Late 90s-Early 2000s: Most Questionable Fashion Choices

LostInAnImage

13 minutes ago, STJ said:

i don't understand the glasses or the hairstyle...

o-GLASSES-570.jpg?1

pimpney

46696b09d18a2e42eab95646942849fd.jpg

YES, those small, tinted glasses were so damn unflattering and she wore them constantly. People always made fun of the “bug trend” wherein everyone wore huge, rounded sunglasses from the mid-2000’s onward, but I personally thought they were a huge improvement from their predecessor.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you are way too harsh. You do realise that in 20 years the fashion of now will look like how we see the fashion of then 90’s etc. People will be WTF at all the pastel and grey hair and all the **** we wear now. Thing become dated but they were fine back then, but of course some were a bad already back then. But some of you act like the fashion police thinking these pics are from 2018.

5 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

She did make some great contributions to the zeitgeist though, even in terms of fashion. I mean, it wasn’t all bad.

Like, the crop top, low rise jeans and bellybutton ring was her signature look, and it consequently became ubiquitous among popstars. And I honestly still love that overall look, even if it’s considered dated. To me it has a casual, almost timeless *** appeal to it. All the fashionistas and “it girls” just try so damn hard nowadays. I liked how Britney’s free spirit and tomboy streak came through even in her style. 

IMO, this first look will always be sexier than the second one:

1280-41yn19e6g75p5pw1f7g2chsrs764eb5d1eg

Kim-Kardashian-Yeezy-PVC-Wedge-Mules.jpg

I agree. Great comment!

2 minutes ago, WilderWein said:

Some of you are way too harsh. You do realise that in 20 years the fashion of now will look like how we see the fashion of then 90’s etc. People will be WTF at all the pastel and grey hair and all the **** we wear now. Thing become dated but they were fine back then, but of course some were a bad already back then. But some of you act like the fashion police thinking these pics are from 2018.

Oh, I completely agree! It's truly all in good fun. For example, the most iconic styles worn by Marylin Monroe, Elvis Presley or MJ would be largely laughable if debuted durIng this day and age, but that in no way diminishes the iconic cultural impact they had. I just think it's fun to see how trends evolve over time.

4 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

Oh, I completely agree! It's truly all in good fun. For example, the most iconic styles worn by Marylin Monroe, Elvis Presley or MJ would be largely laughable if debuted durIng this day and age, but that in no way diminishes the iconic cultural impact they had. I just think it's fun to see how trends evolve over time.

(I love Elvis so much) I agree and your idea is def. fun. My comment wasn’t aimed at you, I like your attitude and would love more threads like this. 

27 minutes ago, I'mNotTheAverageLady said:

Ohmygod I've never seen these looks

Was Brit serious with that second outfit or she weared it because she wanted to fool herself?

I have to say I would f-king wear the first one tho:bsass:

The early 2000s were really a truly magical time 

Haha, that second outfit was during a Crossroads premiere in Amsterdam, so perhaps she was just partaking in the legal weed smoking within their “coffee shops” beforehand. It would certainly explain her a) wearing socks with heels, b) the carton of popcorn attached to her hand all night, and c) the goofy, carefree grin she maintained for the majority of the event.

af840ad02f6f027651c43af753bd6788.jpg

55993-britney-spears-568-122-546lo.jpg

(Not judging at all BTW, I’d most likely do the exact same given her insane promo schedule at the time).

18 minutes ago, WilderWein said:

(I love Elvis so much) I agree and your idea is def. fun. My comment wasn’t aimed at you, I like your attitude and would love more threads like this. 

I actually frequently look forward to reading your own comments, so I really appreciate your sentiment! Personally, Elvis’ music itself isn’t my cup of tea, but his charisma, stage presence and disregard for the status quo were undeniable. He was arguably responsible for the onset of American obsession with celebrity (particularly performers). Thanks to him, music seemingly transitioned from something audible to something both visual and visceral. In many ways, Britney truly mirrored his career trajectory.

3 minutes ago, portrait said:

ew this is so ugly omg :cuteneylaugh: how desperate can a person be? 

I’m not a fan of hers by any means, but she truly can look beautiful (particularly prior to all the unnecessary plastic surgery procedures; her natural exotic look was stunning). I just don’t understand how someone can always look like they’ve spent hours in hair and makeup, simply to go to dinner or even walk around town for a minute or two. And this is coming from someone who adores their consistently (fully stocked) vanity!

But frankly, the entirety of her lifestyle seems both exhausting and pointless, and her legions of cognitively immutable troglodytes cause me great concern for the future.

2 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

I just don’t understand how someone can always look like they’ve spent hours in hair and makeup, simply to go to dinner or even walk around town for a minute or two.

It's like full time job of hers. :mhmnod: Well paid. 

11 minutes ago, britisthecolor said:

ı like popcorn shirts and lace-up pants.

and actually ı wear dark brown lipstick most of the time (and claret red).

Well according to Vogue, and a bunch of other prestigious fashion magazines I perused to find the pics for this thread, brown lipstick is definitely back in style; it’s just that people used to wear it without any regard for their skin tone (and overlined to a frightening extent). As with all lipsticks, especially bold shades, it’s crucial to know what you can (and cannot) pull off! This picture, for example, illustrates how a brown lip can be either wholly unflattering or dramatic and ****:

90s-retro-makeup-brown-toned-lipsticks-d

So, with all that to be said, more power to you! That's not something we can all rock, and I definitely didn't mean to debase all brown lip shades in general. :makeitrain:

1 hour ago, LostInAnImage said:

Haha, that second outfit was during a Crossroads premiere in Amsterdam, so perhaps she was just partaking in the legal weed smoking within their “coffee shops” beforehand. It would certainly explain her a) wearing socks with heels, b) the carton of popcorn attached to her hand all night, and c) the goofy, carefree grin she maintained for the majority of the event.

af840ad02f6f027651c43af753bd6788.jpg

55993-britney-spears-568-122-546lo.jpg

(Not judging at all BTW, I’d most likely do the exact same given her insane promo schedule at the time).

Ohh your theory perfectly explains it

I even say I like this outfit despite its goofiness (or because of it). It's really boho chic like a lot of her early 2000s outfits but it's more over the top than the others and I personally think it's stylish and cute (that's my weird taste here)

The thing I love most about 2000s Brit's fashion is the asymmetrical crop tops

a0e3ddfe65b056fadf071afa00538c91.jpg

britkelly2001.jpg

00276550_lg.jpg

There are a lot more and I so want to post them all but I don't have time to search all

My fave bubblegum pop look

5925e34e21ccd6d5ba63fdbbca1e6c06.jpg582084a6541820cabbd851a0e74e5d76.jpg

3 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

Well according to Vogue, and a bunch of other prestigious fashion magazines I perused to find the pics for this thread, brown lipstick is definitely back in style; it’s just that people used to wear it without any regard for their skin tone (and overlined to a frightening extent). As with all lipsticks, especially bold shades, it’s crucial to know what you can (and cannot) pull off! This picture, for example, illustrates how a brown lip can be either wholly unflattering or dramatic and ****:

90s-retro-makeup-brown-toned-lipsticks-d

So, with all that to be said, more power to you! That's not something we can all rock, and I definitely didn't mean to debase all brown lip shades in general. :makeitrain:

ı know, it's just that ı have olive skin (ı think?it looks like kylie's skin in this pic in summer and a little bit paler in winter) and ı think only dark lipsticks look good on me.

14 minutes ago, I'mNotTheAverageLady said:

Ohh your theory perfectly explains it

I even say I like this outfit despite its goofiness (or because of it). It's really boho chic like a lot of her early 2000s outfits but it's more over the top than the others and I personally think it's stylish and cute (that's my weird taste here)

The thing I love most about 2000s Brit fashion is the assymetrical crop tops

a0e3ddfe65b056fadf071afa00538c91.jpg

britkelly2001.jpg

There are a lot more and I so want to post them all but I don't have time to searc all

My fave bubblegum pop look

5925e34e21ccd6d5ba63fdbbca1e6c06.jpg

YES! I loved that “I want candy” look so much that I actually bought an exact replica of the shirt and newsboy cap, even though I was like 12 and certainly didn’t look as cool as I thought I did. :bcutelaugh: That’s still one of my favorite candids of all time, though. 

I even loved the crop tops that landed her on the “worst dressed” lists time and time again. She just rocked the hell out of them.

2239677.jpg

10 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

YES! I loved that “I want candy” look so much that I actually bought an exact replica of the shirt and newsboy cap, even though I was like 12 and certainly didn’t look as cool as I thought I did. :bcutelaugh: That’s still one of my favorite candids of all time, though. 

I even loved the crop tops that landed her on the “worst dressed” lists time and time again. She just rocked the hell out of them.

2239677.jpg

That's so cute of you:hehehe: the I want candy look is a timeless classic from Britney (Barbie) era. The most 2001 thing I can recall anytime

Yeah I love this outfit too, so eccentric

Which outfits landed her on the "worst dressed" list? (This, the Grammy 2000 one that I know about)

Archived