When Britney grew up too fast she lost her fanbase

Body ache

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now

It's funny how people can't dissociate the artist and the person.

It happened with Britney, with Madonna, with Marilyn Manson,  pretty much everyone.

Britney did the right thing, without the sexualization, she would have quickly faded away. Teen stars never last.:wtfdidusay:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, sue the expectional earner said:

music video scandal ruined the era. they didn't promote slumber party + make me is not the song that everyone want to listen to. basic *** pop song with new generic sounds. i prefer femme fatale era. anyway, the album is good. don't forget her look has so big affect on people, now people talking about how her face has changed and they think she became ugly. britney was very pretty woman with own natural face. she was so cool during 2009. i don't think she will be succesful again. it's so hard. beyonce,rihanna,taylor and arina are so so so better for gp. it's britney's fault, not her team.

It is true that much of Britney's success is based on her image and she looked pretty good for much of 2016.  I'm not sure what happened this year.

Some people blame Britney's fans for getting work done because of the X factor.

It remains to be seen what the future holds beyond 2017.

• 4 months later...

Sales wise I completely agree with you. I really dont understand why people keep on saying as an artist you have to musically grow. Yes maybe you should grow musically here and there, but you shouldn't grow so rapidly like less than 3 years your first album came out. We could clearly see how Madonna also suffered from her growing up image starting from Like A Prayer, Erotica, etc. Only rebounding with Ray of Light. But prior to that she was also in trouble with many of her albums doing so poorly. Then of course there's Miley Cyrus and Britney. When you look at Taylor Swift, she played safe and consistently managed to retain her fans. Whatever growth she had musically was very minor and it wasn't until her reputation album came out that we could see tremendous growth. I think the idea that music labels and artists had that you need to consistently grow which each and every albums is just stupid. Growth should come very slowly. Having said that, despite her lower sales than her first 2 albums, she did retain her fame globally. The press never stop talking about her, and she consistently produced smashing hits worldwide.

In the long run, it was a great move. You suffer short-term, but thrive long term. Had she stayed 'innocent', she would have flopped even more, long term!

It was PERFECT timing, although I wished she would have toned down her Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know video, then maybe I'm A Slave 4 U wouldn't have been seen as so excessive.

Personally, I don't think 'Britney', the album, would have sold more than 5 million. I bet had she not had the radio ban around her neck, Britney would have sold an extra million. 

As for Madonna, Like A Prayer had a lot of controversy surrounding it, but The Immaculate Collection made up for it, TIC was a huge album.

On 9/7/2017 at 7:17 AM, Britney's Blackout said:

Yes she did grow up too fast but that was only part of the problem. See, Britney during BOMT had such a sweet and innocent face. She was easily able to attract everyone's attention because she looked like an adorable genuine little girl who (as britney made it seem) was only goofing around in a school girl outfit and playing dress up on stage when performing. People bought into that and in the following year or so, she releases oops that showcased Britney as being a bit more mature and Britney (physically and music wise). This caused a lot of speculation about her body and new sound. It didn't help that 'being a virgin' was a thing in the 90's and 2000-ish. I mean, most pop songs were safe and the teen girls who were coming out like Hilary, Mandy, Britney, Xtina (although she was A BIT more upfront about her sexuality) and Jessica were all inferring or stating that they were virgins. Britney gained a lot more attention because her performances got raunchier and because she blatantly stated that she wanted to wait to have *** which really conflicted with her pop persona on stage. People still thought she was sweet but they were also confused and that threw them off. Nobody likes uncertainty. 

After that, when she released DLMBTLTK, Slave 4 u, Boys and others, people felt a bit betrayed because she seemed like she had lied in her previous statement about wanting to be a virgin so they turned on her. A few months later, she and Justin broke up and when rumours swirled about it being Britney who had cheated, people began to resent her. That's why incidents like giving the middle finger to the paparazzi after her concert was translated into giving the middle finger to Mexico. People saw that she went from this adorable 15 year old transition into a liar and a cheater and this was just another thing to add.

Then when ITZ happened, she started the year with a 55 hr marriage, which was a slap in the face for everyone. I still remember hearing this on the news and I swear to you, it was the most shocking thing ever. We literally thought it was a joke. People went from resenting her to wanting her to just disappear. She was everywhere and it was incredibly annoying. Things weren't like they are today. Reality tv was still a new thing and the idea of someone being constantly shoved in your face 24/7 was unacceptable. There was no instagram, facebook or media saturation of any kind. So Britney being in our faces was just insufferable.

After she got her **** together with the marriage, the collab with Madonna came and that almost-kiss in the video caused a lot of controversy so there was MORE britney news! Then the insanely sexualized album came and there was MORE BRITNEY! Then toxic came and there was even MORE britney! Then Britney tried to kill herself in a music video which resulted in.. you guessed it! MORE BRITNEY! And then there was the Vma's. What didn't show in MATM video was shown on the Vma's and people were over her.  If u hated Britney during that time then tough luck. You had to suck it up. The Onyx Hotel tour was bashed a lot and that's when rumours started swirling that people were walking out of her show. After that, Kevin happened! And you know what came after that? CHAOTIC! If u thought hated Britney before then this one made u despise her. I remember it supposedly being a 2 season thing but it got cancelled after 6 episodes because nobody could stand her anymore. When she injured her knee and then got married, people hated her for taking away a married man and by this time, she had no redeeming qualities to the public but they were happy that she was on the verge of going away. 

She then got pregnant and gave birth and that's when people thought they would get a more mature britney. Instead, they got a britney whose son fell off his chair and I think child protective services came to her house and that really pissed the public off (especially parents). She received a lot of backlash because everyone thought Britney treated her kids like accessories. (Not bashing but there was a lot of talk about this back then) Everytime Britney got a dog, the dog would disappear after some time. I think she was 2 huge trained dogs that were in one of her photoshoots and later, they disappeared. She then got Chihuahua dogs with kevin then they disappeared. The entire situation was horrible and the rest is history.

TL;DR: Yes, she grew up way too fast everything about her image, sound and action didn't help. 

tumblr_inline_mkmq0wDlcJ1qz4rgp.gif

Archived