Current state of pop music and B10

mental mystic

I just wanted to give you all a reality check... Break it down for you.... Since everyone here likes to say "Britney is a POP artist not a hip-hop artist, it doesn't suit her sound!" (ps how dare y'all forget about In The Zone like that), you need to wake up and accept that pop music as we know it, is dead. It's 2017, not 2007, and Britney can't stay a basic pop girl if she wants to stay relevant. Now me, personally I don't care whether Britney is slaying the charts or not but I think she's capable of doing it, and a big hit song for her 20th anniversary and 10th album would be sweet.

Look at the Spotify top 10: Kendrick Lamar (rapper), I'm The One (rappers and Justin Bieber), Despacito (latin), Lil Uzi Vert (rapper), Future (rapper), Kendrick Lamar again, Post Malone and Quavo (rappers), Logic (rapper), Miley Cyrus, and Drake. 8 rap, 1 latin, and ONE pop song. Miley's new song might perform well because it sounds fresh and summery, but you get the point.

Look at the Billboard Top 100: Despacito (latin), Bruno Mars (R&B), I'm The One (rappers), Shape Of You (pop/house), Kendrick (rapper), Future (rapper), The Chainsmokers (EDM/pop), Lil Uzi Vert (rapper), Zedd & Alessia Cara (EDM/house), and iSpy (rappers). The only "pop" there is is EDM and house music, stuff that plays at the club to dance to. Besides that it's all rap and R&B.

My eyes roll to the back of my head every time an exhaler makes a comment like "Lil Uzi Vert? Who's that? :idkha:" like congrats on being out of touch with what popular music is in 2017. Anyways, I really think if Britney is gonna continue with pop she needs to bring something NEW to the table and make it very dancey/house. Just like she did with Blackout, make FRESH sounding pop music that goes hard and is fun to dance to, but dark and urban enough to sound cool by today's standards. OR she could go down the ITZ route again, and make like a 2018 version of it, a little bit of electropop, some experimental pop, and sprinkle some hip-hop influences all around to top it off.  Plus if she released a ballad as a third single like Everytime to sing live (or at least pre-recorded vocals) that would be amazing! Let's hope for slayage with B10, all we can do as fans is hope for the best and support the new music, hopefully some smarter decisions are made this era, and I really hope she makes some cool R&B or hip hop influenced music!

Also I just wanted to rant because everyone here likes to pretend it's still 2006 and treat the relevant people on charts like they're irrelevant, WAKE UP! :sipney:

edit: ok I know I said I don't care about charts but if Britney could have a hit for B10 and get her first song with 1 billion+ views on youtube I'd be so happy :plzney:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Super Mods

Yeah my point exactly. It annoys the hell out of me when exhalers keep bringing up Max Martin and that they believe he'll save her career. 

She he doesn't need max and exhalers aren't any different than Larry who is backward thinking. She needs to take risk and be adventurous because people will think she's basic and boring like Katy Perry which is why she's flopping even though Max Martin is the producer which is further proof that he isn't a lifesaver and thank god Britney didn't stick with him.

30 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

Yeah my point exactly. It annoys the hell out of me when exhalers keep bringing up Max Martin and that they believe he'll save her career. 

She he doesn't need max and exhalers aren't any different than Larry who is backward thinking. She needs to take risk and be adventurous because people will think she's basic and boring like Katy Perry which is why she's flopping even though Max Martin is the producer which is further proof that he isn't a lifesaver and thank god Britney didn't stick with him.

YES. And YES @mental mystic.

I don't understand the fans who live in a warped reality where Britney is happy recording generic dance pop. :blol:

Her taste and heart has always been towards R&B and Hip Hop music. That's why she auditioned for JIVE with a Whitney Houston song and why every album since Baby One More Time has had influences of urban music. (BOMT was a TLC reject after all). It's the reason why she wants to go urban with every album and it's been getting deflected so much it's a meme in her career.

I really hope with B10 she's able to fully channel what she wants to do. Glory was great, but I'd like Britney to really get into it. She hasn't been truly hands on since Blackout.

40 minutes ago, Play Time Is Over said:

I wanna believe this is just a phase and that pop will come back soon stronger than ever. And it will.

Urban music isn't a phase lol, it's been reinventing itself in many mainstream pop eras. If anything is a phase, it's that generic pop music like Kesha, Katy, etc. it came and went with no longevity and it's aged like bread.

25 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Urban music isn't a phase lol, it's been reinventing itself in many mainstream pop eras. If anything is a phase, it's that generic pop music like Kesha, Katy, etc. it came and went with no longevity and it's aged like bread.

So much delusion on this forum :sickofu:

IA with nearly all of this. I feel like Glory (Invitation, Make Me, JLuvM, SP, and Mood Ring) was pretty similar to the tropical house/chill/moody vibe of Shape of You and Selena though. I do think she needs a reinvention though. The lip syncing and classic pop star image isn't working anymore. People are sick of it. Here's something I commented on a different thread:

Pop music has definitely take a twist. Pop stars, known for being shocking (weirdness or ***-wise) and manufactured, are out. It is now about partying songs that are very generic, but work by formula (Chainsmokers), hip hop/rap (Kanye, Kendrick), a mix of the two (Rae Sremmurd), or moody trop-house (Selena, Justin, Drake)

Pop stars like Britney, Gaga, and Katy aren't relatable anymore. Britney is too manufactured (never sings live, not really relatable), has lost her cool-factor since FF, X-Factor, and BJ. Gaga is too weird and is doing music that isn't even pop anymore. Katy is trying too hard, is too manufactured, and isn't making music that is as appealing anymore either. And they're all too "gay" and Gaga and Katy are too liberal. Straight guys can't like any of their music openly without being embarrassed, if they even like it in the first place. And for a country and world that is getting pretty fed up with political correctness, "special snowflakes," etc., that makes Gaga and Katy pretty unappealing. 

All of the music that is popular today is very unisex. It's either partying music, trop-house, or hip hop, which all appeal to both genders and aren't overly masculine or feminine or have artists that are overly masculine or feminine. People aren't embarrassed to like any of the current popular artists' music, like a lot of straight guys would be embarrassed to admit that they liked a Gaga, Britney, or Katy song, even when they were thriving and at the top of the charts. Also, a lot of the popular artists now are relatable, unlike Britney, Katy, and Gaga. They're into social media and post personal tweets. They aren't focused on putting on the best performances, but instead giving the audience a good time. They sing live. Their music appeals to a larger audience and doesn't really put off anyone by being too political, too masculine, too feminine, etc. They communicate more directly with people and just overall seem more real, relatable, and genuine. I don't know how to describe it other than that. They don't seem manufactured or too weird, they seem like people you could hang out with and just have a good time, no matter who you are. Even the Chainsmokers, who are complete **********, still seem fun to party with to a lot of college kids and partiers. 

I definitely think Glory had the most potential to do well. It fit in with the moody trop-house trend, it wasn't overly feminine, offensive, or unappealing to a large audience. I just think, for some reason, Britney's promo failed this era. Nobody seem to really know she even released new music. Not to mention, she's still lip syncing and the cringey Make Me video pretty much ruined the start of the era. But I don't think the lip syncing and video would really matter much if people just had heard Make Me and Slumber Party. They fit in very well with what was on the radio at the time, nobody just ever heard the songs, unfortunately. I really think this era could've done a lot better if more people knew about/heard the music.

Britney needs to be more relatable, open, and "cool" to people. Instead of being this distant manufactured pop star that seems untalented, lip syncs, just sings about ***, and shows off her body, she needs to create music that is ahead of the trends, deeper/more relatable, less manufactured, she needs to sing live. It'd be easy for Britney to make headlines by literally singing live or just doing a meaningful and genuine performance that gets the crowd involved, rather than just being that pop star with 25 dancers, dances on a pole, and lip syncs. People want to relate and connect with artists these days. Britney is too out of touch for that. People want something real, and Britney, or any other pop stars, aren't real or relatable.

14 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Britney is too out of touch for that. People want something real, and Britney, or any other pop stars, aren't real or relatable.

I agree that Britney's public image and music might not really be appealing to a large number of audience today, but she IS real. Just look at her Instagram then Beyonce's, Selena's and others' and you'll see.

12 minutes ago, Britney M. Carey said:

I agree that Britney's public image and music might not really be appealing to a large number of audience today, but she IS real. Just look at her Instagram then Beyonce's, Selena's and others' and you'll see.

Her instagram and her personality is real, but her performances, music, and persona to non-fans aren't. Those who don't know her don't know how down to earth she is. 

the thing is, what's popular today (trap/hip hop/R&B/house) is getting really boring since it all sounds exactly the same.  I love EDM and house music but I absolutely HATE the Chainsmokers and its so annoying that whenever people say they like EDM, they refer to them.  I have a feeling that they're popularity is going to end soon since they seem to stick to the same formula and same exact sound for each one of their songs and such. I'll give them a year. As for house, Im liking what Im hearing from Selena and other artists so far, not really much of a problem.  For trap, Hip Hop, and R&B, I feel like theres no creativity involved and no variation in the each artist's sound.  Like you can have a generic beat with some snares, claps, and synths and it sounds like every other trap song out there.  Not many artists have that signature sound besides their voice.  I feel like these genres will die out as soon as we get a new generation of people and consumers buying/streaming music in a couple of years, maybe as the decade comes to an end.  

And as for Britney, following this trend won't do her any good since she already kinda flopped with Glory. And having another "chill" album will make it seem like a Glory part 2.  All of her past albums each have a distinct sound to them. BOMT has the 90's pop sound, OIDIA has the early 2000's electronic pop sound, Britney has a mix of pop and R&B, ITZ was Experimental Pop...and so on. Glory already did its job of bringing the current sound to Britney, what she needs is to take a step forward with how pop music sounds and possibly create a new sound. It'll be something new and strange but it'll be fun.

pop is dead because Britney has stopped releasing classic pop hits :lessons: and because other pop artists are trying to follow this vibey/depressing trend

she can experiment all she wants in the album tracks, but the singles should be very danceable, preferably up-tempo-ish and straight forward pop, even if they have influences of other genres. That's what she does best. Only a Max Martin produced Britney hit could save pop music.

59 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

pop is dead because Britney has stopped releasing classic pop hits :lessons: and because other pop artists are trying to follow this vibey/depressing trend

she can experiment all she wants in the album tracks, but the singles should be very danceable, preferably up-tempo-ish and straight forward pop, even if they have influences of other genres. That's what she does best. Only a Max Martin produced Britney hit could save pop music.

Lmao what :jfallonlol: Britney never wanted to do pop songs except 1999/2000. If you see every album except BOMT/ OIDIA has urban influences, most heavily on Britney/ ITZ/ Blackout. Circus had Blur, Mannequin, FF has DKMW (not urban, but it is a rock influenced song), BJ had TTB and Glory has  SP and its very very experimental (CE, MM, PS, WYN, CYM).

Pop music is dead, no because Britney stopped releasing classic [pop hits. Lol, thats the weirdest statement I've heard. 

You're basically desiring for artistic confinement. She is free to release whatever songs she wants. And honestly, I would be more happy if she experimented more with her songs, and singles (she needs to join a different label for that ofc). 

Probably a slick pop anthem is fine for her 20th anniversary, but other than that, it would be better for her to experiment with her sound.

Also, lbr, Max Martin has lost his touch (Exhibit A: Katy Perry). Id rather her not be working with him.

7 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

She may need Max or she may not, but what she really needs is to give the importance her work/album deserves, releasing a album and pretend there isn't anything to promote or talk about doesn't help that much. No matter how good or bad it is, if she doesn't focus on it, it is automatically predicted to go downhill.  

The music is not the problem, her management as a whole IS. She could release "What you need" today and a proper music video, live performances, big events appearances, exposure it might be more likely to succeed more than her last 5 singles combined. 

53 minutes ago, neel21 said:

Lmao what :jfallonlol: Britney never wanted to do pop songs except 1999/2000. If you see every album except BOMT/ OIDIA has urban influences, most heavily on Britney/ ITZ/ Blackout. Circus had Blur, Mannequin, FF has DKMW (not urban, but it is a rock influenced song), BJ had TTB and Glory has  SP and its very very experimental (CE, MM, PS, WYN, CYM).

Pop music is dead, no because Britney stopped releasing classic [pop hits. Lol, thats the weirdest statement I've heard. 

You're basically desiring for artistic confinement. She is free to release whatever songs she wants. And honestly, I would be more happy if she experimented more with her songs, and singles (she needs to join a different label for that ofc). 

Probably a slick pop anthem is fine for her 20th anniversary, but other than that, it would be better for her to experiment with her sound.

Also, lbr, Max Martin has lost his touch (Exhibit A: Katy Perry). Id rather her not be working with him.

Yes, that explains why only BOMT and OIDIA went diamond.

And you are telling it yourself, she's been experimenting with other influences in her past 7 albums. Desiring her to release another straight forward pop record isn't desiring artistic confinement, because at this point she's experimented a lot more with other influences than what she's done in the pop genre. If any, ya'll are the ones that don't want her to stay away from those urban tracks she's been releasing since 2001, as if she wasn't unable to release a good song, with artistic value, that belongs to the pop genre, and that starts a new trend instead of following what Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez started. Britney Spears and Max Martin have the power to come up with a completely new sound that could revolutionize the music scene and give to the pop music a new definition, that other artists would start to follow.

Max Martin hasn't lost his touch. His touch is contaminated by things like Katy Perry, and the artists that have to sing his songs because Britney hasn't worked with him since FF. The day they make a song together that sucks, only then I'll stop asking for another Max Martin song for Britney. I'm sure they wouldn't come up with another EDM style, like FF, because that's in the past already, but they could do something new to shake things up before the decade ends. I repeat, she's experimented a lot since Britney. It's about time that she goes back to her roots and evolve that first sound that she gave us in the beginning.

5 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yes, that explains why only BOMT and OIDIA went diamond.

And you are telling it yourself, she's been experimenting with other influences in her past 7 albums. Desiring her to release another straight forward pop record isn't desiring artistic confinement, because at this point she's experimented a lot more with other influences than what she's done in the pop genre. If any, ya'll are the ones that don't want her to stay away from those urban tracks she's been releasing since 2001, as if she wasn't unable to release a good song, with artistic value, that belongs to the pop genre, and that starts a new trend instead of following what Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez started. Britney Spears and Max Martin have the power to come up with a completely new sound that could revolutionize the music scene and give to the pop music a new definition, that other artists would start to follow.

Max Martin hasn't lost his touch. His touch is contaminated by things like Katy Perry, and the artists that have to sing his songs because Britney hasn't worked with him since FF. The day they make a song together that sucks, only then I'll stop asking for another Max Martin song for Britney. I'm sure they wouldn't come up with another EDM style, like FF, because that's in the past already, but they could do something new to shake things up before the decade ends. I repeat, she's experimented a lot since Britney. It's about time that she goes back to her roots and evolve that first sound that she gave us in the beginning.

Yeah, they went diamond become that was frickin 2000. If they release something like that today, hell, it wouldn't even chart on the hot 100. MUSICAL TASTE/ PREFERRED GENRES CHANGE OVER TIME.

Also, don't fool yourself, BOMT and OIDIA were never her roots. That was the record company trying to make her successful. Why do you think they allowed her to experiment with Britney all of a sudden, in just a year? Because by the time OIDIA had come out, Jive had achieved its goal, making her successful. Anything she released from then on would be (and was) successful. 

She even auditioned a WH song. If teen pop were her roots, she would've auditioned something else. Look at all her unreleased songs. Other than those from FF, almost all others have heavy urban influences, because THAT IS THE SOUND SHE LIKES

You are so right I really think Britney is a prime example of someone who could still be really successful but her image doesn't help really, the whole time she is receiving Disney awards and being celebrated as the queen of pop or princess but not really promoting her amazing albums and getting her music heard by the GP her team is wasting the opportunity they have to make Britney a real influence in current music again like she was in the past. Songs like Toxic are a classic and people like them, it would be amazing for her to do something different with the same staying power that toxic has nearly 15 years on it still get played and enjoyed.

9 hours ago, Britney M. Carey said:

Also, Britney needs controversy. She's been controversial ever since BOMT and I really believe that's one of the biggest reasons for her success and overall phenomena. Ever since Circus, she's been on the decline because she became less and less controversial. Even in FF, people were speculating why she changed so much. She was still intruiging.

During BJ, she started telling people that she was 'boring' and that she's a mom and it made people think that she lost her fun side because she likes to cook rice and be a total mom. If she continues down that 'im boring' road, no amount of artists will make her become successful again. No one is saying that she should do stuff that are outrageous but people have to be able to connect with u somehow. She was seen as a **** bad girl, now she's seen a boring person. She needs to open up to people a bit more. She either puts it too out there or shut off completely. She also needs to ******* stop scrapping videos.

Archived