Why did Jive go bankrupt?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

No, cuz Larry will step in and **** things up. She always wanted her label and was actually gonna. She discovered Jojo and introduced her to Larry.

I know that but that was old Britney.

all that takes a lot of work which Britney doesn't do anymore. Nothing to do with Larry 

5 hours ago, TheLightningThief said:

It didn't. They just merged labels.

RCA Execs Confirm Jive and Arista Labels Shut Down

In an interview with THR, CEO Peter Edge and COO Tom Corson explain why it was time to “retire those brands” and how the artists reacted.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rca-execs-confirm-jive-arista-245392

Okay sorry then i've heard it been said here countless times and everyone assumes its a fact but that was a dumb choice from them, literally since then britney's career went downhill.

9 hours ago, Play Time Is Over said:

It did go bankrupt, we've all known it for ages... and no criminal was released with RCA, maybe cause JIVE was about to shut down the month after like u said, they wouldnt keep releasing music until the last day they were active.

Even though wikipedia is not the most realiable source it said Criminal was released on both labels. I don't see why Jive couldn't stop releasing music until the end of its time as an active label? 

where's the recipets for bankruptcy though, all news articles suggest it just got merged with RCA along with J/Arista.

I think Britney's career is an indicator of why Jive failed... they didn't know what the **** to do with adult celebrities.  Since Jive began, it profited off of us teeny boppers and as we go older and the celebs became adults, they didn't know how to capitalize on that and started to lose money.  Trends changed and BSB, NSYNC were out of style.  Justin Timberlake stopped making music, Britney went on a long *** break and didn't bring in any money for anyone besides the paparazzi and P!nk has always been in and out with her career.  Jive tried to rehash Britney songs with the remix albums and make money.  Jive really knew how to promote Britney, though.  IDK what is up with RCA... they really just have no vision for her as a current artist, just a vision for taking advantage of her legacy.  Hope they come up with something for the next era. 

13 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

Britney doesn't have the drive to promote her own music...she ain't gonna have the drive for a record label. 

If anything she should open a dance studio, have Kids dance and Zumba classes every other day :hahaha:

Yes, maybe not a record lable per se, like, to promote other artists, but at least she could easily produce her own stuff independently at this point and release the albums she wants to release, the singles she wants to, the videos, the tours, whatever. Of course that could be negative for us in the sense that she could just "retire" at any moment without a contract that forces her to keep releasing stuff, but at least I think she would feel more "free" and more "in control". And then, if they end up making not too much money, at least it would be all for them and not for a record label.

Of course it would be the end for her as a mainstream artist, trying to compete with the monsters of the music industry, without a record label behind her, but right now it's almost as if she didn't have the support of the label anyway, so it wouldn't be a big difference. She wouldn't sell singles or albums, as it's happening right now, but the tickets sales would still be going strong, because she still has the fanbase and the fame.

4 hours ago, Isla. said:

Even though wikipedia is not the most realiable source it said Criminal was released on both labels. I don't see why Jive couldn't stop releasing music until the end of its time as an active label? 

where's the recipets for bankruptcy though, all news articles suggest it just got merged with RCA along with J/Arista.

have no receipts but always heard it went bankrupt. And it says it was released by both because when it was released IN the album it was by jive but as a single it was by rca. 

4 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yes, maybe not a record lable per se, like, to promote other artists, but at least she could easily produce her own stuff independently at this point and release the albums she wants to release, the singles she wants to, the videos, the tours, whatever. Of course that could be negative for us in the sense that she could just "retire" at any moment without a contract that forces her to keep releasing stuff, but at least I think she would feel more "free" and more "in control". And then, if they end up making not too much money, at least it would be all for them and not for a record label.

Of course it would be the end for her as a mainstream artist, trying to compete with the monsters of the music industry, without a record label behind her, but right now it's almost as if she didn't have the support of the label anyway, so it wouldn't be a big difference. She wouldn't sell singles or albums, as it's happening right now, but the tickets sales would still be going strong, because she still has the fanbase and the fame.

I don't think any of that would work and tickets sales won't continue to stay strong if more exposure doesn't happen. 

Jive never went bankrupt they only seized their operations to rebrand and refresh RCA which is still a failure till this day.

Quote from Wikipedia

By the late 1990s, Jive began signing pop acts Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, and Britney Spears. All three achieved massive success as the 2000s dawned, becoming the three best-selling acts in the label's history. In 1991, Barry Weiss became CEO and president of Jive Records. After two decades, he left Jive in March 2011 for Universal Music Group.[4] The company was later reorganized with some artists moving to a restructured Epic Records, while others stayed with Jive as it moved under the RCA Music Group.[5][6] In April 2011, it was widely reported that Jay-Z had outbid executives at Jive to acquire independent record label Block Starz Music.[7][8] On October 7, 2011, it was announced that Jive, along with Arista and J Records would be shut down to refresh and re-brand RCA by not confusing or diluting it with other labels.[9] All artists on those labels were moved to RCA Records.[10]

• Super Mods
15 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

I know that but that was old Britney.

all that takes a lot of work which Britney doesn't do anymore. Nothing to do with Larry 

What makes you think she still doesn't have those dreams? During that time she talked about doing vegas and she did it. Larry is her manager so he would know how to do so or who to start?do you think celebrities start things by themselves?

3 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

What makes you think she still doesn't have those dreams? During that time she talked about doing vegas and she did it. Larry is her manager so he would know how to do so or who to start?do you think celebrities start things by themselves?

I see no drive. 

The only thing I've seen drive for is the kids dance lessons. That's it, 

So doesn't want to work hard and all that takes work. 

My theory is JIVE was run by people who wanted a big payout, don't know if they ever got it? But Labels like Capitol, Sony etc would never sell cause they have staying power, JIVE/ZOMBA was all about the new pop wave and probably wanted to sell big idk Anyway they were not built to last and that's that... :staysalty:

Archived