Current state of pop music and B10

mental mystic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

Yeah my point exactly. It annoys the hell out of me when exhalers keep bringing up Max Martin and that they believe he'll save her career. 

She he doesn't need max and exhalers aren't any different than Larry who is backward thinking. She needs to take risk and be adventurous because people will think she's basic and boring like Katy Perry which is why she's flopping even though Max Martin is the producer which is further proof that he isn't a lifesaver and thank god Britney didn't stick with him.

Who she really needs is Bloodshy, he's capable of creating a variety of sounds for her! Also the music on Glory wasn't the problem for her it was the promotion and handling of the era, her team/RCA handled the era horribly and she waited too long to promote and the promotion was about Vegas and not Glory. 

I don't think she has to go the Urban route with B10 honestly, I mean she certainly can have some Urban influences on the album but it doesn't have to be full on Urban. I think she just needs a very experimental/personal/mature album much like ITZ was for her back in 2003, ITZ got so much attention because it was such a drastic shift for her and the same with Blackout!

I go back and forth on the direction I think B10 should have, but mostly I come back to a very experimental sound almost like Goldfrapp meets Dumblonde with songs like ATWK, Mannequin, HOE, IID, CE, HIR, etc. I also think since we're talking about Urban influences that an album similar to Madonna's Bedtime Stories (aka Madonna's best album) could work for Britney as well because Bedtime Stories is Pop but with a lot of RNB influences. 

My ideal production list for B10:

Bloodshy
Dem Jointz
Flume
Cutfather
Rick Nowels 
Mark Taylor
Brian & Josh
R8dio
ASTR

Exec Prod: Bloodshy & Britney 

17 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Urban music isn't a phase lol, it's been reinventing itself in many mainstream pop eras. If anything is a phase, it's that generic pop music like Kesha, Katy, etc. it came and went with no longevity and it's aged like bread.

Pop was bigger than the shitty music that we have nowadays and it faded, same way that the current music WILL.

• Super Mods
10 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

Who she really needs is Bloodshy, he's capable of creating a variety of sounds for her! Also the music on Glory wasn't the problem for her it was the promotion and handling of the era, her team/RCA handled the era horribly and she waited too long to promote and the promotion was about Vegas and not Glory. 

I don't think she has to go the Urban route with B10 honestly, I mean she certainly can have some Urban influences on the album but it doesn't have to be full on Urban. I think she just needs a very experimental/personal/mature album much like ITZ was for her back in 2003, ITZ got so much attention because it was such a drastic shift for her and the same with Blackout!

I go back and forth on the direction I think B10 should have, but mostly I come back to a very experimental sound almost like Goldfrapp meets Dumblonde with songs like ATWK, Mannequin, HOE, IID, CE, HIR, etc. I also think since we're talking about Urban influences that an album similar to Madonna's Bedtime Stories (aka Madonna's best album) could work for Britney as well because Bedtime Stories is Pop but with a lot of RNB influences. 

My ideal production list for B10:

Bloodshy
Dem Jointz
Flume
Cutfather
Rick Nowels 
Mark Taylor
Brian & Josh
R8dio
ASTR

Exec Prod: Bloodshy & Britney 

No I totally agree with you and yes I would love to have bloodshy onboard cuz like you said, he creates a variety of sounds compared to Max and honestly I think Max is losing his touch but this forum is obsessed with him. I think he's okay.

3 hours ago, Play Time Is Over said:

Pop was bigger than the shitty music that we have nowadays and it faded, same way that the current music WILL.

Lol sure jan. Urban music has dominated the airwaves in any state of generic pop FADS. Even in 2009 where The Fame and Teenage Dream were dominating, Lil Wayne was still able to go #1 on the Hot 100, the gag being he debuted in 1999. :blol:

19 hours ago, Disney Princess said:

Except Glory sounded like almost everything on radio today and the album still flopped :sipney:

And ITZ is a pop album in my opinion :plzexplain:

I think due to mishandling. I mean they had all of that **** happen while trying to jump start an era but MM did pretty well. They prob wasted lot of money on original MM and called it a day after slumber party. I would've tried one more song cause there still were 16 songs that could catch on somewhere

1 hour ago, puppylo16 said:

No I totally agree with you and yes I would love to have bloodshy onboard cuz like you said, he creates a variety of sounds compared to Max and honestly I think Max is losing his touch but this forum is obsessed with him. I think he's okay.

Especially recently. Everyone and their mother used him in 2015

13 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

She has been doing what's 'in' from WB to Glory. Now is the time to go back to her roots and do pure pop, she could bring it back in tbh 

Yeah the beauty with Britney and good pop is it could take bits and pieces from all kinds of genres and make something catchy. Just cause it's pop doesn't mean she can't still be urban or something else, just be pickier and forward thinking not just chasing trends

3 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Lol sure jan. Urban music has dominated the airwaves in any state of generic pop FADS. Even in 2009 where The Fame and Teenage Dream were dominating, Lil Wayne was still able to go #1 on the Hot 100, the gag being he debuted in 1999. :blol:

It's a cycle though. Urban music "dominating" is a bit dramatic. The popularity of urban, like pop, comes in waves. For example, the FULL effect of the electro pop subgenre of pop 2008/2009 Boom Boom Pow, I Gotta Feeling, Poker Face, etc (that led The Fame, Animal/Cannibal, Teenage Dream, LOUD, etc) didn't peak until 2012, where barely any urban artists made the year end charts. Then the charts started seeing the effects of the rise of Adele/Drake/Weeknd/Future simplistic/rap/trap styles that was gaining traction during that electro pop phase, which is where we are currently peaking. Adele, Kanye and Drake, essentially, birthed this era. I've loved it tbh.

Rihanna is a good example to look at as far as mainstream culture taste. The sharp genre shift from the pop of Loud 2010 to Talk That Talk/Unapologetic/Anti really signify the music shift that took place. When she released Diamonds in 2012 and opted out of the traditional upbeat first single, that was a moment. And before that in 2011, We Found Love obviously did a lot for Calvin Harris/EDM/DJs in general, which also contributed to a giant shift in mainstream taste.

All that being said, the comeback of pop as a genre is not far off. Britney was part of the bubblegum wave in the late 90s that gave us Christina and other clones, allowed for the resurgence of acts like Madonna and Janet. Britney benefited from the electro pop wave that hit the late 00s where Gaga/BEP opened doors for Katy, Ke$ha, Femme Fatale, LMFAO, pop Nicki and that entire sound that dominated for years.

All this trap/tropical stuff right now is indeed a phase. Remember Kat Deluna and Iyaz and Sean Kingston and Sean Paul and the island surge of the mid 2000s? It's all a cycle. 

Will bubblegum pop come back? Prob not. Electropop? Prob not. But there is an innovative pop sound waiting to be unleashed that will lead a new wave and what I think some users in this thread are saying is that they are ready for that moment. I am, honestly, because all the new stuff is starting to blur to me. Can't tell the difference between Migos and Lil Yachty and Designer and Future, etc. But I could say the same about 2004/05/06 with Young Joc and Jadakiss and Chamillionaire and Dem Franchise Boys and D4L and every other popular urban act of the time that scored a hit when urban had its moment a decade ago.

Whatever the new mainstream sound becomes, I hope Britney is able to contribute to the movement and make it her own. People thought Madonna lost it with American Life and then she hit us with Hung Up + Confessions on a Dance Floor and reinserted herself back into pop conversation. After Britney Jean and Glory, that's a moment I crave as a Britney fan and I'm not ashamed of that. 

(I am so sorry for quoting you w this long response)

To everyone talking about Glory: my original post had a whole rant on Glory that I erased cause it was too long and off topic lol. I basically said Glory was good but overall it followed a lot of basic pop trends at a time when pop music is dying, and she didn't even pick the right singles or promote it well. A huge step up from BJ but not that innovative. The whole point I was trying to make is that Britney needs to bring something NEW to the table, while still taking into consideration the current music scene (urban is in, basic pop is dying). Glory would sound so ******* boring to me if I wasn't a Britney stan, with the exception of a couple songs (CYM, If I'm Dancing, and Better despite how generic it is, because it's catchy).

Archived