Why is Criminal so hated?

Eliot

38 minutes ago, GypsyWoman said:

Katy Perry recorded Teenage Dream during 2009 around the same time Femme Fatale was being conceptualized. Billboard, Dr. Luke and Max Martin all worked under the same production studio so regardless who actually came up with the beat to Inside Out, it was still created by that team. So I agree with the other user that Inside Out did not inspire anything since all these songs were created around the same time. Where is that sound today? You don't hear it...

The Femme Fatale we have didn't come to be until very late 2010. That's the reason why Britney has 0 writing credits on 16/17 tracks. I Wanna Go, Criminal and Up n' Down are from 2009 because they were recorded for The Singles Collection along with 3. Britney then began to work with other producers through 2010 on a variety of different sounds. The album was basically complete by August 2010 but JIVE wasn't confident in it's "hit" factor. They wanted a guaranteed smash album because they were short on cash so the money for promo needed to be well spent. So they brought back Max and called up Dr. Luke, Billbord, Bonnie McKee, etc. too.

HIAM, Inside Out, TTWE, Gasoline, Seal It With a Kiss and Drop Dead were all finished during those late 2010 sessions. The last song recorded was Big Fat Bass in February literally a month before the album release date. :orangu:

Not to mention, HIAM was initially considered for Katy Perry's TD re-release. :gloria:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dandy said:

Inside Out beat was produced solely by Billboard, Dr Luke just pasted his name on the song. Check the footage from producer-battle where we heard the instrumental for the first time. It was way before e.t and Femme Fatale even

That doesn't prove anything though. Nobody heard of this beat nor did it generate any buzz in the industry. So what did it inspire?

10 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

That doesn't prove anything though. Nobody heard of this beat nor did it generate any buzz in the industry. So what did it inspire?

Inspired de luke to ******* jack the style and eventually make billboard his protégé, same as Timbaland did with Danja. Nevermind,  I see the discussion is pointless given how entitled you are to your opinion so please enjoy the thread and let me voice my opinion. 

Guest Arckangel
6 hours ago, ITZFFGL said:

When Hold It Against Me dropped, Britney made headlines for the dubstep inclusion and it was an underlying, forward-thinking production element of Femme Fatale... Hold It Against Me, Inside Out, How I Roll and Seal It With A Kiss being the most notable.

Inside Out offered more modern production and, IMO, a waaaaaaaaay catchier hook and less corny lyrics than Criminal. Just an overall more universally relatable song. It was also ahead of the curve with the pop girls: Rihanna, for instance, made You Da One her second single from Talk That Talk later that year.

Inside Out would have been the perfect follow up to three top 10 dance hits, because it slowed down the pace while still keeping the stellar, hard hitting production the era offered. Criminal came out of nowhere and I've never even understood why that song is on the Femme Fatale track list. It does not match the tone of the album or reach the production level of the other tracks. 

I love Criminal, especially its Radio Mix. I think the Radio Mix really refreshed the track and gave it an extra edge; it was even included on B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2.

I love Brit's vocals on it and the storytelling. I also wanted Inside Out as a single, but that Radio Mix and cinematographic music video were worth the release. Shame Brit's team couldn't release up to 6, 7 or even 8 singles (like Beyoncé and Rihanna sometimes did).

58 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

I love Criminal, especially its Radio Mix. I think the Radio Mix really refreshed the track and gave it an extra edge; it was even included on B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2.

I love Brit's vocals on it and the storytelling. I also wanted Inside Out as a single, but that Radio Mix and cinematographic music video were worth the release. Shame Brit's team couldn't release up to 6, 7 or even 8 singles (like Beyoncé and Rihanna sometimes did).

I've never listened to B in the Mix Vol 2! I'll check it out; any other highlights?

Guest Arckangel
2 hours ago, ITZFFGL said:

I've never listened to B in the Mix Vol 2! I'll check it out; any other highlights?

Just found this info on YouTube in the comments section:

I cant tell the difference between this version and the album cut.

More bass, added strong drum beat. And that amazing spikey synth in the bridge! Louder backing vocals in last chorus. A little more reverb on a lot of the sound effects. It's very similar though. They basically just beefed it up, made it more epic.

Archived