so to speak. Whatever the actual circumstances were, when you look at the media and shift in her public image at the time, the press pretty much already decided that Britney was “losing it” so to speak. When she was “virginal,” and well-mannered, she was too “puppet-like.” When she showed her humanity, and her “real self,” she was suddenly this “anti-Christ.” Lol 

I read this one article a while ago, which talked about how the public has always felt strangely entitled when it comes to Britney’s body. And it got me thinking how that has also applied to her personhood too. 

I agree with that assessment completely. Essentially, the public and media alike wanted Britney to be the ultimate fantasy girl and reflection of the “American Dream.” Yet when her humanity couldn’t live up to the fantasy, people were nearly enraged on a personal level. They felt invested in her success and image, despite knowing how much was manufactured for [our] entertainment. And the same public adoration that turned her into a superstar overnight was just as happy and fervent to help tear her down from the pedestal which they had built. 

11 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

I agree with that assessment completely. Essentially, the public and media alike wanted Britney to be the ultimate fantasy girl and reflection of the “American Dream.” Yet when her humanity couldn’t live up to the fantasy, people were nearly enraged on a personal level. They felt invested in her success and image, despite knowing how much was manufactured for [our] entertainment. And the same public adoration that turned her into a superstar overnight was just as happy and fervent to help tear her down from the pedestal which they had built. 

Sometimes, when I go back and read some of the major publications such as Esquire, etc. that interviewed Britney, it can be jarring the way many of the writers (usually male) approached her and how they depicted her. This Chuck Klosterman piece comes to mind. I can only imagjne what that must’ve been like for a 16/17 year young woman to experience that. :wow:

Britney to the public has always been this sort of vessel for people to project all sorts of expectations and fears, standards, etc  upon 

On 9/28/2018 at 9:38 PM, fucknfurter said:

I would also get those Britney-themed magazine editions, if anyone remembers those? Like it'd be from Tiger Beat or J14 or whatever, but it'd be about nothing but Britney.

Yup. I had a few of those. And I had the book with her and Fe, as well as the Heart to Heart book with mama Lynne lol 

Archived