its REALLY sad that GLORY flopped :(

Dynasty

54 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

Of course I think quality over quantity is more important but for me personally I don't doubt her ability to regain chart success especially when her peers who have been in the game for just as long as Britney, are pulling in big numbers, im talking albums here though not singles. 

I'd much rather Britney released an album on the level of ITZ and it flopped than release another Glory just for the sake of following trends. You do have a point about the stigma associated with Britney but that's nobodies fault but her own. Like I said if she really wanted she could work at proving people wrong and showing them her capabilities.

Honestly if she stopped relying on her past achievements for success then maybe people would stop comparing the past & the present. The likes of Beyonce & JT are continuing to have success because although they acknowledge their achievements, they are still passionate about their careers' and are continuing to deliver something new & interesting, something I don't think Britney has done for a long time regardless of how much she says Glory is her 'baby' or how much she claims to love performing. Her actions speak a lot louder than words.

Perhaps, but I genuinely find comparing Beyoncé and JT to Britney almost... useless. Whilst they come from a similar time, JT never released in the way that Britney did, Britney was oversaturated for a long period of time whereas Justin sticks to short bursts of oversaturation. Personally, I find Justin abhorrent and haven't liked anything he's put out for quite some time, and that's not because of a blind love for Britney either- I came to liking Britney quite late. And as for Beyoncé, I imagine we all have similar feelings on her, haha. 

As for the chart successes, I don't see it. Now don't get me wrong I'd love her to, but I just don't think she will. Britney' sales, for the past two decades, have been incredibly frontloaded. Beyoncé captures the attention of the GP with stunts and every album rollout, every movement, every social media post is planned to such precision that makes people pay attention and makes people want more and makes people praise her and buy into her brand. That's something Britney has never really done, bar perhaps Circus by buying into the "comeback" narrative. That's a kind of megalomania, if you will, that Britney isn't remotely interested in. Or that's what we're led to believe anyway. 

The problem she has currently, well one of, is that she's on a dangerous path of becoming a nostalgia act, like you said. She could easily become an interesting artist on her own, but it'll be difficult to stop relying on past hits. As it is for most i guess. 

Personally, I find Glory to be an enjoyable album whose highs are exciting and artistically interesting. There's no denying it's chasing a trend, but Invitation, Make Me, Change Your Mind, If I'm Dancing and Coupure Electrique are departures from her usual sound... and that's not including Private Show and What You Need. Whilst neither are particularly lauded as her best (I love What You Need) there's no denying that there's an artistic progression here. Albeit a baby step. 

Glory provides her with an opportunity to explore on what she's built or go to a generic Max Martin album and try and chase chart success. There's lots of other issues here for Britney's career of course. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NotAPassenger said:

Perhaps, but I genuinely find comparing Beyoncé and JT to Britney almost... useless. Whilst they come from a similar time, JT never released in the way that Britney did, Britney was oversaturated for a long period of time whereas Justin sticks to short bursts of oversaturation. Personally, I find Justin abhorrent and haven't liked anything he's put out for quite some time, and that's not because of a blind love for Britney either- I came to liking Britney quite late. And as for Beyoncé, I imagine we all have similar feelings on her, haha. 

As for the chart successes, I don't see it. Now don't get me wrong I'd love her to, but I just don't think she will. Britney' sales, for the past two decades, have been incredibly frontloaded. Beyoncé captures the attention of the GP with stunts and every album rollout, every movement, every social media post is planned to such precision that makes people pay attention and makes people want more and makes people praise her and buy into her brand. That's something Britney has never really done, bar perhaps Circus by buying into the "comeback" narrative. That's a kind of megalomania, if you will, that Britney isn't remotely interested in. Or that's what we're led to believe anyway. 

The problem she has currently, well one of, is that she's on a dangerous path of becoming a nostalgia act, like you said. She could easily become an interesting artist on her own, but it'll be difficult to stop relying on past hits. As it is for most i guess. 

Personally, I find Glory to be an enjoyable album whose highs are exciting and artistically interesting. There's no denying it's chasing a trend, but Invitation, Make Me, Change Your Mind, If I'm Dancing and Coupure Electrique are departures from her usual sound... and that's not including Private Show and What You Need. Whilst neither are particularly lauded as her best (I love What You Need) there's no denying that there's an artistic progression here. All be it a baby step. 

Glory provides her with an opportunity to explore on what she's built or go to a generic Max Martin album and try and chase chart success. There's lots of other issues here for Britney's career of course. 

That's what I found exciting about Glory other than its a fantastic album

Is that this is the first album that Britney was excited for and engaged since Blackout, and only great thing bodies of work will come after

Guys... you kind of forget that they really promoted the **** out of MM... thing is... with that uninspiring video to it and the scrapped daring video the damage was done. They did a looot of promo from ellen to carpool to jimmy kimmel and she even did that apple commercial with MM in the background. She performed MM on multiple shows including the VMAs. Still it didnt rule the charts. Thats why they kept the promo train running slow on SP.... :foh:

2 minutes ago, NotAPassenger said:

Personally, I find Glory to be an enjoyable album whose highs are exciting and artistically interesting. There's no denying it's chasing a trend, but Invitation, Make Me, Change Your Mind, If I'm Dancing and Coupure Electrique are departures from her usual sound... and that's not including Private Show and What You Need. Whilst neither are particularly lauded as her best (I love What You Need) there's no denying that there's an artistic progression here. All be it a baby step. 

I'm not a fan of Beyonce but I respect her dedication and passion something I wish Britney had for her career & JT is a douche but I like his music lol 

I mean this is all what ifs because I know Britney isn't here for being the world's biggest popstar anymore and I don't blame her, I wouldn't want that either if I had experienced the major overexposure she had at the beginning of her career but if she had the right team & the passion & drive I do feel she could become a big success again.

In regards to Glory for me it didn't feel like a Britney album, it felt like an attempt to become relevant again by recruiting songwriters such as Tranter/Michaels who obviously had success with Selena Gomez and following trends that had already dominated charts. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the album but I don't listen to it as much as ITZ.

Am I the only one who thinks Glory is overrated?

I mean, it's a very good album and every song on it is catchy af and her voice sounds good but in this album she's just following trends. I like Britney cause she's a trendsetter, and in Glory she didn't do that :bthink:

I don't necessarily think the album flopped, it did somewhat underperform though. But I blame RCA for releasing it the same week as Barbera Streisand/Florida Georgia Line. But if you think about it the album has done much better than Breezy Jane. The promo for the first part of the era was good too, we got VMA performance, Carpool Karaoke, Jonathon Ross Show etc. what annoyed me is how RCA gave up on the album after 2 singles and took too long to release the 2nd single! Glory is one of her best albums too, it's very versatile and Britney is at her most artistic (besides ITZ/Blackout) and so many of the songs deserved to be a single. I just think they released the wrong 2nd single and also left it too late, also she could have performed more songs from the album on POM. 

As for the album cover, it's a nice photo but the fact it came from the Make Me video (and the booklet pretty much) just makes it seem really cheap. It's a shame we couldn't have got a proper photoshoot for the album. 

It's one of her best albums and yet there are really no hits on it so it was probably doomed from the beginning. They should have recorded the album and then tried really hard to craft 2-4 hits to release as the singles to support the album for people to be really interested in it. For instance, with songs like MM and SP, the GP really just doesn't care about her slower songs.

3 hours ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

It's one of her best albums and yet there are really no hits on it so it was probably doomed from the beginning. They should have recorded the album and then tried really hard to craft 2-4 hits to release as the singles to support the album for people to be really interested in it. For instance, with songs like MM and SP, the GP really just doesn't care about her slower songs.

yet Make Me went #1 quickly on itunes after its release and was recieved well

Moved up 1 spot to #2 on itunes after her VMA performance and peaked at #17 on the billboard hot 100

1 minute ago, Cappycorn87 said:

yet Make Me went #1 quickly on itunes after its release and was recieved well

Moved up 1 spot to #2 on itunes after her VMA performance and peaked at #17 on the billboard hot 100

Make Me did flop, it barely made top 20 radio and had no impact at all :tiffcackle:

Archived